A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A rare Victorian silver Old English Military Thread and Shell pattern soup ladle, of exceptional weight and quality. The pattern has the regular Thread and Shell pattern, double struck (on both sides), but with scrolls instead of shoulders, as with all Military variants (Pickford, Silver Flatware, page 117). The ladle has an interesting engraved family crest, a collared lion between 2 horns. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark GA (George Adams, who took over the Chawner business in 1840), and also includes 2 journeyman's marks S and N (the silversmiths who made the ladle in the Chawner & Co workshop). Ian Pickford, in the book Silver Flatware, describes Old English Military Thread and Shell as "a rare pattern, illustrated in the Chawner & Co. Pattern book(appendix pg 218). Any services and pieces are rare" - page 107. Chawner & Co were the most important firm of silver spoon manufacturers in Victorian England (John Culme, Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, page 82).
A Cape Colony National Rifle Association silver shooting trophy, the Inter Colonial Grand Challenge Shield. The shield is mounted on its original wooden stand, with brass hinge, it also has an additional silver plaque on the back that is engraved "The Grand Challenge Shield 1945". The shield has lovely detail, 6 flags divided by Kings crown, above a ribbon that reads "CAPE COLONY NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION". Below that, the Cape Colony coat of arms with female herald supporters, blowing trumpets. To the right and left Zulu shields and spears above crossed rifles, all above a shooting range scene, with seated adjudicator and spectator with binoculars, surrounded by laurel wreath. The base has a cartouche which reads "INTER COLONIAL GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD". This shield is also found in white metal and copper, this is a sterling silver version, with a full set of clear hallmarks. It is listed in Laidlaw (Commemorative Medals of South Africa, 1017), it was first produced by Mappin & Webb between 1902 and 1910. Ev...
A 9 carat gold Natal Cadet Bisley shooting trophy medallion for 1907. The medallion has the emblem of the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment, used prior to 1910, with the British Royal Coat of Arms above two running antelope. The Royal arms include mottoes "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", and "Dieu en Mon Droit" clearly readable. The medallion has clear hallmarks, including E & Co for Elkington, a leading British silversmith, and the numbers 9 and 375 representing 9 carat gold. The original loop is also gold, and is hallmarked with tiny marks. This medallion would be suitable to be worn as a pendant. Bisley is a small English village that since 1890 has been the home of the National Rifle Association championships, hence the name of the shooting medallion. The Bisley revolver has been used for target shooting since 1894.
A lovely Hanau silver commemorative spoon, with a cast bust of Frederick the Great, with lovely detail. The bust sits on a plaque with the words "Fridericus Borussorum Rex 1740-1786", translated "Frederick King of Prussia". The stem of the spoon is decorative, with dolphins, a crown and a twisted design. The spoon bowl is also decorated with flowers and scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark "n" (Scheffler 489) for Neresheimer, and stylised bunch of grapes (image 1, 3rd hallmark under Neresheimer on www.925-1000.com). The Neresheimer n is also called the "Nuremberg n" (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths). They also include importers mark B.M (struck twice) for Berthold Muller, who for many years was the sole British agent for Neresheimer (Culme). Berthold Muller and Son traded between 1892 and 1915, when Muller changed his name to Miller (we assume as a result of anti-German feeling in London during the First World War). The 2 B.M marks were struck by different punches, the larger one B...
A magnificent Hanau silver serving spoon, commemorating the 100 year anniversary of Frederick the Great (Frederick II of Prussia), whose nickname was "Der Alte Fritz" (Old Fritz). The handle of the spoon is a very detailed full length cast figure, with detail on both the back and front. Frederick is standing on a plinth with the dates "1740-1786", the dates he reigned, on top of the Imperial Prussian Eagle and Crown. The spoon bowl (also cast) is heart shaped, with decorative flowers and foliage. The spoon is excellent quality, suitable for display or use.
Frederick, also Prince Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, modernised the Prussian army and won military acclaim, so much so that even Napoleon regarded him as one of the greatest tactical geniuses of his time.
J.D. Schleissner & Sohne were Hanau's "pre-eminant producer of antique style silverware in the latter 19th century (www.925-1000.com), they exhibited at the 1893 Chicago and 1904 St Louis international expositions. The hallmarks are clear, and inclu...
An important Royal silver brandy saucepan, which was given by Queen Victoria to her grandson Prince Christian Victor (Christle) of Schleswig-Holstein in 1868 as a christening present. The quality of the saucepan is excellent, it is the usual bulbous shape with a spout and turned ivory handle. It has a detachable domed lid, with a hinged projection for covering the spout, and an ivory and silver finial. The interior is gilt, it sits on a raised foot and has the traditional heart shaped join between body and handle. The saucepan and lid are both decorated with scrolling foliage and flowers, which is beautifully engraved. The lid fits snugly, the hinge is excellent, and the handle and finial are firmly secure. The saucepan is engraved "From his Grandmama Victoria R, 14 April 1868" on the front, the back has a scrolling foliate cartouche with the engraved initials "CV" below a coronet. The hallmarks are very clear, and are accompanied by the number 113 struck into the base (perhaps a pattern number?). The base al...
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A rectangular silver tray, beautifully engraved with a picture of the Frigate HMS (His Majesty's Ship) Broadsword, showing very realistic detail, including the flag. The engraving is superb, very fine detail of the ship, and good texturing of the clouds and sea. The tray has loop handles in the same reeded pattern as the applied rim. The tray is good quality, and was retailed by Asprey of London. The hallmarks are clear, except makers mark which is partially worn. "Asprey London" is stamped on the base. HMS Broadsword was a destroyer of the "Weapons" or "Battleaxe" class, it was built in 1944 and launched in 1946. Designed for antisubmarine warfare, she saw extensive service including USA, Malta and the Iceland Patrol. She was retired in 1964, but her name lives on in later ships. HMS Broadsword has an association (www.hmsbroadsword.co.uk, where we sourced the 2 original photo's of HMS Broadsword in action) and is affiliated with the city of Chester.
An early Georgian silver salver with wavy outline and gadrooned rim, set on 3 stepped pad feet, with an imposing coat of arms which is well engraved and very clear. The salver is a good size and weight (over 1 kilogramme), and the hallmarks are very clear.The coat of arms belongs to a peer of the realm, which is indicated by the presence of an open coronet above the armorial, and "supporters" on either side. The arms are "quartered" (4 different coat of arms, indicating several marriages to heiresses, bringing new arms to the family). The motto "Agincourt" indicates participation in the famous battle between England and France in 1415. The salver has an old worn label on the back, which records the family names of the coat of arms - Spencer, ?arnegie (Carnegie?), Fraser, Berkeley. Marks on the rear of the salver show the possibility that the crest has been let in (a later addition) which was common practice when a families' coat of arms changed through marriage (the updated coat of arms would be added to the ...
Italian silver 800 beaker with an interesting military crest, of an eagle with wings outstretched, standing on a laurel wreath, with shield containing letters RI intertwined on chest. The crest is on both sides of the beaker, and the rim is decorated with a wreath.
A lovely set of Jugendstil German 800 silver teaspoons, of very good quality. The spoons all have a cast crest depicting an eagle within a shield, over a cross within another shield. This has the appearance of a military crest, but this is not our area of expertise. The spoons are in their original box, marked "HG Berg, Guldsmed, Sandefjord", which is in Norway - so the possibility exists that the spoons were manufactured in Germany for the Norwegian market, so the crest could be Norwegian.
Lovely set of German 800 silver teaspoons, probably produced for a 3rd Reich organisation, of very good quality and weight, with an attractive scrolling border an an unusual crest. The crest is an angel, a young girl in traditional dress with angels wings, holding a shield containing a crown over 2 crossed arrows and circle. We have been informed that this is a Hitler Youth crest, but as this is not our area of expertise we cannot confirm that. We would welcome any views or comments, and hope we are not offending anyone in the event that it is a Hitler Youth crest. The hallmarks are clear, makers mark HTB, actually H hammer B, for the Hanseatische Silberwarenfabrik AG of Bremen, Germany. It was founded by 2 Bremen jewellers, Brinkmann & Lange, and produced flatware between 1933 and 1937, when it was absorbed into Wilkens. They were approved suppliers to the German 3rd Reich, RZM mark no. 241 of the NSDAP, and are known to have supplied a number of different military organisations.
Lovely silver and enamel brooch celebrating the end of the First World War. A dove is carrying a Victory / Peace banner, enclosed in a laurel wreath.
Plain inkstand with an interesting historical inscription. The glass ink bottles are square cut, and the stand has scrolling borders and knurled feet. The inscription, in both English and Afrikaans, reads: To General Botha in commemoration of the opening by him of the Volksrust-Bethal Railway at Wakkerstroom on his Birthday 27th September 1916". Botha, who was Commandant in charge of the Boer forces in the Anglo Boer War of 1900-1902, became the first Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa in 1910. He remained Prime Minister until his death in 1919.
An important piece of Boer War memorabilia, celebrating the relief of Mafeking. A piecrust salver with beaded border and scrolled engraving. The hallmarks are clear, makers mark BB, possibly Barker Brothers.
The salver has the crest of the Imperial Light Horse (ILH), which was raised in Johannesburg by English speaking South Africans to fight as part of the "Uitlander Army", on the side of the British during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). The crest has 2 crossed flags (Union Jack and Transvaal Republic).
The inscription reads " Officers Patrol, who rode with Major Karri Davies into Mafeking on the night of May 16th 1900. J Dryden, AB Duirs, EW Warby, J Emerton, LM Harvey, G Seymour, HF Francis, EA Betton. Presented to HF Francis by Major Karri Davies."
Major Davies was 2IC of the ILH, and was quite a character. He was a key participant of the Jameson Raid, and spent time in prison after its disasterous end. This salver commemorates his leading the first English contingent into Mafeking, thus ending the si...
Beautiful pair of heavy egg spoons with Madras Artillery crest, in the Fiddle, Thread and Shell pattern. Very clear hallmarks. George Adams was the proprietor of Chawner and Co., the most important firm of silver spoon and fork manufacturers in Victorian England.
Regimental spoon with Feather edge pattern and gilt bowl by George Adams, the highly regarded Victorian spoonmaker. The spoon has an engraved Royal Crown finial with mounted cross, containing 2 Fleur de Lys. The crown is above an 8 pointed star, containing a crest (hunting horn below ICRV) and the motto "Salus Populi Suprema Lex", which translates as "The health of the people is the supreme law". ICRV stands for Inns of Court Rifle Volunteers, which was a regiment supplied by members of the legal profession belonging to the 4 Inns of London (Lincoln's, Gray's, Inner Temple, Middle Temple). The regiment, which was active in the 18th century, was reformed in 1860 as the 23 Middlesex (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteer Corps at Lincoln's Inn. The crest sits above an engraved chalice. The spoon is an unusual size, being larger than a teaspoon but smaller than a dessert spoon. The hallmarks are very clear, and in addition to the usual marks also include an additional mark C, possibly a journeyman's mark.
Unusual spring loaded silver patented bookmark with textured pattern, in full working order. Both arms are hallmarked and stamped "Made in England", in addition to full hallmarks on body. Patent number 257529. Suitable for hard cover books. We think this would have made an excellent gift for a returning serviceman. The rectangular piece slides onto the front cover of a hard cover book, the spring arm reserves the page. The bookmark stays in place when closed and when you are reading.
A silver "two-cigar" case, with Boer War inscription "Dr Kellner, from a Grateful "Australian" Patient, Bloemfontein, 1900". The Australian is in inverted comma's. The case is well made, good quality and gauge, and quite solid. The interior is gilded, and the hallmarks are clear on both sides of the case. H. Matthews was a large and well known Birmingham firm. Bloemfontein was the capital of the Orange Free State, and was surrendered to the British on 13 March 1900. Thirty thousand British troops entered Bloemfontein, and thanks to poor sanitation a typhoid epidemic broke out, which caused hundreds if not thousands of deaths. Doctors (who included Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) were in short supply, with 3 doctors per 350 patients (Pakenham, The Boer War, pg 382) - which no doubt led to the generosity of our unnamed "Australian". Today Bloemfontein hospital is on Kellner Street, we are not sure if there is a connection.