A 15 carat gold and enamel RAF (Royal Air Force) sweetheart brooch, with red and green enamel, perfectly preserved in it's original leather and silk box. The only hallmark present is 15CT for fifteen carat gold. The box is lovely, and reads "Royal Appointment, Gieves Ltd, 21 Old Bond St London W1". Gieves is now Gieves and Hawkes after the acquisition of Hawkes in 1974, they hold Royal Warrants for the Royal Family and the Prince of Wales, now at 1 Savile Row.
A rare set of 6 Victorian Military Fiddle Thread antique silver table forks, each over 90 grammes in weight, they have a lovely feel in the hand. The forks have an engraved family crest of a lion rampant, this is crisp and very clear. The hallmarks on all 6 forks are excellent, and include makers marks GA (George Adams) for Chawner & Co, the most important firm of silver spoon and fork manufacturers in Victorian England, known for excellent quality (these fine forks are no exception), See Culme, Gold & Silversmiths, page 82. Military Fiddle and Thread pattern has scrolls instead of shoulders, as do all military variants, this pattern is described by Pickford (Silver Flatware pg 117) as "a scarce variant of the Fiddle Thread pattern, building a service would be difficult".
An interesting antique silver spoon, used as a prize in a rifle shooting competition in Natal (now Kwazulu Natal), South Africa. The stem has the cast inscription "For Making The Possible", the back of the bowl has an applied plaque, the emblem of the Natal Rifle Association. It contains a seated Boer soldier on a horse, with the motto "Semper Parati" (Always Prepared), and the date 1862, we assume the date the association was formed. The horse and rider are well modelled, as can be seen in the photos. Semper Parati is now the motto of the Boy Scout movement, perhaps Baden Powell encountered it during his time in South Africa during the Boer war.
The spoon was made by the highly regarded Levi & Salaman, and has Birmingham hallmarks for 1904. We had a similar spoon, S 1563, now sold, with the same NRA plaque, but motto "For making the Bulls Eye".
An interesting set of 6 Victorian silver teapoons and matching sugartongs, with a 15th Century soldier carrying a halberd. This appears to be a private pattern, we have not been able to trace it in the pattern books (all assistance welcome). The pattern is very detailed, both on the front and the back, we love these spoons. In addition to the soldier, complete with collar, the front has what could be an apple tree, the back has a shield (unengraved, intended for family crest) and a different flowering plant, with a stipple background. The spoons and tongs are also great quality and a good weight, as one would expect from Elkington. All 7 pieces are clearly hallmarked, they also carry a registration mark "RD105810", so Elkington protected the design. All the spoons are 1892, the tongs are 1893. Elkington was one of the leading British Silversmiths in the 19 and 20th centuries, they were founded in 1836, and are known for their excellent quality.
A fabulous quality Royal Fusiliers City of London Regimental sweetheart brooch, with 77 diamonds set in Platinum and 9 carat gold. The badge consists of a Fused (or smoking) Grenade, above a Tudor rose enclosed by Royal Garter, with motto "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", translated "evil to him who evil thinks", surmounted by Royal crown. The grenade has 63 diamonds, the rose has 11 diamonds, gold lettering surrounded by blue enamel, and the crown has 3 diamonds and red enamel. The pin, clasp and hinge are all solid 9 carat gold, the diamonds are set in platinum. The brooch is hallmarked "9Ct" for 9 carat gold, and "PLAT" for platinum. Platinum usage in high end quality jewellery only commenced at the turn of the 20th century during Edwardian times, it's usage had died out by World War II due to expense, so we can date this brooch to either the Boer War or World War I. The Royal Fusilier (or 7th Regiment of Foot) regiment dates back to 1685, and has seen service in the American War of Independance, Napoleonic War...
An interesting set of 6 Fiddle pattern tableforks, made in 1815, the year of the battle of Waterloo. The forks are a pleasing weight, and very good quality, they have a lovely feel. The forks are engraved with an interesting family crest, a leopards head with an arrow in its mouth, this is unusually engraved on the back of the forks. The hallmarks are excellent, including date letter U for 1815 and makers mark WE/WF for William Eley & William Fearn, who were leading makers of flatware. We welcome any assistance with identification of the family crest.
A collection of 10 sterling silver and enamel souvenir shooting trophy spoons, all with 2 rifles as the handles. Six spoons have crossed rifles, 4 spoons have enamel finials, and 7 are from Africa (Nyasaland, Northern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia - now Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe), with one from South Africa. The spoons include:
1. Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve, RMSB 1952, bare chested labourer crest, London 1911, Wakely & Wheeler, gilded bowl, fabulous quality
2. Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve, bare chested labourer crest, London 1912, Wakely & Wheeler, gilded bowl, fabulous quality
3. Birmingham Forward, enamel city crest of mural crown and arm with hammer (industry), Birmingham 1902, Arthur Fenwick
4. NVR Blantyre Limbe, RMSB 1954, enamel crest of leopard, Birmingham 1952, James Fenton
5. NVR Blantyre Limbe, RMSB 1953, crest of leopard, Birmingham 1953, James Fenton
6. Northern Rhodesia Rifle Association, fish eagle holding fish, no hallmarks
7. Southern Rhodesia Defence Forces, Lion holding tusk, Sheffi...
An antique sterling silver bowl or ash tray, set in the centre with a copper 1 penny Zuid Afrik. Republiek coin dated 1898. The bowl is engraved "Kruger Coinage", still clearly visible but worn from polishing. This penny was part of the first Kruger coinage, initiated in 1892 by President Paul Kruger. The bowl is dated 1900, which co-incides with the Anglo Boer War, we are not sure of the significance. The hallmarks are visible but slightly worn from polishing. The coin is in good condition, it has been protected by the raised silver rim.
A collection of 10 sterling silver rifle shooting trophy and Boer War souvenir spoons. Five spoons have enamel finials, 8 spoons are shooting trophies and 2 spoons are Boer War. The spoons include:
1. P.E.R.C. (Port Elizabeth Rifle Club), E.F. Wilson, 103, enamel shooting range (round medallion), Birmingham 1928, Birmingham Medallion Company, gilded
2. P.E.R.C. (Port Elizabeth Rifle Club), E.F. Wilson, 1927, 100, enamel bulls eye, gilded, crossed rifles, Birmingham 1925, Birmingham Medallion Company
3. & 4. - Toll Gate Miniature Rifle Club, enamel finials with twisted stems, Birmingham 1912, William James Dingley, both engraved "Won by"
5. Man at Arms Competition, Lovely shooting soldier handle, Birmingham 1912, William James Dingley, engraved "Won by EF WILSON PET GRC, score 98, 18 Jan 1913
6. & 7. - Rifle Club, crossed rifles, Birmingham 1909 and 1911, Elkington & Co, engraved "D Coy CP Rifles and A Coy PWCRCPR", nice quality
8. Bloemfontein Rifle Club (English and Afrikaans), City armorial, gilded, B...
A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A rare Victorian silver Old English Military Thread and Shell pattern soup ladle, of exceptional weight and quality. The pattern has the regular Thread and Shell pattern, double struck (on both sides), but with scrolls instead of shoulders, as with all Military variants (Pickford, Silver Flatware, page 117). The ladle has an interesting engraved family crest, a collared lion between 2 horns. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark GA (George Adams, who took over the Chawner business in 1840), and also includes 2 journeyman's marks S and N (the silversmiths who made the ladle in the Chawner & Co workshop). Ian Pickford, in the book Silver Flatware, describes Old English Military Thread and Shell as "a rare pattern, illustrated in the Chawner & Co. Pattern book(appendix pg 218). Any services and pieces are rare" - page 107. Chawner & Co were the most important firm of silver spoon manufacturers in Victorian England (John Culme, Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, page 82).
A Cape Colony National Rifle Association silver shooting trophy, the Inter Colonial Grand Challenge Shield. The shield is mounted on its original wooden stand, with brass hinge, it also has an additional silver plaque on the back that is engraved "The Grand Challenge Shield 1945". The shield has lovely detail, 6 flags divided by Kings crown, above a ribbon that reads "CAPE COLONY NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION". Below that, the Cape Colony coat of arms with female herald supporters, blowing trumpets. To the right and left Zulu shields and spears above crossed rifles, all above a shooting range scene, with seated adjudicator and spectator with binoculars, surrounded by laurel wreath. The base has a cartouche which reads "INTER COLONIAL GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD". This shield is also found in white metal and copper, this is a sterling silver version, with a full set of clear hallmarks. It is listed in Laidlaw (Commemorative Medals of South Africa, 1017), it was first produced by Mappin & Webb between 1902 and 1910. Ev...
A 9 carat gold Natal Cadet Bisley shooting trophy medallion for 1907. The medallion has the emblem of the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment, used prior to 1910, with the British Royal Coat of Arms above two running antelope. The Royal arms include mottoes "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", and "Dieu en Mon Droit" clearly readable. The medallion has clear hallmarks, including E & Co for Elkington, a leading British silversmith, and the numbers 9 and 375 representing 9 carat gold. The original loop is also gold, and is hallmarked with tiny marks. This medallion would be suitable to be worn as a pendant. Bisley is a small English village that since 1890 has been the home of the National Rifle Association championships, hence the name of the shooting medallion. The Bisley revolver has been used for target shooting since 1894.
A lovely Hanau silver commemorative spoon, with a cast bust of Frederick the Great, with lovely detail. The bust sits on a plaque with the words "Fridericus Borussorum Rex 1740-1786", translated "Frederick King of Prussia". The stem of the spoon is decorative, with dolphins, a crown and a twisted design. The spoon bowl is also decorated with flowers and scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark "n" (Scheffler 489) for Neresheimer, and stylised bunch of grapes (image 1, 3rd hallmark under Neresheimer on www.925-1000.com). The Neresheimer n is also called the "Nuremberg n" (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths). They also include importers mark B.M (struck twice) for Berthold Muller, who for many years was the sole British agent for Neresheimer (Culme). Berthold Muller and Son traded between 1892 and 1915, when Muller changed his name to Miller (we assume as a result of anti-German feeling in London during the First World War). The 2 B.M marks were struck by different punches, the larger one B...
A magnificent Hanau silver serving spoon, commemorating the 100 year anniversary of Frederick the Great (Frederick II of Prussia), whose nickname was "Der Alte Fritz" (Old Fritz). The handle of the spoon is a very detailed full length cast figure, with detail on both the back and front. Frederick is standing on a plinth with the dates "1740-1786", the dates he reigned, on top of the Imperial Prussian Eagle and Crown. The spoon bowl (also cast) is heart shaped, with decorative flowers and foliage. The spoon is excellent quality, suitable for display or use.
Frederick, also Prince Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, modernised the Prussian army and won military acclaim, so much so that even Napoleon regarded him as one of the greatest tactical geniuses of his time.
J.D. Schleissner & Sohne were Hanau's "pre-eminant producer of antique style silverware in the latter 19th century (www.925-1000.com), they exhibited at the 1893 Chicago and 1904 St Louis international expositions. The hallmarks are clear, and inclu...
An important Royal silver brandy saucepan, which was given by Queen Victoria to her grandson Prince Christian Victor (Christle) of Schleswig-Holstein in 1868 as a christening present. The quality of the saucepan is excellent, it is the usual bulbous shape with a spout and turned ivory handle. It has a detachable domed lid, with a hinged projection for covering the spout, and an ivory and silver finial. The interior is gilt, it sits on a raised foot and has the traditional heart shaped join between body and handle. The saucepan and lid are both decorated with scrolling foliage and flowers, which is beautifully engraved. The lid fits snugly, the hinge is excellent, and the handle and finial are firmly secure. The saucepan is engraved "From his Grandmama Victoria R, 14 April 1868" on the front, the back has a scrolling foliate cartouche with the engraved initials "CV" below a coronet. The hallmarks are very clear, and are accompanied by the number 113 struck into the base (perhaps a pattern number?). The base al...
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A rectangular silver tray, beautifully engraved with a picture of the Frigate HMS (His Majesty's Ship) Broadsword, showing very realistic detail, including the flag. The engraving is superb, very fine detail of the ship, and good texturing of the clouds and sea. The tray has loop handles in the same reeded pattern as the applied rim. The tray is good quality, and was retailed by Asprey of London. The hallmarks are clear, except makers mark which is partially worn. "Asprey London" is stamped on the base. HMS Broadsword was a destroyer of the "Weapons" or "Battleaxe" class, it was built in 1944 and launched in 1946. Designed for antisubmarine warfare, she saw extensive service including USA, Malta and the Iceland Patrol. She was retired in 1964, but her name lives on in later ships. HMS Broadsword has an association (www.hmsbroadsword.co.uk, where we sourced the 2 original photo's of HMS Broadsword in action) and is affiliated with the city of Chester.
An early Georgian silver salver with wavy outline and gadrooned rim, set on 3 stepped pad feet, with an imposing coat of arms which is well engraved and very clear. The salver is a good size and weight (over 1 kilogramme), and the hallmarks are very clear.The coat of arms belongs to a peer of the realm, which is indicated by the presence of an open coronet above the armorial, and "supporters" on either side. The arms are "quartered" (4 different coat of arms, indicating several marriages to heiresses, bringing new arms to the family). The motto "Agincourt" indicates participation in the famous battle between England and France in 1415. The salver has an old worn label on the back, which records the family names of the coat of arms - Spencer, ?arnegie (Carnegie?), Fraser, Berkeley. Marks on the rear of the salver show the possibility that the crest has been let in (a later addition) which was common practice when a families' coat of arms changed through marriage (the updated coat of arms would be added to the ...
Italian silver 800 beaker with an interesting military crest, of an eagle with wings outstretched, standing on a laurel wreath, with shield containing letters RI intertwined on chest. The crest is on both sides of the beaker, and the rim is decorated with a wreath.
A lovely set of Jugendstil German 800 silver teaspoons, of very good quality. The spoons all have a cast crest depicting an eagle within a shield, over a cross within another shield. This has the appearance of a military crest, but this is not our area of expertise. The spoons are in their original box, marked "HG Berg, Guldsmed, Sandefjord", which is in Norway - so the possibility exists that the spoons were manufactured in Germany for the Norwegian market, so the crest could be Norwegian.
Lovely set of German 800 silver teaspoons, probably produced for a 3rd Reich organisation, of very good quality and weight, with an attractive scrolling border an an unusual crest. The crest is an angel, a young girl in traditional dress with angels wings, holding a shield containing a crown over 2 crossed arrows and circle. We have been informed that this is a Hitler Youth crest, but as this is not our area of expertise we cannot confirm that. We would welcome any views or comments, and hope we are not offending anyone in the event that it is a Hitler Youth crest. The hallmarks are clear, makers mark HTB, actually H hammer B, for the Hanseatische Silberwarenfabrik AG of Bremen, Germany. It was founded by 2 Bremen jewellers, Brinkmann & Lange, and produced flatware between 1933 and 1937, when it was absorbed into Wilkens. They were approved suppliers to the German 3rd Reich, RZM mark no. 241 of the NSDAP, and are known to have supplied a number of different military organisations.
Lovely silver and enamel brooch celebrating the end of the First World War. A dove is carrying a Victory / Peace banner, enclosed in a laurel wreath.
Plain inkstand with an interesting historical inscription. The glass ink bottles are square cut, and the stand has scrolling borders and knurled feet. The inscription, in both English and Afrikaans, reads: To General Botha in commemoration of the opening by him of the Volksrust-Bethal Railway at Wakkerstroom on his Birthday 27th September 1916". Botha, who was Commandant in charge of the Boer forces in the Anglo Boer War of 1900-1902, became the first Prime Minister of the Union of South Africa in 1910. He remained Prime Minister until his death in 1919.
An important piece of Boer War memorabilia, celebrating the relief of Mafeking. A piecrust salver with beaded border and scrolled engraving. The hallmarks are clear, makers mark BB, possibly Barker Brothers.
The salver has the crest of the Imperial Light Horse (ILH), which was raised in Johannesburg by English speaking South Africans to fight as part of the "Uitlander Army", on the side of the British during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). The crest has 2 crossed flags (Union Jack and Transvaal Republic).
The inscription reads " Officers Patrol, who rode with Major Karri Davies into Mafeking on the night of May 16th 1900. J Dryden, AB Duirs, EW Warby, J Emerton, LM Harvey, G Seymour, HF Francis, EA Betton. Presented to HF Francis by Major Karri Davies."
Major Davies was 2IC of the ILH, and was quite a character. He was a key participant of the Jameson Raid, and spent time in prison after its disasterous end. This salver commemorates his leading the first English contingent into Mafeking, thus ending the si...
Beautiful pair of heavy egg spoons with Madras Artillery crest, in the Fiddle, Thread and Shell pattern. Very clear hallmarks. George Adams was the proprietor of Chawner and Co., the most important firm of silver spoon and fork manufacturers in Victorian England.
Regimental spoon with Feather edge pattern and gilt bowl by George Adams, the highly regarded Victorian spoonmaker. The spoon has an engraved Royal Crown finial with mounted cross, containing 2 Fleur de Lys. The crown is above an 8 pointed star, containing a crest (hunting horn below ICRV) and the motto "Salus Populi Suprema Lex", which translates as "The health of the people is the supreme law". ICRV stands for Inns of Court Rifle Volunteers, which was a regiment supplied by members of the legal profession belonging to the 4 Inns of London (Lincoln's, Gray's, Inner Temple, Middle Temple). The regiment, which was active in the 18th century, was reformed in 1860 as the 23 Middlesex (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteer Corps at Lincoln's Inn. The crest sits above an engraved chalice. The spoon is an unusual size, being larger than a teaspoon but smaller than a dessert spoon. The hallmarks are very clear, and in addition to the usual marks also include an additional mark C, possibly a journeyman's mark.
Unusual spring loaded silver patented bookmark with textured pattern, in full working order. Both arms are hallmarked and stamped "Made in England", in addition to full hallmarks on body. Patent number 257529. Suitable for hard cover books. We think this would have made an excellent gift for a returning serviceman. The rectangular piece slides onto the front cover of a hard cover book, the spring arm reserves the page. The bookmark stays in place when closed and when you are reading.
A silver "two-cigar" case, with Boer War inscription "Dr Kellner, from a Grateful "Australian" Patient, Bloemfontein, 1900". The Australian is in inverted comma's. The case is well made, good quality and gauge, and quite solid. The interior is gilded, and the hallmarks are clear on both sides of the case. H. Matthews was a large and well known Birmingham firm. Bloemfontein was the capital of the Orange Free State, and was surrendered to the British on 13 March 1900. Thirty thousand British troops entered Bloemfontein, and thanks to poor sanitation a typhoid epidemic broke out, which caused hundreds if not thousands of deaths. Doctors (who included Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) were in short supply, with 3 doctors per 350 patients (Pakenham, The Boer War, pg 382) - which no doubt led to the generosity of our unnamed "Australian". Today Bloemfontein hospital is on Kellner Street, we are not sure if there is a connection.
A Boer War teaspoon, with a very detailed Lee-Metford rifle as the shaft. The bowl is engraved "Souvenir of the Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1900". The rifle is very detailed, even the strap holes and buckle are visible.The butt of the rifle is engraved Lee-Metford, and the bayonet connects the bowl to the rifle. The hallmarks are very clear, as is the registration number "Rd No 349937". A similar spoon is illustrated in the book "Boer War Memorabilia" by Pieter Oosthuizen, figure 8 on page 119. The Lee-Metford rifle was soon replaced by the Lee-Enfield, which had the advantage of smokeless powder.
A silver bowl bearing the crest of The Kings Royal Rifle Corps, complete with motto "Celer et Audax" (Swift and Bold). The bowl (or possibly ashtray, although we cannot imagine putting ash into such a lovely bowl) is well made, in Arts and Crafts style with hand hammered marks giving lovely texture. The crest is detailed, and has the initials EMV of the silversmith. The date 1914 is significant, being the start of the "Great War", now known as World War I, so was probably made to commemorate the departure of the Corps to the Western Front. The Corps, known today as the "Green Jackets", was expanded to 22 battalions during the war. As riflemen, they were in the thick of trench warfare, and earned 8 Victoria Crosses, but paid the price with the loss of 12824 men.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
An interesting Art Deco cigarette case by Louis Kuppenheim of Pforzheim, Germany, regarded as one of Germany's leading Art Deco silversmiths. The case has a lovely ribbed design, and the clasp is set with an attractive dark blue sapphire cabochon. The interior is gilt. The case is extremely good quality, and has a pleasing weight, and is in the higher grade 900 silver. The case is engraved with a fascinating World War 1 inscription "Major J.D.S. Lloyd, OBE, MC, etc. A reminder of pleasant and unpleasant days spent together and appreciation of many little acts of kindness and help during the advance from Ypres - Waterloo 1918, J.C.W." The hallmarks include makers mark LK (in fancy script), the crown and moon of Germany, and 900 fineness mark.
A set of 6 silver and enamel teaspoons, with the badge of the Transvaal Scottish Regiment. The badge has a Scottish thistle surrounded by heraldic strap and buckle, over the "Star of the Order of the Thistle". The motto "Alba nam Buadh" (Well done, Scotland or Scotland, Home of the Virtues) is underneath the thistle. All 6 teaspoons are fully hallmarked. James Fenton worked from Great Hampton St, Birmingham between 1905 and 1954.
A magnificent silver beaker, decorated with 10 silver staves, which in addition to being decorative greatly improve the grip. It is extremely good quality and weight, and a pleasure to hold. The base is engraved "Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co, Regent St, W", and the hallmarks are clear. The Goldsmiths and Silversmiths company existed from 1880 to 1952, when it was absorbed into Garrards, the Crown Jewellers. Given it's date of 1916, we imagine it was used for water or whisky by an officer in the Great War.
This beaker is a replica of a medieval beaker dated 1496 (Henry VII), that used to belong to Cardinal Wolsey. It is featured in an advertisement for Alexander Clark Co Ltd of Oxford Street, London, priced at 3 pounds 10 shillings, that appeared in The Connoisseur magazine of July 1912, which advertised reproductions of historical and classic cups, including the tudor bowl and cup, and Pompeii jug. High quality reproductions of famous silver items were popular in the early years of the 20th century, they ar...
Magnificent shooting trophy, with chased design of soldiers in uniform shooting across a field at a target, with trees in the background. The trophy is engraved "1866, Won by No 1 Company, John Rothwell Captain Commanding". The interior is gilt.
A Boer War "sweetheart brooch" in 15 carat gold, so we assume the sweetheart was an officer. The brooch carries the badge of an Infantry Regiment, the 19th (County of London) Battalion, St Pancras. It is engraved "South Africa, 1899 - 1902". The gold has a reddish colour, whcih contrasts well with the red and blue enamel. It is lovely quality, even the clasp and pin are in 15 ct gold. Both the brooch and pin are stamped "15ct", these are the only hallmarks. 15 ct gold was only used in Britian between 1854 and 1932, when the 15 ct and 12 ct standards were replaced by 14 carat.
A set of 4 Continental (probably German or Dutch) silver teaspoons with realistically modeled Boer soldier finial, complete with beard, hat, bandolier and rifle. The spoons are 835 grade silver. The Boer finial rests on a plinth, above a 4 sided and twisted stem with traditional mask head above the join to the bowl. The spoons also have a short rat-tail. All 4 spoons are hallmarked "835" and makers mark "B2V".
A 9 carat gold and enamel RAF (Royal Air Force) sweetheart brooch, beautifully preserved in its original box. The pin and box are both very good quality, the pin has lovely detail. The pin is stamped ? CT gold, the number is obscured, we assume it is 9 carat. The gold in the RAF lettering has a red colour, which contrasts nicely against the yellow gold wings and red and green enamel. The retailer was "T&J Perry Ltd, Jewellers & Silversmiths, 124 Regent St W".
An important piece of Boer War memorabilia, celebrating the relief of Mafeking. A piecrust salver with beaded border and scrolled engraving. The hallmarks are clear, makers mark BB, for Barker Brothers. The salver has the crest of the Imperial Light Horse (ILH), which was raised in Johannesburg by English speaking South Africans to fight as part of the "Uitlander Army", on the side of the British during the Anglo-Boer War (1899-1902). The crest has 2 crossed flags (Union Jack and Transvaal Republic). The inscription reads " Officers Patrol, who rode with Major Karri Davies into Mafeking on the night of May 16th 1900. J Dryden, AB Duirs, EW Warby, JE Merton, LM Harvey, G Seymour, HF Francis, EA Betton. Presented to J. Emerton by Major Karri Davies." Major Davies was 2IC of the ILH, and was quite a character. He was a key participant of the Jameson Raid, and spent time in prison after its disasterous end. This salver commemorates his leading the first English contingent into Mafeking, thus ending the siege afte...
An interesting silver spoon, commemorating the 7th Battalion, The Duke of Cambridge Own Middlesex Regiment. The spoon has the regimental badge, a Roman soldier with shield and sword, surrounded by the motto "Pro Rege Patria et Laribus", translated "For King, Home and Country". A laurel wreath surrounds this, and the Royal crown sits on top. The spoon also carries the motto "South Africa 1900", signifying battle honours won during the Boer War, and "1798", which commemorates the Hampstead Volunteers of 1798, the founders of the Regiment. The regiment is known as the "Die Hards", a nickname earned during the Peninsula wars at Albuera in 1811. During the Boer War they were involved in the Relief of Ladysmith, and the attack on Spioenkop. The 7th Battalion were formed in 1907, it was a volunteer Battalion, and also a "special reserve" Battalion, whose duty was supplying drafts to the 4 front line Battalions in time of need. In 1911 (the year the spoon was made, so we assume it commemorates this event), the 7th be...
A lovely 9 carat gold HMS Conway rowing medallion, awarded to L.H. Barradell, rowing at position 5 (we assume of 8). The medallion is beautifully cast, with a very realistically modelled ship. The medallion is perfectly preserved in its original box, marked "Old Fields Limited, Post Office Place, Church St, Liverpool". The hallmarks are very clear and include "9" and "375" indicating 9 carat gold. HMS Conway was a 19th century wooden battleship, used as a Naval Training School for cadets. It was stationed on the Mersey in Liverpool, which accounts for the origin of the medallion. It operated between 1859 and 1953. The motto was "Quit Ye Like Men Be Strong". L.H. Barradell rose to the rank of Commander, he completed his career in Kenya. He was awarded the Legion of Honour (Crois de Chevalier) by the President of the French Republic in recognition of his services during the war, during the battle of Jutland, when he was a Lt RNR (Lieutenant Royal Naval Reserve) (www.hmsconway.org web site). We have now...
An interesting antique silver spoon, used as a prize in a rifle shooting competition in Natal (now Kwazulu Natal), South Africa. The stem has the cast inscription "For Making Central Bulls Eye", the back of the bowl has an applied plaque, the emblem of the Natal Rifle Association. It contains a seated Boer soldier on a horse, with the motto "Semper Parati" (Always Prepared), and the date 1862, we assume the date the association was formed. The horse and rider are well modelled, as can be seen in the photos. Semper Parati is now the motto of the Boy Scout movement, perhaps Baden Powell encountered it during his time in South Africa during the Boer war.
The spoon was made by the highly regarded Levi & Salaman, and has Birmingham hallmarks for 1905.
A Boer War silver belt buckle, with pith helmet above 2 crossed rifles with bayonets attached, surrounded by a wreath with the British national flowers (rose, thistle, shamrock and leek). The engraving is quite attractive. Unfortunately we have not been able to identify the regiment, we have seen nurse's buckles similar to this, but feel the presence of rifles makes a nursing attribution unlikely.
An interesting Irish Silver dish commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising (Irish: Eiri Amach na Casca), also known as the Easter Rebellion or Sinn Fein Rebellion. The dish is circular with a scalloped edge, and contains a sterling silver medallion, with the burning Post Office "AIS EIRI na CASCA", 1916-1966. The back contains 7 signatures who were the signatories of the proclamation, all were executed by the British. They include: Tom Clark, Sean MacDermott, Thomas MacDonagh, Padraig Pearse, Eamon Ceannt, James Connolly, Joseph Plunkett. All were members of the Supreme Council of the Irish Republican Brotherhood (IRB). Their graves in the former military prison of Arbour Hill in Dublin is now a National Monument. The dish has 5 hallmarks in the bowl, including maker's mark RISL for Royal Irish Silver Limited, Hibernia, Harp Crowned, date letter Y and the Sword of Light 1916-1966 Jubilee mark, only used in 1966 to celebrate the anniversary. The medallion is also hallmarked, including mak...
A regimental silver match box cover (large size matchbox), with gold crest of the 21st Empress of India Lancers. The box is engraved "Presented by MJ Stapylton Late 21st Hussars", and stands on 4 bun feet. The box is hallmarked, but these are now worn due to over zealous polishing in the mess. The box is also engraved "Asprey London". Major Miles John Stapylton of the Yorkshire Hussars and 21st Lancers was Lord of the Manor of Eston in Myton, York. He was born in 1869 and married in 1900, he had 3 children. The regimental history is interesting. The were designated 21st Hussars in India in 1861, and in 1897 they were re-designated and equipped as 21st Lancers in Cairo. In 1898 they were the only regular cavalry to serve with the army sent to re-conquer Sudan to end Dervish rule. In the now famous Charge at Omdurman, they lost 21 men and won 3 Victoria Crosses. Winston Churchill participatedin this action as a lieutenant. As a result of the charge, they were awarded the title "21st Empress of India Lancers" by...
A magnificent silver gilt snuffbox with a superb finely detailed battle scene. The gilding on the battle scene has different tones, the base has a deeper rich red tinge, this fades to a lighter yellow gold colour in the sky. The box is exceptional quality and a pleasing weight. The sides and rim are richly decorated with cast flowers and thistles, which leads us to believe it is possibly a Scottish battle scene (we welcome opinions!). The battle is being fought with swords, battleaxes, lances, shields, armour and horses, no sign of firearms. The detail includes a castle in the background, flags, finely detailed armour and armorials on the shield - the work of a master craftsman. The base is engine turned, and has a blank cartouche. The interior lid is engraved "Presented to Thomas Ogilvy Esqr, by the New Quay Company of Manchester, as a mark of their gratitude, for his great attention & trouble as arbiter, in the investigation of the disputed claim, made on them by Messrs Francis Philips & Sons, 1829". The en...
A very interesting Norwegian silver Liberation spoon, made to commemorate the liberation of Norway from German occupation at the end of the Second World War. The spoon has a stylised well built male in Art Deco style with arms aloft holding a circular shield, with the Norwegian crown on a radiating 4 leaf clover, the figure has broken the chains of oppression which connect with the bowl. The circular bowl is embossed "NORGE 1945, BRUTT BLEV LENKER BAND OG TVANG", translated "Broken were chains, ties and constraints", a line taken from Ibsen's Peer Gynt. The back of the spoon is plain, and the hallmarks are clear - makers mark NM, 830.S (830 grade silver), goblet (makers symbol), letter N and MADE IN NORWAY. This particular spoon was made in two different sizes, this is the larger (and rarer) version, suitable for use as a serving spoon. Thorvald Marthinsen Solvvarefabrikk was based in Tonsberg.
An interesting antique military silver trophy spoon, awarded by the NRA (National Rifle Association) of Britain as a shooting trophy. The spoon has a NRA medallion set into it, with a scroll engraved "NRA" above the English Coat of Arms, complete with motto's "Dieu et Mon Droit" and "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense" above an enamelled badge with 2 running antelope. The spoon is substantial and very good quality, with scrolls surrounding the coat of arms, and a leaf pattern on the stem. The back of the spoon is engraved "Emma Thresh Trophy 1921". The Emma Thresh Trophy belongs to the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment. The trophy itself is 16 kilograms of silver, and was donated in 1903 by Emma Thresh, as the shooting trophy for Colonial Forces. The spoon also has a registration number, RD444590, which appears twice on the spoon.
A 9 carat gold and green enamel sweetheart brooch, for the Irish regiment the Royal Ulster Rifles. The brooch has the regimental crest of Irish winged harp below Royal crown, and motto " Quis Separabit" (Who shall separate us). It also has a shamrock and hunting horn below the harp, the detail is lovely, this is a very good quality brooch. It is mounted on original gold brooch safety pin, which is in perfect working order. It is stamped with 9CT indicating it is 9 carat gold. The original leather box with gold trim is also lovely and well preserved, even the silk lining is still good. It is marked "W.P. Lewis & Co, Goldsmiths, Successors to Pim Bros Ltd, 19 Exchequer St, Dublin", the original retailer. The Royal Ulster Rifles also served in the Anglo Boer War, so this brooch could be older than our World War 1 date, as sweetheart brooches were also popular then. As this is a high quality gold brooch, it probably would have been presented by an officer. The Royal Ulster Rifles have won 7 Victoria Crosses, 4 in...
A Cape silver snuff box, with an intriguing later inscription with both Bedfordshire and Boer War connections. The snuff box is rectangular with a shell thumb piece, and has typically Cape wriggle work engraving around the sides, which is worn from use. The interior is gilded, and has a later engraved inscription "Frank Pym from Frank Shuttleworth Xmas 1911". The box has a very clear JML makers mark on the lid. The box is well made, has very pleasing snug closure, very suitable for use. Frank Shuttleworth (of Old Warden, Biggleswade) was High Sherriff of Bedfordshire in 1891, he was followed by Francis Pym (of Hassells Hall, Sandy) in 1903. Shuttleworth (Colonel) raised the Bedfordshire Imperial Yeomanry in 1901 for service in the Boer War, we assume he acquired this Cape Silver snuffbox during his service in South Africa, answering the question why a Cape silver snuffbox has a Bedfordshire inscription. The Bedfordshire Yeomanry also served later in both World Wars. The Shuttleworth name today is known due ...
A fabulous quality gold and Diamond World War II Sweetheart brooch, for the Gordon Highlanders Regiment. The brooch has a textured 9 carat gold stags head with impressive antlers, green cabochon eyes (we assume emerald) and two red faceted stone nostrils (we assume ruby). The stags head is surrounded in a wreath of 18 leaves (white 9 carat gold), each leaf contains a diamond, and sits above a crown (which also contains 5 diamonds, so 23 diamonds in total, all are present). The regimental motto "BYDAND", translated as "Stand and Fight", in gold letters set in blue enamel sits in a gold scroll at the base. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark J.W.B, 9 and .375 indicating 9 carat gold, anchor town mark for Birmingham and date letter R for 1941. The pin is also hallmarked 9 .375 indicating it is also 9 carat gold. John William Barrett was a manufacturing jeweller who worked between 1903 and 1953, a number of other high quality sweetheart brooches are known by him, so we assume this was an area of spec...
A Military Victorian silver presentation snuff box, with an erotic engraving of an amorous couple hidden away from view on the base. This is a pleasing quality, substantial in size and weight, more of a table snuff box intended for a desk than the portable versions intended for a pocket. The box is rectangular, with raised lid and base, and is casket shaped with engine turned sides. It also has applied cast foliate rims (base, lid and around the presentation panel), these have exquisite detail, overall a very attractive box. The engraved inscription reads "PRESENTED TO GEORGE BOYD ESQr. by the 20th R.R.V. 1863", and is supported by scrolls (note engraving is 18 years later than box was made). The base is engraved with a erotic scene, very finely engraved with loads of detail, this is protected by the base rim, so perfectly preserved. The interior is gilded with a beautiful lemon gold original gilding, it does not appear this box has seen much use. The hallmarks on both lid and base are very clear, maker mark ...
A 20th Lancers Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Enamel sweetheart brooch. The brooch features the traditional crossed lances with flying pennons, with Royal crown above, LANCERS scroll below and XX in the centre, denoting the regiment as 20th Lancers. The brooch is 15 carat gold, the 2 X's are platinum set with 18 diamonds, all are present. The crown has red enamel, the pennons red and white enamel, and LANCERS blue enamel, all enamel is perfect. The brooch is hallmarked "15 ct & PT.", indicating 15 carat gold and platinum, which was often used in English jewellery from circa 1890 until 1932. Platinum use in jewellery became popular in Edwardian times, 15 carat gold was used between 1854 and 1932, when it was replaced by 14 carat gold. The 20th Lancers was a regiment of the British Indian Army, which saw service between 1921 and 1937. Today both India and Pakistan have a 20th Lancers regiment. This brooch is accompanied by a valuation certificate from Gemlab confirming authenticity of diamonds and that the brooch ...