An interesting set of 6 Victorian silver teapoons and matching sugartongs, with a 15th Century soldier carrying a halberd. This appears to be a private pattern, we have not been able to trace it in the pattern books (all assistance welcome). The pattern is very detailed, both on the front and the back, we love these spoons. In addition to the soldier, complete with collar, the front has what could be an apple tree, the back has a shield (unengraved, intended for family crest) and a different flowering plant, with a stipple background. The spoons and tongs are also great quality and a good weight, as one would expect from Elkington. All 7 pieces are clearly hallmarked, they also carry a registration mark "RD105810", so Elkington protected the design. All the spoons are 1892, the tongs are 1893. Elkington was one of the leading British Silversmiths in the 19 and 20th centuries, they were founded in 1836, and are known for their excellent quality.
A fabulous quality Royal Fusiliers City of London Regimental sweetheart brooch, with 77 diamonds set in Platinum and 9 carat gold. The badge consists of a Fused (or smoking) Grenade, above a Tudor rose enclosed by Royal Garter, with motto "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", translated "evil to him who evil thinks", surmounted by Royal crown. The grenade has 63 diamonds, the rose has 11 diamonds, gold lettering surrounded by blue enamel, and the crown has 3 diamonds and red enamel. The pin, clasp and hinge are all solid 9 carat gold, the diamonds are set in platinum. The brooch is hallmarked "9Ct" for 9 carat gold, and "PLAT" for platinum. Platinum usage in high end quality jewellery only commenced at the turn of the 20th century during Edwardian times, it's usage had died out by World War II due to expense, so we can date this brooch to either the Boer War or World War I. The Royal Fusilier (or 7th Regiment of Foot) regiment dates back to 1685, and has seen service in the American War of Independance, Napoleonic War...
An interesting set of 6 Fiddle pattern tableforks, made in 1815, the year of the battle of Waterloo. The forks are a pleasing weight, and very good quality, they have a lovely feel. The forks are engraved with an interesting family crest, a leopards head with an arrow in its mouth, this is unusually engraved on the back of the forks. The hallmarks are excellent, including date letter U for 1815 and makers mark WE/WF for William Eley & William Fearn, who were leading makers of flatware. We welcome any assistance with identification of the family crest.
A collection of 10 sterling silver and enamel souvenir shooting trophy spoons, all with 2 rifles as the handles. Six spoons have crossed rifles, 4 spoons have enamel finials, and 7 are from Africa (Nyasaland, Northern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia - now Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe), with one from South Africa. The spoons include:
1. Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve, RMSB 1952, bare chested labourer crest, London 1911, Wakely & Wheeler, gilded bowl, fabulous quality
2. Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve, bare chested labourer crest, London 1912, Wakely & Wheeler, gilded bowl, fabulous quality
3. Birmingham Forward, enamel city crest of mural crown and arm with hammer (industry), Birmingham 1902, Arthur Fenwick
4. NVR Blantyre Limbe, RMSB 1954, enamel crest of leopard, Birmingham 1952, James Fenton
5. NVR Blantyre Limbe, RMSB 1953, crest of leopard, Birmingham 1953, James Fenton
6. Northern Rhodesia Rifle Association, fish eagle holding fish, no hallmarks
7. Southern Rhodesia Defence Forces, Lion holding tusk, Sheffi...
An antique sterling silver bowl or ash tray, set in the centre with a copper 1 penny Zuid Afrik. Republiek coin dated 1898. The bowl is engraved "Kruger Coinage", still clearly visible but worn from polishing. This penny was part of the first Kruger coinage, initiated in 1892 by President Paul Kruger. The bowl is dated 1900, which co-incides with the Anglo Boer War, we are not sure of the significance. The hallmarks are visible but slightly worn from polishing. The coin is in good condition, it has been protected by the raised silver rim.
A collection of 10 sterling silver rifle shooting trophy and Boer War souvenir spoons. Five spoons have enamel finials, 8 spoons are shooting trophies and 2 spoons are Boer War. The spoons include:
1. P.E.R.C. (Port Elizabeth Rifle Club), E.F. Wilson, 103, enamel shooting range (round medallion), Birmingham 1928, Birmingham Medallion Company, gilded
2. P.E.R.C. (Port Elizabeth Rifle Club), E.F. Wilson, 1927, 100, enamel bulls eye, gilded, crossed rifles, Birmingham 1925, Birmingham Medallion Company
3. & 4. - Toll Gate Miniature Rifle Club, enamel finials with twisted stems, Birmingham 1912, William James Dingley, both engraved "Won by"
5. Man at Arms Competition, Lovely shooting soldier handle, Birmingham 1912, William James Dingley, engraved "Won by EF WILSON PET GRC, score 98, 18 Jan 1913
6. & 7. - Rifle Club, crossed rifles, Birmingham 1909 and 1911, Elkington & Co, engraved "D Coy CP Rifles and A Coy PWCRCPR", nice quality
8. Bloemfontein Rifle Club (English and Afrikaans), City armorial, gilded, B...
A 20th Lancers Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Enamel sweetheart brooch. The brooch features the traditional crossed lances with flying pennons, with Royal crown above, LANCERS scroll below and XX in the centre, denoting the regiment as 20th Lancers. The brooch is 15 carat gold, the 2 X's are platinum set with 18 diamonds, all are present. The crown has red enamel, the pennons red and white enamel, and LANCERS blue enamel, all enamel is perfect. The brooch is hallmarked "15 ct & PT.", indicating 15 carat gold and platinum, which was often used in English jewellery from circa 1890 until 1932. Platinum use in jewellery became popular in Edwardian times, 15 carat gold was used between 1854 and 1932, when it was replaced by 14 carat gold. The 20th Lancers was a regiment of the British Indian Army, which saw service between 1921 and 1937. Today both India and Pakistan have a 20th Lancers regiment. This brooch is accompanied by a valuation certificate from Gemlab confirming authenticity of diamonds and that the brooch ...
A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A rare Victorian silver Old English Military Thread and Shell pattern soup ladle, of exceptional weight and quality. The pattern has the regular Thread and Shell pattern, double struck (on both sides), but with scrolls instead of shoulders, as with all Military variants (Pickford, Silver Flatware, page 117). The ladle has an interesting engraved family crest, a collared lion between 2 horns. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark GA (George Adams, who took over the Chawner business in 1840), and also includes 2 journeyman's marks S and N (the silversmiths who made the ladle in the Chawner & Co workshop). Ian Pickford, in the book Silver Flatware, describes Old English Military Thread and Shell as "a rare pattern, illustrated in the Chawner & Co. Pattern book(appendix pg 218). Any services and pieces are rare" - page 107. Chawner & Co were the most important firm of silver spoon manufacturers in Victorian England (John Culme, Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, page 82).
A Cape Colony National Rifle Association silver shooting trophy, the Inter Colonial Grand Challenge Shield. The shield is mounted on its original wooden stand, with brass hinge, it also has an additional silver plaque on the back that is engraved "The Grand Challenge Shield 1945". The shield has lovely detail, 6 flags divided by Kings crown, above a ribbon that reads "CAPE COLONY NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION". Below that, the Cape Colony coat of arms with female herald supporters, blowing trumpets. To the right and left Zulu shields and spears above crossed rifles, all above a shooting range scene, with seated adjudicator and spectator with binoculars, surrounded by laurel wreath. The base has a cartouche which reads "INTER COLONIAL GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD". This shield is also found in white metal and copper, this is a sterling silver version, with a full set of clear hallmarks. It is listed in Laidlaw (Commemorative Medals of South Africa, 1017), it was first produced by Mappin & Webb between 1902 and 1910. Ev...
A 9 carat gold Natal Cadet Bisley shooting trophy medallion for 1907. The medallion has the emblem of the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment, used prior to 1910, with the British Royal Coat of Arms above two running antelope. The Royal arms include mottoes "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", and "Dieu en Mon Droit" clearly readable. The medallion has clear hallmarks, including E & Co for Elkington, a leading British silversmith, and the numbers 9 and 375 representing 9 carat gold. The original loop is also gold, and is hallmarked with tiny marks. This medallion would be suitable to be worn as a pendant. Bisley is a small English village that since 1890 has been the home of the National Rifle Association championships, hence the name of the shooting medallion. The Bisley revolver has been used for target shooting since 1894.
A lovely Hanau silver commemorative spoon, with a cast bust of Frederick the Great, with lovely detail. The bust sits on a plaque with the words "Fridericus Borussorum Rex 1740-1786", translated "Frederick King of Prussia". The stem of the spoon is decorative, with dolphins, a crown and a twisted design. The spoon bowl is also decorated with flowers and scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark "n" (Scheffler 489) for Neresheimer, and stylised bunch of grapes (image 1, 3rd hallmark under Neresheimer on www.925-1000.com). The Neresheimer n is also called the "Nuremberg n" (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths). They also include importers mark B.M (struck twice) for Berthold Muller, who for many years was the sole British agent for Neresheimer (Culme). Berthold Muller and Son traded between 1892 and 1915, when Muller changed his name to Miller (we assume as a result of anti-German feeling in London during the First World War). The 2 B.M marks were struck by different punches, the larger one B...
A magnificent Hanau silver serving spoon, commemorating the 100 year anniversary of Frederick the Great (Frederick II of Prussia), whose nickname was "Der Alte Fritz" (Old Fritz). The handle of the spoon is a very detailed full length cast figure, with detail on both the back and front. Frederick is standing on a plinth with the dates "1740-1786", the dates he reigned, on top of the Imperial Prussian Eagle and Crown. The spoon bowl (also cast) is heart shaped, with decorative flowers and foliage. The spoon is excellent quality, suitable for display or use.
Frederick, also Prince Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, modernised the Prussian army and won military acclaim, so much so that even Napoleon regarded him as one of the greatest tactical geniuses of his time.
J.D. Schleissner & Sohne were Hanau's "pre-eminant producer of antique style silverware in the latter 19th century (www.925-1000.com), they exhibited at the 1893 Chicago and 1904 St Louis international expositions. The hallmarks are clear, and inclu...
An important Royal silver brandy saucepan, which was given by Queen Victoria to her grandson Prince Christian Victor (Christle) of Schleswig-Holstein in 1868 as a christening present. The quality of the saucepan is excellent, it is the usual bulbous shape with a spout and turned ivory handle. It has a detachable domed lid, with a hinged projection for covering the spout, and an ivory and silver finial. The interior is gilt, it sits on a raised foot and has the traditional heart shaped join between body and handle. The saucepan and lid are both decorated with scrolling foliage and flowers, which is beautifully engraved. The lid fits snugly, the hinge is excellent, and the handle and finial are firmly secure. The saucepan is engraved "From his Grandmama Victoria R, 14 April 1868" on the front, the back has a scrolling foliate cartouche with the engraved initials "CV" below a coronet. The hallmarks are very clear, and are accompanied by the number 113 struck into the base (perhaps a pattern number?). The base al...
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A rectangular silver tray, beautifully engraved with a picture of the Frigate HMS (His Majesty's Ship) Broadsword, showing very realistic detail, including the flag. The engraving is superb, very fine detail of the ship, and good texturing of the clouds and sea. The tray has loop handles in the same reeded pattern as the applied rim. The tray is good quality, and was retailed by Asprey of London. The hallmarks are clear, except makers mark which is partially worn. "Asprey London" is stamped on the base. HMS Broadsword was a destroyer of the "Weapons" or "Battleaxe" class, it was built in 1944 and launched in 1946. Designed for antisubmarine warfare, she saw extensive service including USA, Malta and the Iceland Patrol. She was retired in 1964, but her name lives on in later ships. HMS Broadsword has an association (www.hmsbroadsword.co.uk, where we sourced the 2 original photo's of HMS Broadsword in action) and is affiliated with the city of Chester.
An early Georgian silver salver with wavy outline and gadrooned rim, set on 3 stepped pad feet, with an imposing coat of arms which is well engraved and very clear. The salver is a good size and weight (over 1 kilogramme), and the hallmarks are very clear.The coat of arms belongs to a peer of the realm, which is indicated by the presence of an open coronet above the armorial, and "supporters" on either side. The arms are "quartered" (4 different coat of arms, indicating several marriages to heiresses, bringing new arms to the family). The motto "Agincourt" indicates participation in the famous battle between England and France in 1415. The salver has an old worn label on the back, which records the family names of the coat of arms - Spencer, ?arnegie (Carnegie?), Fraser, Berkeley. Marks on the rear of the salver show the possibility that the crest has been let in (a later addition) which was common practice when a families' coat of arms changed through marriage (the updated coat of arms would be added to the ...
Italian silver 800 beaker with an interesting military crest, of an eagle with wings outstretched, standing on a laurel wreath, with shield containing letters RI intertwined on chest. The crest is on both sides of the beaker, and the rim is decorated with a wreath.
A lovely set of Jugendstil German 800 silver teaspoons, of very good quality. The spoons all have a cast crest depicting an eagle within a shield, over a cross within another shield. This has the appearance of a military crest, but this is not our area of expertise. The spoons are in their original box, marked "HG Berg, Guldsmed, Sandefjord", which is in Norway - so the possibility exists that the spoons were manufactured in Germany for the Norwegian market, so the crest could be Norwegian.
Lovely set of German 800 silver teaspoons, probably produced for a 3rd Reich organisation, of very good quality and weight, with an attractive scrolling border an an unusual crest. The crest is an angel, a young girl in traditional dress with angels wings, holding a shield containing a crown over 2 crossed arrows and circle. We have been informed that this is a Hitler Youth crest, but as this is not our area of expertise we cannot confirm that. We would welcome any views or comments, and hope we are not offending anyone in the event that it is a Hitler Youth crest. The hallmarks are clear, makers mark HTB, actually H hammer B, for the Hanseatische Silberwarenfabrik AG of Bremen, Germany. It was founded by 2 Bremen jewellers, Brinkmann & Lange, and produced flatware between 1933 and 1937, when it was absorbed into Wilkens. They were approved suppliers to the German 3rd Reich, RZM mark no. 241 of the NSDAP, and are known to have supplied a number of different military organisations.