A lovely blue and white enamel and silver buckle of very good quality, in a circular floral shape. The buckle has a separate silver loop for attachment, and 4 matching silver and enamel buttons, complete with fastening attachment. The buckle is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, the buttons are all stamped "Sterling", probably of continental origin. Levi and Salaman were known for their souvenir spoons and enamel novelties and jewellery.
A lovely silver belt buckle, decorated with a mother of pearl flower with purple, white and orange colours, which change colour as it catches the light. The buckle is also engraved with leaves and flowers in bright cut fashion. The buckle has Birmingham hallmarks, with makers or retailers mark "FHA Ld" overstriking other marks, including the date letter. FH Adams used this mark between 1908 and 1915, they worked from New John Street. Given the style of decoration and lovely mother of pearl work, it is possible the buckle is continental in origin, and received Birmingham marks after import into Britian.
A set of six silver teaspoons with enamel finials, 3 with a swimmer and 3 with a motorcyclist. The teaspoons have an attractive stem, and all 6 are fully hallmarked on the back of the bowl, and all are stamped "England". The enamels were hand painted, as the details on each differ slightly. We can only guess as to their origin, perhaps a special commission for a family involved in both sports.
A lovely silver and enamel fob, depicting a footballer in early 20th century dress. The fob would have been attached to a silver "Albert" or pocketwatch chain. The hallmarks are very clear.
A lovely golfing memorabilia teaspoon, with enamel finial of a lady golfer in early 20th century dress. The teaspoon shaft has an attractive design, and the hallmarks are clear. A.J. Bailey worked from the Everest works in Tenby Street.
A lovely enamel silver cigarette case with a bespectacled golfer swinging a wood, with flag visible behind him. The enamel is very good quality, well painted with lots of detail. The interior is gilt, and both sides of the box are hallmarked with clear marks. Blanckensee & Son was established in 1826, and by the turn of the century they had a large export trade and London showrooms. In the Jewellers exhibition of 1913, Blanckensee had "two of the prettiest windows in the exhibition", which included enamel cigarette cases (Culme, Directory of Silversmiths 1838 - 1914).
A large size enamel silver engine turned cigarette case, depicting a scantily clad 1940's pin-up girl. The interior is gilt, and is engraved "Brian from Mamie 19th December 1950". Hallmarks are clear, including "Made in England", both sides are hallmarked, even the clasp has a .925 hallmark. W.T. Toghill & Co worked between 1927 and 1951.
Magnificent enamel silver cigarette case, depicting a Boston Terrier, (brindle with white muzzle) of very good quality. The detail of the enamel is extremely good. The box is engine turned, and has a gilt interior. Both sides of the box are hallmarked with clear marks. John Thompson & Sons, which was formed in the 1860's, still trades as a Jewellers at 20 Rosebury Ave, London.
A pair of Russian silver and enamel teaspoons, with twisted stems and decorated enamel bowls and stems. These spoons are 88 grade silver as opposed to the commoner 84 grade, and were made in Moskow, as indicated by the delta (triangle) next to the Kokoshnik. The makers mark we believe to be that of Ivan Khlebnikov, an important maker who received the Imperial Warrant, and who specialised in enamel. The hallmarks are small but discernable. (Note: - as we are not experts in Russian silver, we cannot vouch for our identification).
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
A boxed set of 6 silver enamel commemorative teaspoons, with enamel "Southern Rhodesia" with coat of arms, and cast bowls featuring "Rhodes Statue, Bulawayo". Cecil John Rhodes was a British empire builder, who obtained mineral rights in the territory later to bear his name in 1888. Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was the name used for the British colony between 1901 and 1964. The spoons are in their original box, and were retailed by Birch & Gaydon, "Watchmakers to the Admiralty", of Fenchurch street, London. The hallmarks are clear on all spoons, although the makers mark (present but unidentified) is poorly struck and only partially visible.
A rare silver and green enamel annular brooch designed by Alexander Ritchie, the famous Iona silversmith. The brooch has a Gaelic inscription "A h-uile latha sona dhuit", translated "May all your days be happy". These brooches are traditional wedding presents to celebrate a marriage. The Alexander Ritchie website (see our links page) shows 2 similar brooches, one in blue and the other in red enamel, both are described as rare, they do not show a green enamel example. Ritchie began to use the Birmingham assay office in 1931, and he had close links to the Birmingham firm of Darby & Sons, who made items for him. After Ritchie's death in 1941, some of his original moulds were used by Darby until the 1950's, this is one of these (see Ritchie website). The hallmarks are small but visible, the pin is also hallmarked.
Beautiful, reversible blue enamel pendant and choker, designed by Bjorn Sigurd Ostern for David Andersen. The pendant is reversible, and looks remarkably different when worn the different ways. It hangs very well, and is most striking when worn. The choker is original, and is also silver. Ostern was the chief designer for Andersen between 1961 and 1985. The pendant is clearly hallmarked, David-Andersen, Norway Sterling 925S, INV.B.S.O., and the choker is also hallmarked Andersen and 925S.