A rare Sampson Mordan silver hatching chick spoon, it has previously been described as a baby feeding spoon, but could also be a castor sugar spoon. The hatching chick will be familiar to Sampson Mordan collectors, it is often seen as a pincushion. The detail and quality are excellent, the chick has open mouth and open eyes, and a gilded interior. The chick has an Albany pattern handle, which was a popular pattern at the turn of the 20th century (also called Queen Anne pattern by Francis Higgins). We believe this is a rare item, we have not seen it described before in the literature. We have noted another similar example that appeared on auction, this one had greenstone eyes, and was described as a baby feeding spoon - but given the gilded interior, it could have been designed for spreading castor sugar - all thoughts welcome. The spoon has clear SM&Co makers mark (this mark used between 1903-1914 by Mordan), and worn but legible hallmarks for Chester 1906 (date letter clear). The spoon also has a clear desig...
An antique sterling silver shoe, we hesitate to call it miniature as it is almost real size, perhaps a child's size, we assume originally intended as a sugar bowl. It is in the traditional form as silver miniature shoes, a replica of a 16th century court shoe, profusely decorated with flowers, leaves and scrolls, with a bow on the front, and shaped heel at the back. it has been well preserved in its original box (silk and velvet, a good quality box), the box reads "Cutler Jeweller Jersey". The shoe is clearly hallmarked, the hallmarks hidden in the decoration but clearly legible, the base of the heel is also hallmarked. JF Cutler was a prestigious Jeweller who operated from 2 Queen's Street (still a jeweller today trading as Goldsmiths), he is known to have been there between 1900 and 1920.
A rare Sampson Mordan sterling silver thermometer case, made to be attached to a chatelaine. The case is tubular, the sliding lid also attached to the chain so it can never be lost. This is a quality item, extremely well made. The original chain is connected to the lid and body with 6 silver eyes, it also has suspension link for attachment to chatelaine. The body is plain apart from incised circles, the base and lid have a raised circular end. The base of the tube is stamped with number 13. The tube is clearly hallmarked with Chester marks for 1910, alongside worn but legible makers mark, all underneath a clear "S. MORDAN & Co". The lid is not hallmarked. The thermometer (which is not working) is marked "SM Made in China" with centigrade symbol, we assume it is not original, but are not sure if the SM could be Sampson Mordan?
A set of 4 sterling silver fob medallions, with a bicycle and rider, awarded as cycling trophies. One medallion has a 9 carat gold cycling plaque, this was awarded as a first prize. 2 Medallions are identical, the third has same central cycling plaque with differnet outline, and the 4th has a different gold cyclist. All four medallions were awarded by FWCC (possibly Foster Wheeler Cycling Club) in 1937 to R Richardson, all as first or second prizes for Club 25, 30 or 50 (we assume different distances). All 4 medallions are in excellent condition, and all are clearly hallmarked for Chester 1934 and 1935 by maker TJS, Thomas James Skelton who worked between 1909 and 1961 in Birmingham, they specialised in fob medallions.
An interesting set of 6 sterling silver rat tail Hanoverian pattern teaspoons, retailed by Liberty, made to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, with hallmarks from 6 different towns - London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Chester, Glasgow and Edinburgh. The spoons have engraved owners initials J&J. All 6 spoons also have the optional coronation mark used in 1952 and 1953. All of the hallmarks are well struck and excellent, note the different style makers mark for Roberts & Belk used on the London spoon. The spoons are in original box (note condition and water damage from photos), exterior reads "British Hallmarks", interior reads "Liberty, British Hallmarks, London Leopards Head. Birmingham anchor, Sheffield crown, Chester three sheaves with sword, Glasgow Tree, Edinburgh castle", with pictures of the hallmarks. This set would make an excellent gift to a young collector interested in hallmarks.
An Exeter silver sifter ladle in the Fiddle pattern, with an engraved family crest featuring a dog or wolf. The sifter is the traditional shape, with beautiful scroll and cross-hatch piercing. The hallmarks are excellent, and include makers mark JAP, Victoria duty mark, lion passant, castle town mark and date letter gothic C for 1839. James Andrew Page worked between 1833 and 1862 in Plymouth, he died in 1898. In 1862 the business became Page, Keen & Page, which survived being destroyed by bombs in 1941, and merged with Bowdens in 1970. Page, Keen & Page produced interesting silver replica spoons complete with early Plymouth hallmarks.
A provincial silver Seal Top spoon, with an acanthus baluster seal top, which is probably a Taunton casting. The seal top is well made, and has remnants of gilding throughout, especially in the recessed areas. The stem is flattened hexagonal, and the bowl is the traditional fig shape, and it has a small rat-tail . The seal top has remnants of prick engraving, some pricks clearly visible, but not enough to read what was engraved. The spoon bowl itself is the traditional shape, with deep bowl, curving down from the stem. The spoon is struck 3 times by the same makers mark, once in the bowl and twice on the stem. The marks are not very clear, either they are worn or more probably struck with a worn punch. The punch has a rough shield shape with irregular edge, with a trifid top edge (Poole, Identifying British Silver, punch shapes, pg 15). The figure in the punch has a smaller roughly circular shape on top of a larger circular shape, our imagination runs to a crown over rose, piece of fruit or even a bird (with ...
A very interesting West Country Provincial Apostle spoon, made by Thomas Dare II of Taunton. The Apostle has a circular nimbus with flying dove, the modelling is slightly crude (for example facial features not very distinct), his right hand is higher than his left, he appears to be holding something stretching between both hands, possibly the bat of St James, but this could also be a fold in his robe. He stands on the usual pedestal, and retains a pleasing amount of the original gilding. The join is flat (as opposed to London made V joint spoons), as is usual for provincial spoons, the stem is flat front and back but has rounded edges. It joins to the bowl with a small crude rat-tail, the bowl is the traditional fig shape, with deep bowl and strong curve from stem. This Apostle could also be St Matthew or St John, but safest to describe it as a generic Apostle spoon with no coherant emblem. The spoon is struck 4 times with makers mark TD in shaped shield over Fleur De Lys (M 38 in Tim Kent's book "West Count...
A good quality antique silver replica of what is commonly referred to as "The Tudor Cup", which became famous when it was sold (as part of the Dunn-Gardner collection) at Christies auction in 1901 for GBP 4100, the highest price ever paid for a piece of silver at that time. John Dunn-Gardner, of Soham Manor, had a legendary collection of silver, the sale covered 6 volumes. The original cup of 1521, with scallop shell makers mark, is also known as the Holms cup, named after a previous owner. The original cup is now part of the collection of the Royal Scottish Museum, who purchased it in 1958 for GBP 9500. The museum's resources were augmented by the National Art Collection's fund, the Pilgrim Trust, the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, H.M. Treasury and 2 private donors, enabling the cup to be kept in Great Britian (Ian Finlay, Silver in the Royal Scottish Museum, Connoisseur June 1959), where the original cup is pictured. The original cup is also pictured in the book "Old London Silver" by Howard (pg 100).
Rare set of 3 Old English tablespoons made in Carlisle, with Newcastle hallmarks, which are very clear. These spoons all have the same engraved initial B as the 4 tablespoons with the incuse duty mark (item S 1184). John Brown worked between 1822 and 1826, he was an ironmonger and jeweller of English Street, Carlisle, who made a variety of small silverware.
A delightful Chester silver miniature card box, complete with complete set of "Little Duke" cards. Box and lid are both hallmarked with Chester marks. George Nathan and Ridley Hayes worked between 1897 and 1912, they had premises in Howard Street, Birmingham and also a retail shop at 13 Hatton Gardens, London.
Delightful 8 piece miniature Coffee set including coffeepot, with composition handle, milk jug, sugar basin, 2 cups and saucers, and a two handled tray. The interiors are gilt, and each of the 8 pieces is clearly hallmarked (including the coffee pot lid). Saunders and Sheperd were well known for their miniatures.
Early pair of bright cut English provincial sugar tongs with clear makers and duty mark, however date and town mark are not present. Quite heavy and solid, have a nice feel. Initials TMM on bow.
Early provincial waiter of good gauge and in outstanding condition. The waiter has a shell and scroll rim, lion paw feet and an interesting Stag crest. The hallmarks are exceptionally clear, even the castle windows are clear in the town mark! The base is also scratch engraved with the weight, being 7.2 oz pnt. John Kirkup assumed control of the family business in 1753 when his father dies, he retired in 1774.
A silver thimble, size 11, with an unusual and attractive "pierced skirt" or "garland of flowers", the garlands decorated with tiny flowers, with leaves suspended between the garlands. The hallmarks are clear, but have some wear. The makers mark CH is very clear. The hallmarks are accompanied by size mark "11".
Charles Horner invented the "Dorcas" thimble in the 1880's, the business became famous for thimbles, hatpins and enamels. It was located in Halifax, Yorkshire, as a consequence most Horner silver is hallmarked in Chester. We have been informed that this border is called Vandyke.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
Teapot, sugarbowl, creamer and tray. Teaservice oblong shaped, half fluted. Tray oval with two handles, ball feet and lattice design over wooden base. Gilt interiors. All items Birmingham except sugarbowl which has a Chester hallmark. All items fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, even the teapot lid!
An interesting antique silver milk (or cream) jug, hallmarked in Exeter but possibly made in Devon. It is oblong in shape, with an unusual cast rim with different types of flowers and thistles, and a very fine engraved band of scrolling foliage around the body. The jug has an ornate leaf and rose capped scroll handle, and 4 bun feet. The jug, casting and engraving is very fine quality, the work of a master craftsman. The 5 hallmarks are all clear, including makers mark SL. The base has an engraved number "10", possibly an inventory number. The oblong shape was popular for tea services between 1805 and 1815 in London, we often see a style lag in provincial centres. Simon Levy produced Exeter hallmarked silver between 1818 and 1832. Of Jewish origin, he was buried in the Jewish burial ground in Exeter, just outside the Roman wall. He was the son of Emanuel Levy, also a silversmith. They resided in the parish of St Thomas, Devon.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
A lovely pair of Victorian silver fish servers, beautifully decorated with an unusual sea horse design (actual horses with mermaid tails). The decoration is pierced and very finely engraved. The servers consist of a fish slice and serving fork in the Fiddle, Thread and Shell pattern. The set is good quality, and has a substantial feel when used. They have been beautifully preserved in their original felt and silk lined box, we get the impression they have never been used. The box itself is intact, with hinge and clasp in full working order, but the box is a little battered and worn, with remnants of an old label on the lid - acceptable given its 160 year age. The hallmarks are well struck and very clear on both items. John Stone was a well regarded Exeter silversmith who worked between 1825 and 1867, from 30 Bridge Street, Exeter, he produced many items of flatware. He registered his mark in London in 1844 (Culme, Directory of Gold and Silversmiths, pg 436), perhaps he wanted his finer items to have London ra...