A provincial silver Seal Top spoon, with an acanthus baluster seal top, which is probably a Taunton casting. The seal top is well made, and has remnants of gilding throughout, especially in the recessed areas. The stem is flattened hexagonal, and the bowl is the traditional fig shape, and it has a small rat-tail . The seal top has remnants of prick engraving, some pricks clearly visible, but not enough to read what was engraved. The spoon bowl itself is the traditional shape, with deep bowl, curving down from the stem. The spoon is struck 3 times by the same makers mark, once in the bowl and twice on the stem. The marks are not very clear, either they are worn or more probably struck with a worn punch. The punch has a rough shield shape with irregular edge, with a trifid top edge (Poole, Identifying British Silver, punch shapes, pg 15). The figure in the punch has a smaller roughly circular shape on top of a larger circular shape, our imagination runs to a crown over rose, piece of fruit or even a bird (with ...
A rare and unusual Victorian silver double lidded twin stamp box, one of the most practical designs we have seen on a stamp box. The box is rectangular, and is good quality, a pleasing weight, with gilded interior with 2 sloped compartments, and twin lids on separate hinges. The lids have separate silver frames which hold the glass in place covering the representative stamp. The box is clearly hallmarked, both lids and both frames are hallmarked as well. Cohen & Charles worked between 1890 and 1974, founded by Albert Cohen and Charles Solomon. They were the sole English agents for the leading French firm of Baudet Freres & Cie, so were a prestigious firm (Culme, Gold & Silversmiths, pg 88).
A very interesting West Country Provincial Apostle spoon, made by Thomas Dare II of Taunton. The Apostle has a circular nimbus with flying dove, the modelling is slightly crude (for example facial features not very distinct), his right hand is higher than his left, he appears to be holding something stretching between both hands, possibly the bat of St James, but this could also be a fold in his robe. He stands on the usual pedestal, and retains a pleasing amount of the original gilding. The join is flat (as opposed to London made V joint spoons), as is usual for provincial spoons, the stem is flat front and back but has rounded edges. It joins to the bowl with a small crude rat-tail, the bowl is the traditional fig shape, with deep bowl and strong curve from stem. This Apostle could also be St Matthew or St John, but safest to describe it as a generic Apostle spoon with no coherant emblem. The spoon is struck 4 times with makers mark TD in shaped shield over Fleur De Lys (M 38 in Tim Kent's book "West Count...
An interesting and rare set of 11 York Georgian silver Old English pattern tableforks, by the York makers Hampston & Prince, with a matching London tablefork. All 12 forks have the same engraved monogram HWT which is original. The forks consist of 4 dated 1789 (date letter C), 4 dated 1793 (date letter g), 3 dated 1794 (date letter h), and the London example dated 1809 by Robert Rutland, a spoonmaker. The forks have lovely balance and shape, very elegant, with long tines and a strong turn-ups at the end of the forks. The London fork matches well but has shorter tines, possibly from wear, what is interesting is that the 11 York forks are noticeably better quality (and weight) than the London example, which has an old repair on one tine (this goes against conventional wisdom that London made flatware is better quality than provincial - we feel this proves the opposite). The hallmarks are excellent, and demonstrate that many different punches were in operation at the York office at the same time, and that stand...
An antique silver and gold fob medallion, still in original box, marked "Fattorini & Sons, Goldsmiths, Bradford". The gold plaque is engraved "1904 E.P.R.F.U. Cup", we imagine Eastern Province Rugby Football Union (of South Africa). The back is engraved "Olympic F.C. (football club), 2nd Team, G. Brown". The hallmarks are excellent, this is also stamped "Fattorini Bradford".
Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by Italian immigrants, they specialised in sports trophies and medals. They made both the FA Cup and the Rugby League Challenge Cup, both still in use today.
A rare west country seal top silver spoon, with a Salisbury Group A finial. The seal top is prick engraved "E.B over T.B, 1661", indicating the celebration of a marriage. The bowl is fig shaped, and the stem is tapered and faceted. A small rat-tail connects the bowl to the stem. The seal top join is clearly visible at the back of the spoon, a horizontal join, as opposed to V joint seen on London spoons. The seal top is a decorative baluster casting, of substantial size, decorated with scrolls and gadrooning. This has been described by Tim Kent as a "Salisbury Group A" (Salisbury Silver and its Makers, 1550-1700, Silver Society Journal 3), where similar examples are illustrated on page 16. Kent has recognised that many West Country seal tops of the period were made by one silversmith who specialised in seal top castings, and who distributed them to the silversmiths of the area. Kent also identifies John Smith II as one of the silversmiths who used these (he cites an example of a Salisbury type B found on a sea...
A good quality antique silver replica of what is commonly referred to as "The Tudor Cup", which became famous when it was sold (as part of the Dunn-Gardner collection) at Christies auction in 1901 for GBP 4100, the highest price ever paid for a piece of silver at that time. John Dunn-Gardner, of Soham Manor, had a legendary collection of silver, the sale covered 6 volumes. The original cup of 1521, with scallop shell makers mark, is also known as the Holms cup, named after a previous owner. The original cup is now part of the collection of the Royal Scottish Museum, who purchased it in 1958 for GBP 9500. The museum's resources were augmented by the National Art Collection's fund, the Pilgrim Trust, the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, H.M. Treasury and 2 private donors, enabling the cup to be kept in Great Britian (Ian Finlay, Silver in the Royal Scottish Museum, Connoisseur June 1959), where the original cup is pictured. The original cup is also pictured in the book "Old London Silver" by Howard (pg 100).
Basting spoon that was made in Bristol but hallmarked in Exeter. The spoon is a good weight, and has no wear in the bowl. The hallmarks are extremely clear, even including the workman's tallymark. A lovely spoon, ideal for use as a serving spoon. William Woodman of Bristol were one of England's largest flatware producers in their day.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
Delightful set of 4 silver fox menu holders (or place holders), of extremely high quality, by a well regarded maker. The menu holders all have the letter B engraved on the base disk. All are fully hallmarked with clear marks, including the number 9 before the makers mark. Sampson Mordan & Co had a retail shop in Regent Street, London.
Plain set of 3 Old English tablespoons from Newcastle, with very clear hallmarks. These spoons all have the same Initial B as the 4 tablespoons with the incuse duty mark (item S 1184).
A delightful Chester silver miniature card box, complete with complete set of "Little Duke" cards. Box and lid are both hallmarked with Chester marks. George Nathan and Ridley Hayes worked between 1897 and 1912, they had premises in Howard Street, Birmingham and also a retail shop at 13 Hatton Gardens, London.
Pair of Georgian provincial silver Exeter tablespoons in the Old English pattern, with clear hallmarks.
Delightful 8 piece miniature Coffee set including coffeepot, with composition handle, milk jug, sugar basin, 2 cups and saucers, and a two handled tray. The interiors are gilt, and each of the 8 pieces is clearly hallmarked (including the coffee pot lid). Saunders and Sheperd were well known for their miniatures.
Early pair of bright cut English provincial sugar tongs with clear makers and duty mark, however date and town mark are not present. Quite heavy and solid, have a nice feel. Initials TMM on bow.
Early provincial waiter of good gauge and in outstanding condition. The waiter has a shell and scroll rim, lion paw feet and an interesting Stag crest. The hallmarks are exceptionally clear, even the castle windows are clear in the town mark! The base is also scratch engraved with the weight, being 7.2 oz pnt.
A silver thimble, size 11, with an unusual and attractive "pierced skirt" or "garland of flowers", the garlands decorated with tiny flowers, with leaves suspended between the garlands. The hallmarks are clear, but have some wear. The makers mark CH is very clear. The hallmarks are accompanied by size mark "11".
Charles Horner invented the "Dorcas" thimble in the 1880's, the business became famous for thimbles, hatpins and enamels. It was located in Halifax, Yorkshire, as a consequence most Horner silver is hallmarked in Chester. We have been informed that this border is called Vandyke.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
Teapot, sugarbowl, creamer and tray. Teaservice oblong shaped, half fluted. Tray oval with two handles, ball feet and lattice design over wooden base. Gilt interiors. All items Birmingham except sugarbowl which has a Chester hallmark. All items fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, even the teapot lid!
An interesting antique silver milk (or cream) jug, hallmarked in Exeter but possibly made in Devon. It is oblong in shape, with an unusual cast rim with different types of flowers and thistles, and a very fine engraved band of scrolling foliage around the body. The jug has an ornate leaf and rose capped scroll handle, and 4 bun feet. The jug, casting and engraving is very fine quality, the work of a master craftsman. The 5 hallmarks are all clear, including makers mark SL. The base has an engraved number "10", possibly an inventory number. The oblong shape was popular for tea services between 1805 and 1815 in London, we often see a style lag in provincial centres. Simon Levy produced Exeter hallmarked silver between 1818 and 1832. Of Jewish origin, he was buried in the Jewish burial ground in Exeter, just outside the Roman wall. He was the son of Emanuel Levy, also a silversmith. They resided in the parish of St Thomas, Devon.