An antique silver golfing medallion, featuring a golfer in plus four's, his caddy and a lady observer with walking stick, all in traditional attire. The medallion is quite large and heavy, the quality is excellent. The detail is lovely, and includes a church, house, trees and fence in the background. The reverse has a laurel wreath, and is engraved "P.P.BURG GOLF CLUB 1911, won by J.C. TERBLANCHE". P.P.Burg stands for the town PaulPietersburg in northern Kwazulu Natal, South Africa, which was established in 1888. The front of the medallion has the engraver's initials WJD for William James Dingley, the back is fully hallmarked, but the hallmarks are worn (just discernable, including makers mark WJD.
A set of six sterling silver teaspoons, made in 1952 and carrying the coronation hallmark used to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, The spoons are an unusual pattern, with Fiddle pattern style shoulders, notched finial (2 corners cut away), and 4 engraved bands between notches, overall an attractive pattern. The hallmarks are clear on all 6 spoons.
An early Keswick School of Industrial Arts silver caddy spoon, instantly recognisable as Keswick from its distinctive arts and crafts design and finish, with planished bowl, fish tail handle and mock rivet punches. The Keswick silver hallmark was only registered in 1905, so this is one of their earliest silver spoons. Close inspection shows the rivets are not evenly spaced, so clearly struck by hand. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark KSIA in oval punch. The Keswick School of Industrial Arts was established in Keswick, Cumberland in 1884 by Canon Rawnsley, Vicar of Crosthwaite and Canon of Carlisle, and his wife Edith, as a metalwork class following the teachings of John Ruskin and William Morris. Many famous artists, including Harold Stabler and Leslie Durbin, were part of the faculty. Hand finished metal work proved a difficult competitor to machine finished work and the School closed in its centenary year, 1984. Although they produced furniture and furnishings, it is for their metalwork t...
An interesting sterling silver wine taster, made to commemorate 1000 years of English Monarchy between 973 and 1973. The taster is circular, set with a cast replica coin featuring King Edgar the Peaceful, with inscription "EADGARRE" between two maltese crosses, and head and shoulders of the King. The taster also has a fabulous cast silver handle, rectangular in shape with circular cut away, the handle is textured with a sun ray pattern, both top, bottom and sides, this has a lovely feel in the hand. The taster also has a circular foot, and engraved crown above 1000 and the dates 973-1973. It is a good weight and size, it holds 175 millilitres, so is a good size. King Edgar the Peaceful was crowned at Bath in 973, it was the first British coronation ceremony, other British Kings pledged allegiance. He strove successfully to unite the English and Danes, he also recalled St Dunstan from exile and made him Archbishop of Canterbury. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark GGM, thers is slight wear to the f...
An interesting solid silver napkin ring, awarded as 2nd prize in the Dewar Shield of 1939 by SANRA (South African National Rifle Association). The ring is rectangular in shape, with but with lobed sides, so a pleasing shape, it is quite heavy at 55 grammes, the quality is excellent. The napkin ring has applied crest of the South African National Rifle Association, a jumping springbok under crossed rifles, above a laurel wreath, with SANRA above and SANS below (Afrikaans equivalent). The ring is engraved "The Dewar Shield, 1939, 2nd Prize". The silver hallmarks are clear, including maker mark for Charles Green & Co, who worked between 1904 and 1986.
An antique silver and enamel vesta case, with the coat of arms of Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. The vesta is rectangular with rounded corners, and has a safety suspension ring. The applied cast coat of arms has red, blue and yellow enamel, and features a three masted sailing ship with sails furled, above KIRKWALL and below motto "Si Deus Nobiscum", translated "If God be for us" from Romans 8:31. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark R.C. for Robert Chandler, who worked between 1902 and 1924. Kirkwall is the capital of the Scottish Orkney Islands, the original Kirk was the 11th century St Olaf's of Norway. Kirkwall is also the home of Highland Park whisky, so is on my list of places I would like to visit.
A Scottish Provincial silver kilt pin brooch, made by John Fraser of Inverness, but hallmarked in Edinburgh as required by regulations. The kilt pin has a classic celtic design, and is a pleasing quality, and a good size and weight. The pin and clasp are also good quality, and in perfect working order. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark JF incuse for John Fraser of Silvercraft, Inverness, who worked between 1965 and 1982.
A set of 6 rat tail trefid coffee spoons, reproductions of a 17th century style, but just a few years short of being antique themselves. The spoons are in excellent condition, they do not appear to have been used. The original box reads "Wilson & Gill, The Goldsmiths, 139 Regent Street, London W", under a crown. Wilson and Gill was established in 1892, it still trades today as Hester Clarke (www.hesterclarke.co.uk), run by the 5th generation descendants. The hallmarks are clear on all 6 spoons, including makers mark TB&S for Thomas Bradbury & Sons, a leading Sheffield manufacturer.
A beautiful set of 6 art deco gilded sterling silver and enamel coffee spoons, with seal top finials. The gilding is a deep yellow colour, which provides a lovely contrast to the enamel. The back of the spoon bowls are beautifully decorated with fan shaped guilloche enamel, in 6 different bold colours (green, red, yellow, purple and light and dark blue). Guilloche enamel is a technique where a precise pattern is engraved on the silver base using a rose engine lathe, also called engine turning. The hallmarks on all 6 spoons are clear, including makers mark SLd for William Suckling Ltd, who worked between 1922 and 1955.
A lovely 9 carat gold and enamel RAF (Royal Air Force) sweetheart brooch, with very good detail. This is very pleasing quality, it would have been an expensive item when first made. The brooch has RAF in red gold under a red enamel crown, above a green enamel laurel wreath, all set in gold, with the feathered yellow gold wings either side. The contrast between the red gold RAF and yellow gold wings is lovely, set off by the red and green enamel. The back is clearly hallmarked "9 CARAT", indicating 9 carat gold. The badge and both clasp connectors are 9 carat gold, the pin itself is a whiter colour so may not be gold.
A pair of lovely steam train sterling silver spoons, depicting the Rovos Rail steam train and wagons of Southern Africa. The spoons have good detail, and show steam train, caol wagon, water wagon and passenger compartment. The passenger wagon has engraved initials RVR for Rovos Rail (see www.rovos.com), the spoons have teaspoon sixed bowls but the handles are longer. The handles are cast silver and pierced. Both spoons are hallmarked with makers mark "C.M" for Cape Mint, and also "SIL" for sterling silver. We assume the spoons were made to commemorate the opening of Rovos Rail in 1986. Rovos Rail is a luxury rail service operating in Southern Africa, the Pride of Africa has been described as the "most luxurious train in the world".
A set of 24 silver knives, 12 table knives and matching 12 dessert (or bread) knives, in the Louis XIV pattern, made by the leading silversmiths of the period. The knives are very good quality, perfectly suited for regular use. The knives have sterling silver handles and steel blades. The pattern is a Kings pattern variant, with shell and reeded edge, this particular pattern is the Louis XIV pattern. All 24 knives are fully hallmarked, with R&B makers mark for Roberts & Belk, and Sheffield hallmarks (some 1970, some 1971, so the set crossed the date letter change). Roberts & Belk were founded in 1810, in 1960 they were acquired by CJ Vander, the leading silversmiths of the period.
A silver and enamel vesta case, with a circular enamel plaque depicting a smokers pipe and the words "Just one more". The case is rectangular, the interior and strike are gilded, so lovely quality inside. The vesta also has a suspension ring. The hallmarks are clear, the initials LA are engraved next to the hallmarks, we suspect an owners mark rather than makers mark.
An interesting Indian Colonial 9 carat gold sweetheart brooch, featuring a well modelled cast elephant and battle honour ASSAYE. The brooch is good quality, and the original gold pin and clasp in full working order. The brooch is clearly hallmarked, makers mark H&CoLD, and 9Ct for nine carat gold. This makers mark was used by Hamilton & Co, the "Garrards of India", between 1926 when they became a limited company and 1936 when they introduced date letters. The battle of Assaye was a major battle of the Second Anglo-Maratha War fought between the Maratha Empire and the British East India Company in 1803, the future Duke of Wellington commanded the British, he "considered Assaye the finest thing he ever did in the way of fighting even when compared to his later military career" - Wikipedia. He had 2 horses shot under him during the battle. "Both British regiments and Indian units were awarded the Assaye battle honour and most were later given permission to adopt an Assaye elephant as part of their insignia. The ...
An interesting 17th century style silver notched 2 pronged fork, a replica of the earliest known English table fork. The fork has 3 notches at the top of the stem, a rare feature seen occasionally on puritan spoons. it also has 2 family crests, the top a griffiths head and wings, the Montagu family crest, the second is a peacock in pride, the crest of John Manners, 8th Earl of Rutland of Haddon Hall, the owner of the original fork. The original, made in 1632, is known as the Manners Fork, and is in the V&A museum in London. This fork is a good gauge, very pleasing to use, we tested it on cold meats and olives! The hallmarks are excellent, and include the optional Jubilee mark, used in 1934 and 1935. A real talking point for your dinner table. Note: - we now have another example of this fork, S 1808, in original box.
A Royal Navy Gold Officers Sweetheart brooch, with gold pin and clasp in full working order. The cast badge has the Royal Navy fouled anchor under Crown, surrounded by laurel wreath, the badge has good detail. No hallmarks are present, but we are certain the pin is solid gold (we assume 9 carat).
A matching set of six antique silver teaspoons and 2 saltspoons, all engraved with an Earl's coronet above monogram with letter C. The monogram is quite intricate, 2 S scrolls intertwined, with central letter C. The spoons are good quality, teaspoons 28 grammes each, all have a double drop. The hallmarks are clear on all 8 spoons, the makers mark LAC is only lightly struck, but still visible. Lionel Alfred Crichton, 1890-1938, was known for it's fine quality replica silver. Lionel Crichton also set auction records for silver purchases in 1914, he paid the record sum of 5600 pounds at Christies for a silver standing salt, dated 1508 (Henry VIII), from Lord Ashburnham's collection. He had retail outlets in Bond Street London, and New York.
A nine carat gold fishing rod and reel brooch, with a cast silver and enamel rainbow trout jumping over the rod. The fish has lovely detail, and the colours are realistic, the enamel work perfect, with no damage. The rod is segmented, overall this is a lovely brooch. The rod is hallmarked 9CT for 9 carat gold in 2 places, and also makers mark A&W, the fish is stamped SILVER. The box is also good quality, leather and silk, and reads "Terry & Co, Goldsmiths & Silversmiths, Corner of Cross St & King St, Manchester. We have traced an advert of theirs to 1967.
A sterling silver and white enamel Guildhall School of Music & Drama medallion, perfectly preserved in it's original box. The medallion is good quality, a pleasing weight, with music scrolls, mask and City of London crest. The medallion reads "DIPLOMA L.G.S.M.", for Licentiate of the Guildhall of the School of Music. The back is engraved "Albert Edward Honey Teachers' Flute", surrounded by laurel wreath. Albert Honey was born in Devon in 1919, he was principal flute for the Band of Royal Dragoons during the war. He then joined the Scottish National Orchestra from 1951-1954 and BBC Review Orchestra 1954-1964. He then emigrated to South Africa to teach at Rhodes University in Grahamstown, he retired in 1984 after being awarded M.Mus and Ph.D. He palayed in the National Symphony Orchestra after retirement and died in 2001. The hallmarks are clear.
A delightful sterling silver Christening bowl or porringer, decorated with the "Three Bears" of Goldilocks fame walking past engraved trees. The bowl is good quality, quite heavy, the bears are cast and applied, the detail is lovely. The bowl is engraved "Mappin & Webb Ltd, London & Sheffield", and all the hallmarks are excellent. Mappin and Webb was founded in 1859, it still exists today and is one of Britain's most prestigious brands. In addition to Royal Warrants, Mappin and Webb are the Crown Jeweller. The was produced just after the end of World War II, silver was very cheap, items from this period are often heavy and superb quality. One of the nicest Christening present a baby could hope to receive. Note - we have 2 matching items, a plate and mug, S 1981 and S1982.