A British Bulldog Club antique sterling silver trophy spoon, which is in excellent condition. The spoon features a well modelled bulldog head, above legend "THE BRITISH BULLDOG CLUB". The spoon is based on a single struck Kings pattern, but was specially commissioned by the club who wanted to present a more useful trophy than a medal. The club was established in 1892, and still operates today (although I doubt they still have such beautiful silver spoon trophies!). The hallmarks are clear, this spoon was made in Birmingham in 1906 by J A Restall & Co, who worked between 1881 and 1934.
A collection of 10 sterling silver and enamel souvenir shooting trophy spoons, all with 2 rifles as the handles. Six spoons have crossed rifles, 4 spoons have enamel finials, and 7 are from Africa (Nyasaland, Northern Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia - now Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe), with one from South Africa. The spoons include:
1. Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve, RMSB 1952, bare chested labourer crest, London 1911, Wakely & Wheeler, gilded bowl, fabulous quality
2. Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve, bare chested labourer crest, London 1912, Wakely & Wheeler, gilded bowl, fabulous quality
3. Birmingham Forward, enamel city crest of mural crown and arm with hammer (industry), Birmingham 1902, Arthur Fenwick
4. NVR Blantyre Limbe, RMSB 1954, enamel crest of leopard, Birmingham 1952, James Fenton
5. NVR Blantyre Limbe, RMSB 1953, crest of leopard, Birmingham 1953, James Fenton
6. Northern Rhodesia Rifle Association, fish eagle holding fish, no hallmarks
7. Southern Rhodesia Defence Forces, Lion holding tusk, Sheffi...
A pair of Arts & Crafts Danish silver tablespoons, in a modernist Georg Jensen style Martele pattern, with matching cheese knife. The pattern is planished, or hand hammered, (Martele is French for hammer, Gorham uses the Martele brand for its hand hammered range), this creates an uneven surface which reflects the light, so a very pleasing pattern. The pattern also has balls and scrolls. The spoons are hand hammered on the front side of the handle only, but the bowls are planished on both sides. The spoons have original owners initials CC engraved on the back, the knife has no engraving. All 3 items have 2 clear hallmarks, the Danish 3 tower silver guarantee mark for 826/1000 grade, with date letters (the spoons are 1925 and the knife is 1927). They also have assay masters mark CFH for Christian F. Heise, who worked between 1904 and 1932.
A collection of 10 sterling silver rifle shooting trophy and Boer War souvenir spoons. Five spoons have enamel finials, 8 spoons are shooting trophies and 2 spoons are Boer War. The spoons include:
1. P.E.R.C. (Port Elizabeth Rifle Club), E.F. Wilson, 103, enamel shooting range (round medallion), Birmingham 1928, Birmingham Medallion Company, gilded
2. P.E.R.C. (Port Elizabeth Rifle Club), E.F. Wilson, 1927, 100, enamel bulls eye, gilded, crossed rifles, Birmingham 1925, Birmingham Medallion Company
3. & 4. - Toll Gate Miniature Rifle Club, enamel finials with twisted stems, Birmingham 1912, William James Dingley, both engraved "Won by"
5. Man at Arms Competition, Lovely shooting soldier handle, Birmingham 1912, William James Dingley, engraved "Won by EF WILSON PET GRC, score 98, 18 Jan 1913
6. & 7. - Rifle Club, crossed rifles, Birmingham 1909 and 1911, Elkington & Co, engraved "D Coy CP Rifles and A Coy PWCRCPR", nice quality
8. Bloemfontein Rifle Club (English and Afrikaans), City armorial, gilded, B...
A classic Kupittaan Kulta Sterling silver and moss agate ring, designed by Elis Kauppi of Turku, Finland. The ring is beautifully designed, it features 2 segments, with a stunning etched texture on both sides, around a central semi precious stone ball (we believe moss agate), orange and white in colour with black strands, with 4 sterling silver balls on the end of each segment. The ring itself is plain, adjustable for sizing, it is clearly hallmarked with Kupittaan Kulta makers mark and 925S sterling guarantee. The ring resembles an opening seed pod to us, one of the more innovative of the Kauppi designs. Elis Kauppi (1921 - 2004) established Kupittaan Kulta in Turku, Finland, in 1945 at the end of the Second World War, at age 24. His use of local semi-precious stones and innovative design resulted in increased attention, and by 1958 he was an award winning regular exhibitor at international shows. Today he is remembered as a foremost figure in modernist jewellery, who put Finnish design on the world stage. W...
A rare antique sterling silver 1/3 gill tot measure, in the traditional shape of a tankard. The tankard is baluster in shape, the handle just large enough for a finger. The tankard rim is raised, we assume the base indicates the measure point. The base has a design number 74642, the London hallmarks on the side are very clear. The tankard measures 42 millilitres, so a generous double tot, this is 1/3 of a gill using the traditional measures. Tot measures such as this are commonly found in brass, copper, pewter and other base metals, occasionally found in silver plate, solid silver versions such as this one are rare. The gill measure dates back to the 14 Century in Great Britain, 1 gill is a quarter of a pint, 1/6 gill was the traditional single shot whisky measure. Horace Woodward & Co operated between 1875 and 1916.
A Redhill & District Football League silver, gold and enamel fob medallion for the year 1925. The medallion has a central gold panel with 3 footballers and football, with goals in the background, marked with registration number 401749, so this design was protected. This is surrounded with a blue enamel ring with the writing, and decorative silver scrolls and suspension ring surrounding. The original suspension ring is also hallmarked, this is ideal for wear as a pendant. The hallmarks are very clear. The Redhill and District Football League still exists, is a regional English football league formed in 1897. It comprises teams from Surrey, Kent, Greater London and Sussex. It currently has four divisions, the highest of which, the Premier Division, is situated at the 14th level of the English football league system source Wikipedia). I am sure we can be confident that they no longer award such beautiful medallions!
A 20th Lancers Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Enamel sweetheart brooch. The brooch features the traditional crossed lances with flying pennons, with Royal crown above, LANCERS scroll below and XX in the centre, denoting the regiment as 20th Lancers. The brooch is 15 carat gold, the 2 X's are platinum set with 18 diamonds, all are present. The crown has red enamel, the pennons red and white enamel, and LANCERS blue enamel, all enamel is perfect. The brooch is hallmarked "15 ct & PT.", indicating 15 carat gold and platinum, which was often used in English jewellery from circa 1890 until 1932. Platinum use in jewellery became popular in Edwardian times, 15 carat gold was used between 1854 and 1932, when it was replaced by 14 carat gold. The 20th Lancers was a regiment of the British Indian Army, which saw service between 1921 and 1937. Today both India and Pakistan have a 20th Lancers regiment. This brooch is accompanied by a valuation certificate from Gemlab confirming authenticity of diamonds and that the brooch ...
A delightful antique silver Christening present, a child's feeding spoon decorated with a scene from J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, depicting Captain Hook, complete with hook and pistol, running away from the crocodile, with the Jolly Roger pirate ship in the background. The handle, which forms a circle (traditional baby feeding spoon), is also decorated with Peter Pan playing his flute, and 2 scenes with rabbits. The detail is lovely, as can be seen in the photos. The hallmarks are very clear, and include a registration number "Rd No 611912", indicating the design was registered to prevent copying by other firms. Levi & Salaman was established in 1870, and was merged into Barker Brothers in 1921 (Culme, Directory Gold and Silversmiths). They were highly regarded, particularly for good quality souvenir spoons. They made a number of variations of these nursery rhyme spoons, including "this little pig (S 1535) and "hey diddle diddle (S120) featured on our website. They also made a "little miss muffet" version.
A Danish silver Skonvirke (Arts & Crafts) cream ladle, made by the respected Danish silversmith Evald Nielsen in 1924. The ladle is the No 4 pattern, which has organic flowing scrolls in relief, so quite pleasing to hold. The ladle is hand hammered, with the planish marks visible in the bowl and the stem. The ladle has a flat circular bowl with a narrow lip, about 0.7 cm deep. The ladle is 830 grade silver, as is usual for Danish silver. The well struck hallmarks include "Evald Nielsen" in an attractive script, with "No 4" indicating pattern, date letter "ANNO 1924", the letter "S" surrounded by dots in shaped punch for silver, and "830" in oval punch surrounded by dots for grade of silver. Evald Nielsen worked between 1905 and 1958 from Copenhagen, he designed all his own designs (as opposed to his contemporary Georg Jensen). He won numerous awards internationally, and his silver can be seen in numerous museums, including the Metropolitan in New York, V&A in London, and Kunstmuseum in Denmark. Nielsen produ...
An interesting German silver coin dish, with a German 3 Mark silver coin set in the centre of the circular dish. The coin is a special issue by the city of Hamburg, the front has the Hamburg city armorial (3 turreted castle supported by lions, it has lovely detail), and city motto "FREIE UND HANSESTADT HAMBURG", the obverse has German eagle and "DEUTSCHES REICH 1911 DREI MARK". The bowl is also engraved "UBERSEE-KAFFEE, Hamburg", Ubersee Kaffee (translated Overseas Coffee) was a large German coffee business focussed on the export market, we assume this was a corporate gift. Given the size of their building it must have been a substantial business (see photo). The hallmarks are clear, the German silver half moon and crown used after 1888, 835 standard mark, and a script makers mark W Hafer, which we have not been able to trace (assistance welcome).
A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A collection of 10 sterling silver Royal souvenir spoons. Six spoons have enamel finials, 1 has enamel bowl as well. Six spoons are English, 3 are Canadian and 1 is Dutch. 4 spoons commemorate coronations. The spoons include:
1. Edward VII in commemoration of the Coronation, Westminster Abbey 1902, Birmingham 1901, Henry Griffiths & Sons, Abbey in bowl
2. Edward VII, Birmingham 1901, S Blanckensee & Sons, Edward in bowl, pierced cast Edward handle, gilded, a lovely spoon
3. Victoria Queen and Empress, London 1898, Saunders & Shepherd, imported F mark, gilded
4. King George V, Mary Queen Consort, Crowned at Westminster June 22 1911, Birmingham 1910, BH Joseph & Co, coronation chair in cast handle
5. Elizabeth II, Crowned 1953, Birmingham 1952, Mappin & Webb, coronation hallmark, "Fire Triumphs over Materials" for JK Smit & Sons, diamond drilling company
6. Royal visit to South Africa, King George VI and Queen Mother, South African coat of arms, Dutch dagger hallmark and makers mark for Van Kempen
An Art Nouveau antique silver mustard pot, complete with original green glass liner. The pot is oval in shape, and has traditional Art Nouveau stylised flowers on the 4 corners, repeated on the lid thumbpiece. The glass pot sits on a circular support, which is also hallmarked (as is the main body and lid). The hallmarks are clear, and include registration mark RD 436134, meaning Walker and Hall registered this design to prevent copying by competitors.
An Edwardian silver and enamel novelty vesta case, of circular form with hinged flip top lid and striker built into the base. The vesta has an applied enamel in silver rope border, featuring a pack of 8 English foxhounds, very attractively modelled with lovely colours. Vesta cases (also called matchsafes) were used to store vestas (early matches before safety matches were invested), they were very popular between 1890 and 1910.
A collection of ten sterling silver shipping and sporting souvenir spoons, 7 with enamel finials. The spoons include:
1, 2 & 3. Steamships SS Virginian, Tunisian, Mauretania, Chester 1906, Alfred Wigley, gilded bowls
4. SS City of Poona, JRE SS, Birmingham 1929, James Fenton
5. Wembley Bowling Club, Birmingham 1913, Birmingham Medallion Co, 3 swords crested medallion, lovely quality
6. Bowling medallion trophy spoon, Birmingham 1931, Turner & Simpson
7. Bowling shield trophy spoon, Sheffield 1936, Gladwin Ltd
8. Pretoria Golf Club, Miss Whitfield, Birmingham 1902, James Fenton, beautiful crest
9. Lady golfer, Birmingham 1921, Herbert Bushell & Son, nice detail
10. UK & PC Bulldog club, Mrs BH Arnold 18/1/13, London 1912, Robert Pringle & Sons, beautiful enamel bulldog.
A fine and heavy cast silver commemorative caddy spoon made to celebrate the investiture of the Prince of Wales in 1969. The caddy spoon bowl is made up of the 3 Prince of Wales feathers, joined to the handle with a Royal crown and the motto "ICH DIEN", translated "I Serve", the handle has a Welsh dragon. The bowl is quite deep, the feathers have been shaped, the detail of the feathers is also very fine. The spoon is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, including makers mark G&Co Ld. for Garrards, the Crown Jewellers (founded in 1722, it retained the Royal Warrant until 2007). The back of the caddy spoon is also marked "Garrard & Co Ltd 112 Regent St W". Another example of this caddy spoon is shown in the book "The Story of the Caddy Spoon 1775-2015" produced by the Society of Caddy Spoon Collectors, page 63. It also was part of the John Norie Collection, Part II, lot 384.
A pair of antique sterling silver shoe buckles, made in Birmingham in 1912. The buckles are rectangular with canted corners, with a supporting centre strut for attachment to a shoe. Both buckles are clearly hallmarked, one makers mark has been over-stamped by the Levi & Salaman makers mark, so they were probably the retailers. Shoe buckles were fashion accessories for both men and women from the mid 17th century for the next few hundred years.
An Edwardian silver pocket stamp case, with a spring loaded interior for holding stamps in place. The case is rectangular, with an engine turned design with vacant circular cartouche for initials or family crest, and ring attachment for attachment to an Albert chain. The interior is gilded, the stamp compartment is also engine turned. The case, lid and stamp compartment are all hallmarked. Saunders & Shepherd are a well known firm, first established in 1869 by Cornelius Saunders and Frank Shepherd.
A Danish modernist silver strawberry serving spoon, in Georg Jensen style. The spoon is beautiful, and is a good weight and quality. The spoon has a large circular bowl, with a pierced strawberry leaf design, to allow the juices to be drained before serving. The handle is cast, and has 2 well designed strawberries amongst foliage, these are embossed so provide a nice grip for the handle. This spoon is a useful size, suitable for serving other items besides strawberries. The spoon has 4 hallmarks, all of which are well struck and clear. The Danish 3 tower mark and date letter 33 for 1933 indicates purity of 826/1000, the SJ assay master mark (Stadtsguardein) for Johannes Siggaard (worked between 1932 and 1960). The 3rd mark is "Haandarbejde" indicating this item was made by hand, and the 4th mark is the script F surrounded by oval dots, the assay master mark for Frederik Fabritius, who worked between 1787 and 1823. The presence of this older assay masters mark is a mystery, it has also been observed on other D...