A Indian Colonial silver tablespoon in the Fiddle pattern, slightly larger and heavier than most tablespoons. Ths spoon has a good feel, nicely weighted when used, and clearly hand made. The spoon has no engraving, or any sign of engraving being removed. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark P&Co. for Pittar & Co, pseudo lion passant, pseudo date letter A and tally mark number 17 from the book "Indian Colonial Silver" by Wynyard Wilkinson, page 170. Arthur Pittar & Co. worked between 1825 and 1848 in Calcutta, a similar tablespoon, but 2 centimetres shorter, is depicted on page 104. They were primarily diamond and jewel merchants, but clearly made good quality flatware and holloware. They imported a die press for manufacture of Fiddle pattern flatware in 1842, we believe this spoon predates that, given it's unusual size.
A rare pair of Prince of Wales' feathers picture back teaspoons, in the Hanoverian pattern, with Prince of Wales' feathers to the reverse of the bowl. The crown is well struck and clear, the feathers less well struck with some wear, but still clearly visible. As is typical for a teaspoon of the period, these Hanoverian pattern spoons are struck with two marks - lion passant and maker's mark. All the marks are squashed, the maker's mark could be W*L or possibly I*M, depending on which way you read the marks (all assistance welcome), with mullet between the letters. The spoons have no engraving, and are in great condition with just minor wear to the picture back. The motif on the back of the bowl probably commemorates the life of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales (1707-1751) and heir apparent to the English throne. He was the eldest and estranged son of King George II, but he pre-deceased his father and so the crown passed instead to his eldest son who became George III. John Luddington, in his book "Startin...
An Irish antique silver sauce ladle, in the Celtic pointed pattern, also called Pointed Old English. The ladle has a beautiful original engraved family crest of a stag's head with a cross between the antlers, the detail is good with no wear. This we believe is the family crest of the Bassett family, described as "A Stag's Head Caboshed, And Between The Attires A Cross Patt Fitch Arg" - source (www.myfamilysilver.com). The hallmarks are excellent, they could not be clearer, including makers mark JP for John Power. Pickford, in his book "Silver Flatware", states that most Irish flatware of this period is this Celtic Pointed variant, which is only found in Ireland and Scotland.
A pair of Irish Provincial silver teaspoons, in the Fiddle pattern, with STERLING hallmarks. The spoons have original owners initials SL, small and engraved by hand, very provincial in nature. Both spoons are clearly hallmarked "STERLING", well struck and clear, but the punch a little worn, and the letters quite crude and blurry - so a home made punch. This mark was used by Silversmiths in both Cork and Limerick, more research on the style of the punch is required.
A set of 4 Irish Georgian dessert spoons, bottom marked, with excellent hallmarks on all 4 spoons. The spoons are Old English pattern, and have an engraved family crest of an armoured arm holding a dagger, this engraving is crisp and clear. Bottom marked hallmarks, used before 1790, are seldom clear, they are often squashed, these marks are excellent. They include makers mark IK in rectangular punch with rounded corners, and without dot, according to Douglas Bennett, in his book Collecting Irish Silver, this mark could belong to 3 different silversmiths, John Kavanagh (1783-1819), John Kelly (1780-1794) or James Kennedy (1768-1803), all three of which fall in the date range. More research is required on these makers, the makers mark on these spoons are very clear.
A lovely pair of Early Georgian Hanoverian dessert or Child's spoons, made by the leading Huguenot spoonmaker of his day. The spoons are nicely proportioned, and have a double drop. The spoons are engraved on the back (as is usual for this period) with an interesting original family armorial, an Eagle wearing crown, clutching a quarter circle (sextant?) in its talon. The spoons are bottom marked, as is usual for this period, as a result the hallmarks are slightly squashed but still clearly legible, including makers mark PH under acorn for Paul Hanet. The date letter K is also clear, in unusual square outline (only K and M, 1725 and 1727, are not in Norman Shield, the only anomalies between 1561 and 1739), the second spoon is 1726, these hallmarks are worn but still discenable. Paul Hanet is described by Grimwade (London Goldsmiths, page 532) "from the evidence of the survival of pieces bearing his mark, Hanet was clearly one of the principal Huguenot spoonmakers of his day". Hanet entered his first London mar...
An Irish Provincial toddy ladle in the Fiddle pattern, with original owners engraved initial H. The ladle has an old and crudely done repair to the bowl, a circular piece has been let in, the solder marks clearly visible, approximately 1.5 cm in diameter. These toddy ladles are usually Scottish in origin, but Irish examples are known, one is illustrated in the book "Celebration of Limerick Silver, page 132. The ladle is clearly hallmarked "STERLING" in rectangular punch with rounded corners, the letters irregular, so clearly a provincial "home made" punch. No makers mark is present. This sterling hallmark was used by Irish provincial makers, Cork but also Limerick, to denote the standard, these are rare items today. Given the repair we cannot recommend this ladle for use, but hopefully it is of interest to a collector researching different variations of the Sterling marks.
A lovely Irish silver Bright Cut Celtic Point tablespoon, with traditional Dublin Star cut on the terminal. The spoon has an oval cartouche, with engraved family crest of a Griffin holding branch with leaves, this is crisp and clear. The spoon is bottom marked, and unusually has excellent hallmarks (bottom marked hallmarks are oftern squashed), they could not be better. The include Dublin Hibernia and Harp Crowned, date letter O for 1786, and makers mark J.S for John Shiels (or Sheils) who worked between 1762 and 1790.
A beautiful pair of sterling silver fruit serving spoons, made by Bailey & Co of Philadelphia between 1871 and 1878. The spoons have bright cut bowls which are gold washed, the handles also have a lovely design with palm leaves, we have not been able to identify the pattern (assistance welcome). The spoons have engraved owners initials MII in fancy script. The hallmarks are clear on both spoons, "STERLING PAT 1871, 1A, BAILEY & Co." The bowls also have an additional hallmark, an ornate shield with fancy design. Bailey & Co worked between 1832 and 1878 when they became Bailey, Banks & Biddle, they still exist today. Joseph & Charles Bailey are remembered for excellent quality, these spoons are no exception. The firm claimed the distinction of being the first to introduce the sterling 925 British standard to the American public, at the time the standard was 900 (Rainwater, Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers, page 33).
A Irish Georgian silver tablespoon, in the Old English pattern, with original owners engraved initials PRM. The spoon has a lovely feel, full of character, with quite a large bowl. The hallmarks are bottom marked, and very clear, they could not be better. They include Dublin Hibernia, Crowned Harp, date letter R for 1765 and makers mark C.S in diamond punch, with star above and below, very distinctive. Skinner worked between 1739 and 1765, so this spoon was made right at the end of his career. He was a highly respected silversmith, he was elected Warden in 1751, Master in 1754 and in 1755 was elected to the Dublin City Common Council (Bennett, Collecting Irish Silver, page 153).
A mixed set of antique American sterling silver, comprising of an olive spoon and olive fork. The spoon is Towle Empire pattern, patent 1894, with gold wash pierced bowl, this is a beautiful spoon. It was designed by George P Tilton, and has no monogramme. The fork is by Clark & Biddle, made between 1866 and 1870, it has a twisted stem, 3 tines with barbs, and intricate engraving. The fork has engraved owners initial P in fancy script, and is also engraved on the back "Thanksgiving 02", we assume 1902. Both items are clearly hallmarked.
An Irish Provincial silver Bright Cut Celtic Point tablespoon, made in Cork and hallmarked in Dublin in 1804. The spoon is quite large, over 23 cm, and has intricate bright cut engraving, the quality is excellent. The spoon has engraved family crest of a Boar's head, this too is beautifully engraved, and very crisp and clear. The hallmarks are clear, Dublin hallmarks for 1804, and JK in script makers mark for Joseph Kinselagh of Cork, he worked between 1802 and 1807, he may have been a descendant of earlier silversmith of same name, 1750-1783, perhaps the makers mark was passed down the family. More research is required on this maker.
A mixed set of 6 Irish silver tablespoons, all with excellent hallmarks. 3 spoons are Old English pattern (a matching pair by John Pittar, 1779, bottom marked, with worn shellbacks, and a spoon by Michael Keating, 1799), and 3 are Fiddle pattern (1805 by J.S, 1812 by Richard Sawyer and 1832 by Samuel Neville, this last spoon has a rat-tail. 3 spoons have engraved family crest, 2 spoons have engraved initials, and one spoon has not been engraved. All 6 spoons have well struck and clear Dublin hallmarks, and clear makers marks.
A Gorham sterling silver Louis XIV pattern pickle knife, with a pair of matching master salt spoons. The pattern is striking, described as "17 th Century Magnificence", named after King Louis Quatorze of France, who "made his reign famous for it's splendour". The pickle knife (similar to an English butter knife) is bright cut and gilded, with no monogramme, which the 2 saltspoons have goldwash bowls and engraved initials G. The hallmarks are clear on all 3 items, "Patent 1870, Sterling, and the Gorham lion, anchor and gothic G. Gorham Corporation, which still exists today, was founded in 1831, they dominated the solid silver flatware market in the USA for 125 years (Gorham Silver, page 50).
A set of 6 sterling silver grapefruit spoons in the Kings pattern, double struck, in excellent condition, they appear unused. The spoons are very ggood quality and weight, over 30 grammes each, and the hallmarks are excellent on all 6 spoons. Cooper Brothers was established in 1866, they were successful manufacturers, eventually being sold in 1983. The original box has a label that reads "Bracher & Sydenham, Queen Victoria Street, Reading, est 1790", the firm has a long and illustrious history, and still operates today after being acquired by Goldsmiths chain in 1974. They received a Royal warrant from King Edward VII, who visited the shop personally. Note - 5 spoons are 1966, one is 1965, so made over the date letter change.
A pair of antique silver serving spoons, with beautiful pierced and engraved handles, in pristine condition. The detail of the piercing is excellent, an architectural feature surrounded by foliage. The spoons are a useful size, ideal for serving. The spoons appear to have never been used, such a pity for such beautiful items. The hallmarks on both spoons are clear, and include makers mark for the Sheffield firm of Hawksworth & Eyre, who worked between 1841 and 1932, when they were taken over by Ellis of Barker Brothers. Charles Hawksworth and John Eyre exhibited a wide variety of goods at the Great Exhibition of 1851, they had showrooms in London Fleet Street and Montreal, Canada. (Culme, Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, page 222).
A rare early Cape Silver spoon, in the Hanoverian pattern. The spoon is a lovely shape, long and elegant. The spoon has makers mark DHS, with some wear but clearly visible, along with a bunch of grapes with vine leaves in a circular punch (mark 109 in Cape Silver by Welz). The spoon also has a small Dutch ZII hallmark, for 835 purity, indicating the spoon was imported into the Netherlands at some stage. The spoon also has a small owners cross hatch scratch mark next to the makers mark. Schmidt arrived in the Cape from Strelitz, Germany, as a soldier in 1768. He worked as a sword cutler for the Dutch East India Company, and became a burgher and silversmith in 1779. He died in 1811 (Cape Silver by Welz, pg 139). He is described by David Heller (in his book History of Cape Silver) as the "greatest Cape silversmith". Heller goes so far to describe Schmidt as a "master craftsman, whose work can be compared to Paul Storr" (History of Cape Silver, pg 79). Note - we have two matching forks, S 11124 and S11125.
A boxed set of six sterling silver Hanoverian pattern teapoons, with matching sugar tongs. The spoons all have rat tails, and the tongs have the spoon pattern repeated on the arms. The quality is good, as you would expect from Mappin & Webb. The original box reads "Mappin & Webb Ltd, Regent Street, London W", this would have been an expensive item when new. All 7 items have excellent hallmarks, the 6 spoons are 1919, the tongs 1920. Mappin and Webb was founded in 1859, it still exists today and is one of Britain's most prestigious brands. In addition to Royal Warrants, Mappin and Webb are the Crown Jeweller.
A set of 6 Victorian silver trefid teaspoons, with lovely bright cut engraving. The spoons have the traditional trefid shape, with 2 deep notches, and a wide flattened terminal. The spoons are engraved in Victorian style, with scrolls and and leaves, zig zags and hatching, the quality of the engraving is superb, these spoons will sparkle in candlelight. The spoons are in excellent condition, and appear to never have been used, a pity with such lovely spoons. The original box reads " Forsyth & Co, Jewellers, Pietermaritzburg, Natal", the box itself is excellent quality, silk and velvet interior. The hallmarks on a 6 spoons are excellent. Forsyth & Co still exists today, they date back to before 1897, as an advert from 1897 has been found (see photograph). Hilliard & Thomason were manufacturing silversmiths who worked from Spencer Street, Birmingham, between 1847 and 1902. They exhibited at the Great Exhibition on 1851.
A South African sterling silver military caddy spoon, with an applied badge of the SAPPERS, the South African Engineers Corps. The badge is a flaming grenade (inherited from the British), the button below reads "South Africa Suid Afrika" , so both English and Afrikaans, the bage is a coppery gold colour, we are not sure of it's composition. The caddy spoon has a rounded bowl, with wide flat handle with a series of indents, this pattern (and others with slight variations) was designed by RMP (Royal Mint Pretoria), which became the SAM (South African Mint) in 1941. The spoon is good quality, and has a pleasing weight. Similar designed caddy spoons, by both RMP AND SAM, can be seen elsewhere on Leopard Antiques (S1362, S1652, and S1762). The spoon is hallmarked "STER SIL", clearly struck, no other hallmarks are present. We have tentatively dated this spoon to the World War II period, when the SA Engineers saw distinguished service in Italy, but it could be earlier (1923-1939).