A beautiful pair of sterling silver fruit serving spoons, made by Bailey & Co of Philadelphia between 1871 and 1878. The spoons have bright cut bowls which are gold washed, the handles also have a lovely design with palm leaves, we have not been able to identify the pattern (assistance welcome). The spoons have engraved owners initials MII in fancy script. The hallmarks are clear on both spoons, "STERLING PAT 1871, 1A, BAILEY & Co." The bowls also have an additional hallmark, an ornate shield with fancy design. Bailey & Co worked between 1832 and 1878 when they became Bailey, Banks & Biddle, they still exist today. Joseph & Charles Bailey are remembered for excellent quality, these spoons are no exception. The firm claimed the distinction of being the first to introduce the sterling 925 British standard to the American public, at the time the standard was 900 (Rainwater, Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers, page 33).
A Irish Georgian silver tablespoon, in the Old English pattern, with original owners engraved initials PRM. The spoon has a lovely feel, full of character, with quite a large bowl. The hallmarks are bottom marked, and very clear, they could not be better. They include Dublin Hibernia, Crowned Harp, date letter R for 1765 and makers mark C.S in diamond punch, with star above and below, very distinctive. Skinner worked between 1739 and 1765, so this spoon was made right at the end of his career. He was a highly respected silversmith, he was elected Warden in 1751, Master in 1754 and in 1755 was elected to the Dublin City Common Council (Bennett, Collecting Irish Silver, page 153).
A mixed set of antique American sterling silver, comprising of an olive spoon and olive fork. The spoon is Towle Empire pattern, patent 1894, with gold wash pierced bowl, this is a beautiful spoon. It was designed by George P Tilton, and has no monogramme. The fork is by Clark & Biddle, made between 1866 and 1870, it has a twisted stem, 3 tines with barbs, and intricate engraving. The fork has engraved owners initial P in fancy script, and is also engraved on the back "Thanksgiving 02", we assume 1902. Both items are clearly hallmarked.
An Irish Provincial silver Bright Cut Celtic Point tablespoon, made in Cork and hallmarked in Dublin in 1804. The spoon is quite large, over 23 cm, and has intricate bright cut engraving, the quality is excellent. The spoon has engraved family crest of a Boar's head, this too is beautifully engraved, and very crisp and clear. The hallmarks are clear, Dublin hallmarks for 1804, and JK in script makers mark for Joseph Kinselagh of Cork, he worked between 1802 and 1807, he may have been a descendant of earlier silversmith of same name, 1750-1783, perhaps the makers mark was passed down the family. More research is required on this maker.
A mixed set of 6 Irish silver tablespoons, all with excellent hallmarks. 3 spoons are Old English pattern (a matching pair by John Pittar, 1779, bottom marked, with worn shellbacks, and a spoon by Michael Keating, 1799), and 3 are Fiddle pattern (1805 by J.S, 1812 by Richard Sawyer and 1832 by Samuel Neville, this last spoon has a rat-tail. 3 spoons have engraved family crest, 2 spoons have engraved initials, and one spoon has not been engraved. All 6 spoons have well struck and clear Dublin hallmarks, and clear makers marks.
A Gorham sterling silver Louis XIV pattern pickle knife, with a pair of matching master salt spoons. The pattern is striking, described as "17 th Century Magnificence", named after King Louis Quatorze of France, who "made his reign famous for it's splendour". The pickle knife (similar to an English butter knife) is bright cut and gilded, with no monogramme, which the 2 saltspoons have goldwash bowls and engraved initials G. The hallmarks are clear on all 3 items, "Patent 1870, Sterling, and the Gorham lion, anchor and gothic G. Gorham Corporation, which still exists today, was founded in 1831, they dominated the solid silver flatware market in the USA for 125 years (Gorham Silver, page 50).
A set of 6 sterling silver grapefruit spoons in the Kings pattern, double struck, in excellent condition, they appear unused. The spoons are very ggood quality and weight, over 30 grammes each, and the hallmarks are excellent on all 6 spoons. Cooper Brothers was established in 1866, they were successful manufacturers, eventually being sold in 1983. The original box has a label that reads "Bracher & Sydenham, Queen Victoria Street, Reading, est 1790", the firm has a long and illustrious history, and still operates today after being acquired by Goldsmiths chain in 1974. They received a Royal warrant from King Edward VII, who visited the shop personally. Note - 5 spoons are 1966, one is 1965, so made over the date letter change.
A pair of antique silver serving spoons, with beautiful pierced and engraved handles, in pristine condition. The detail of the piercing is excellent, an architectural feature surrounded by foliage. The spoons are a useful size, ideal for serving. The spoons appear to have never been used, such a pity for such beautiful items. The hallmarks on both spoons are clear, and include makers mark for the Sheffield firm of Hawksworth & Eyre, who worked between 1841 and 1932, when they were taken over by Ellis of Barker Brothers. Charles Hawksworth and John Eyre exhibited a wide variety of goods at the Great Exhibition of 1851, they had showrooms in London Fleet Street and Montreal, Canada. (Culme, Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, page 222).
A rare early Cape Silver spoon, in the Hanoverian pattern. The spoon is a lovely shape, long and elegant. The spoon has makers mark DHS, with some wear but clearly visible, along with a bunch of grapes with vine leaves in a circular punch (mark 109 in Cape Silver by Welz). The spoon also has a small Dutch ZII hallmark, for 835 purity, indicating the spoon was imported into the Netherlands at some stage. The spoon also has a small owners cross hatch scratch mark next to the makers mark. Schmidt arrived in the Cape from Strelitz, Germany, as a soldier in 1768. He worked as a sword cutler for the Dutch East India Company, and became a burgher and silversmith in 1779. He died in 1811 (Cape Silver by Welz, pg 139). He is described by David Heller (in his book History of Cape Silver) as the "greatest Cape silversmith". Heller goes so far to describe Schmidt as a "master craftsman, whose work can be compared to Paul Storr" (History of Cape Silver, pg 79). Note - we have two matching forks, S 11124 and S11125.
A boxed set of six sterling silver Hanoverian pattern teapoons, with matching sugar tongs. The spoons all have rat tails, and the tongs have the spoon pattern repeated on the arms. The quality is good, as you would expect from Mappin & Webb. The original box reads "Mappin & Webb Ltd, Regent Street, London W", this would have been an expensive item when new. All 7 items have excellent hallmarks, the 6 spoons are 1919, the tongs 1920. Mappin and Webb was founded in 1859, it still exists today and is one of Britain's most prestigious brands. In addition to Royal Warrants, Mappin and Webb are the Crown Jeweller.
A set of 6 Victorian silver trefid teaspoons, with lovely bright cut engraving. The spoons have the traditional trefid shape, with 2 deep notches, and a wide flattened terminal. The spoons are engraved in Victorian style, with scrolls and and leaves, zig zags and hatching, the quality of the engraving is superb, these spoons will sparkle in candlelight. The spoons are in excellent condition, and appear to never have been used, a pity with such lovely spoons. The original box reads " Forsyth & Co, Jewellers, Pietermaritzburg, Natal", the box itself is excellent quality, silk and velvet interior. The hallmarks on a 6 spoons are excellent. Forsyth & Co still exists today, they date back to before 1897, as an advert from 1897 has been found (see photograph). Hilliard & Thomason were manufacturing silversmiths who worked from Spencer Street, Birmingham, between 1847 and 1902. They exhibited at the Great Exhibition on 1851.
A South African sterling silver military caddy spoon, with an applied badge of the SAPPERS, the South African Engineers Corps. The badge is a flaming grenade (inherited from the British), the button below reads "South Africa Suid Afrika" , so both English and Afrikaans, the bage is a coppery gold colour, we are not sure of it's composition. The caddy spoon has a rounded bowl, with wide flat handle with a series of indents, this pattern (and others with slight variations) was designed by RMP (Royal Mint Pretoria), which became the SAM (South African Mint) in 1941. The spoon is good quality, and has a pleasing weight. Similar designed caddy spoons, by both RMP AND SAM, can be seen elsewhere on Leopard Antiques (S1362, S1652, and S1762). The spoon is hallmarked "STER SIL", clearly struck, no other hallmarks are present. We have tentatively dated this spoon to the World War II period, when the SA Engineers saw distinguished service in Italy, but it could be earlier (1923-1939).
A set of 12 identical sterling silver golf trophy spoons, all with identical engraving of BIGC in Gothic script (or IBGC) for a golf club. The spoons are great quality, with cast handles featuring golf clubs and balls, the club handles are also textured. The spoons are all in excellent condition, they do not appear to have been used, and have no engraving on the bowls. They are contained in a box which looks like it was custom made for the set, with purple velvet. All 12 spoons have very clear hallmarks, 9 were made by Robert Chandler (dates 1907-1910), and 3 were made by William James Dingley (2 are 1912, one later at 1925). We assume these were trophy spoons, won over the years by a golfer, who decided to safeguard them with a custom made box.
An interesting set of 6 sterling silver rat tail Hanoverian pattern teaspoons, retailed by Liberty, made to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, with hallmarks from 6 different towns - London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Chester, Glasgow and Edinburgh. The spoons have engraved owners initials J&J. All 6 spoons also have the optional coronation mark used in 1952 and 1953. All of the hallmarks are well struck and excellent, note the different style makers mark for Roberts & Belk used on the London spoon. The spoons are in original box (note condition and water damage from photos), exterior reads "British Hallmarks", interior reads "Liberty, British Hallmarks, London Leopards Head. Birmingham anchor, Sheffield crown, Chester three sheaves with sword, Glasgow Tree, Edinburgh castle", with pictures of the hallmarks. This set would make an excellent gift to a young collector interested in hallmarks.
A lovely pair of Early Georgian Hanoverian dessert or Child's spoons, made by the leading Huguenot spoonmaker of his day. The spoons are nicely proportioned, and have a double drop. The spoons are engraved on the back (as is usual for this period) with an interesting original family armorial, an Eagle wearing crown, clutching a quarter circle (sextant?) in its talon. The spoons are bottom marked, as is usual for this period, as a result the hallmarks are slightly squashed but still clearly legible, including makers mark PH under acorn for Paul Hanet. The date letter K is also clear, in unusual square outline (only K and M, 1725 and 1727, are not in Norman Shield, the only anomalies between 1561 and 1739). The lion passant and crowned leopards head town marks are partially visible. Paul Hanet is described by Grimwade (London Goldsmiths, page 532) "from the evidence of the survival of pieces bearing his mark, Hanet was clearly one of the principal Huguenot spoonmakers of his day". Hanet entered his first Lond...
A set of six sterling silver teaspoons, made in 1952 and carrying the coronation hallmark used to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, The spoons are an unusual pattern, with Fiddle pattern style shoulders, notched finial (2 corners cut away), and 4 engraved bands between notches, overall an attractive pattern. The hallmarks are clear on all 6 spoons.
An early Keswick School of Industrial Arts silver caddy spoon, instantly recognisable as Keswick from its distinctive arts and crafts design and finish, with planished bowl, fish tail handle and mock rivet punches. The Keswick silver hallmark was only registered in 1905, so this is one of their earliest silver spoons. Close inspection shows the rivets are not evenly spaced, so clearly struck by hand. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark KSIA in oval punch. The Keswick School of Industrial Arts was established in Keswick, Cumberland in 1884 by Canon Rawnsley, Vicar of Crosthwaite and Canon of Carlisle, and his wife Edith, as a metalwork class following the teachings of John Ruskin and William Morris. Many famous artists, including Harold Stabler and Leslie Durbin, were part of the faculty. Hand finished metal work proved a difficult competitor to machine finished work and the School closed in its centenary year, 1984. Although they produced furniture and furnishings, it is for their metalwork t...
Note - The Delft spoon has been sold, only the Amsterdam spoon is available. Price listed is for Amsterdam spoon only.
Two 18th century Dutch silver Memorial or Figural spoons, very similar in style so we have grouped them together. Both spoons have figures mounted on pedestals, auricular style triangular handles, rudimentary rat tails and deep gilded spoon bowls (deep lemon colour). The first spoon from Amsterdam has a figure holding a long implement with notches (all suggestions welcome), and has a hole under his arm (possibly a missing piece?). The handle or stem is triangular, with zig zag scratches, the 4 hallmarks grouped on back of bowl at left side are clear (as is usual for Amsterdam spoons of this period). The marks include makers mark JS in oval punch (very clear), for Johannes Selling, date letter V (1780), Dutch purity lion for first grade (934) silver, and Amsterdam town mark. The spoon has a later well struck mark struck in the bowl, the axe or hatchet mark, used between 1853 ...
A set of 6 rat tail trefid coffee spoons, reproductions of a 17th century style, but just a few years short of being antique themselves. The spoons are in excellent condition, they do not appear to have been used. The original box reads "Wilson & Gill, The Goldsmiths, 139 Regent Street, London W", under a crown. Wilson and Gill was established in 1892, it still trades today as Hester Clarke (www.hesterclarke.co.uk), run by the 5th generation descendants. The hallmarks are clear on all 6 spoons, including makers mark TB&S for Thomas Bradbury & Sons, a leading Sheffield manufacturer.
A beautiful set of 6 art deco gilded sterling silver and enamel coffee spoons, with seal top finials. The gilding is a deep yellow colour, which provides a lovely contrast to the enamel. The back of the spoon bowls are beautifully decorated with fan shaped guilloche enamel, in 6 different bold colours (green, red, yellow, purple and light and dark blue). Guilloche enamel is a technique where a precise pattern is engraved on the silver base using a rose engine lathe, also called engine turning. The hallmarks on all 6 spoons are clear, including makers mark SLd for William Suckling Ltd, who worked between 1922 and 1955.