A Dutch silver ribber Hanoverian tablespoon, with interesting hallmarks. The spoon has a pronounced frontal rib, the drop is rounded with a V shaped decoration, and the spoon has original owners engraved initials Ch.I on the back of the spoon, unusually engraved upside down (not sure if this is a Dutch custom?). Six hallmarks are present, all clearly struck and very clear. They include makers mark AI around anchor in shaped punch for Anthonie Janse, who worked in Middelburg between 1811 and 1821 (source Netherlands Responsibility Marks since 1797, mark 727), this spoon proves he was already working in 1810. The next hallmark is date letter C for 1810, followed by Castle in oval punch, the townmark for Middelburg, only used between 1807 and 1812 during the Kingdom of Holland period (source Voet, Nederlandse Zilvermerken 1445-1951, page 16), so this is a rare townmark. The next hallmark is 10, the standard mark for silver 10 Penningen, also only used 1807-1812, Kingdom of Holland. The 5th mark is crown above co...
A lovely pair of Early Georgian Hanoverian dessert or Child's spoons, made by the leading Huguenot spoonmaker of his day. The spoons are nicely proportioned, and have a double drop. The spoons are engraved on the back (as is usual for this period) with an interesting original family armorial, an Eagle wearing crown, clutching a quarter circle (sextant?) in its talon. The spoons are bottom marked, as is usual for this period, as a result the hallmarks are slightly squashed but still clearly legible, including makers mark PH under acorn for Paul Hanet. The date letter K is also clear, in unusual square outline (only K and M, 1725 and 1727, are not in Norman Shield, the only anomalies between 1561 and 1739), the second spoon is 1726, these hallmarks are worn but still discenable. Paul Hanet is described by Grimwade (London Goldsmiths, page 532) "from the evidence of the survival of pieces bearing his mark, Hanet was clearly one of the principal Huguenot spoonmakers of his day". Hanet entered his first London mar...
An antique silver miniature furniture cabinet, in 18th century style, made in Hanau by Simon Rosenau and imported into London by David Bridge in 1892. The cabinet has lovely detail, the hinged doors and 2 drawers are in full working order. The cabinet doors and sides are decorated with farming scenes, a woman collecting water, raking and carrying a tray, and a man with basket full of produce. Scrolls complete the design, the cabinet satnds on 4 S shaped feet, the drawers have ringpulls and the door has a handle. The base of the cabinet and base of largest drawer have Hanau hallmarks, a clear SR under crown makers mark, clear 930 standard mark (so slightly purer than sterling 925), less clear German moon and crown mark, and a 4th indistinct mark. The back of the cabinet has very clear London import marks for 1892 and Importers mark DB for David Bridge. Simon Rosenau worked in Bad Kissingen from 1862-1932, he supplied antiques to the Royal Bavarian court. His son took over the business in the 1890's, he was de...
A pair of antique silver whisky noggins, also called Chota Pegs. The noggins are the traditional conical shape, with cut glass star base, glass handle and silver pouring collar and lid with thumb piece. The hallmarks are clear on both the rim and the lid of both noggins. Whisky noggins were popular in Edwardian times, they contain a 1 gill (30 ml) measure, so a generous double tot, and were made to be taken to bed. They were also popular amongst British expats in India during the Raj period, where they were called "Chota Peg", or little drink, also "go to bed" drink. Joshua and John Maxfield, founded in 1855 in Sheffield, were celebrated at the Jewellers Exhibition of 1913 for "the extent and variety of novelties which they have placed on the market" Culme, Gold & Silversmiths pg 319. They had a showroom in London's Regent Street so must have been a prestigious firm.
An interesting solid silver figure of a musician playing a trumpet, decorated with coloured cabochon "jewels" in red, blue and green. The figure is beautifully modelled, the detail is astounding, clearly the work of a master craftsman. A total of 21 cabochons are present, we assume they are paste of glass, to simulate rubies, sapphires and emeralds, the cabochon in the hat is larger than the others. The texturing of the hat, hair and stockings is all done by hand. Their are traces of gilding on the figure, at end of trumpet and under coat. The figure only has one hallmark, a clear 13 in shield, quite a stylised 3, this is for 13 Loth silver, or 812 standard, used in Germany prior to 1888, hence our dating of the figure as circa 1880. Whilst no makers mark is present, we are confident it originates in Hanau, Germany, where a number of similar bejewelled figures were made, including a number of musicians. A number can be seen on the Pushkin Antiques website, www.pushkinantiques.com, in the archive/ sold section...
A rare and interesting Dutch silver matchbox holder (or cover), a memento of the destruction of the Ypres Cloth Hall (Lakenhal) during the Great War (World War I), imported and retailed by Harrod's of London. The box is embossed with a detailed image of the Great Cloth Hall in Ypres, before it's destruction during the war. The box reads "YPRES LES HALLES 1914". The gauge of silver is quite thin, and the box has been well used and damaged, 3 of the connecting arms have been repaired. The box is Dutch, and has clear Dutch hallmarks G for 1916, and makers mark VS for Vos & Co of Haarlem, Hertogenbosch. The box also has clear London import marks for 1916, and importers mark RB for Richard Burbridge, who was Managing Director of Harrods from 1911 to 1917. The Cloth Hall was first built in 1304, site of the Les Halles Market, and centre to the town of Ypres (Ieper). It was the site of many major battles during the War, first sustaining damage in 1914 but being completely destroyed by 1918. It was rebuilt between 19...
A Swiss 800 silver coin bowl, with wire rope border, made by Jezler of Schaffhausen. The coin is a 5 Schilling "New Money" coin from the Zurich Canton, it reads "THVRICENSIS MONETA NOVA" with lion holding sword and coat of arms, the reverse "PRO DEO ET PATRIA 1700". The bowl is hallmarked "800 JEZLER", and design number "3567".This is the prestigious firm of Jezler of Schaffhausen, established in 1822 and a leading Swiss silver and jewellery brand today.
An Irish Provincial toddy ladle in the Fiddle pattern, with original owners engraved initial H. The ladle has an old and crudely done repair to the bowl, a circular piece has been let in, the solder marks clearly visible, approximately 1.5 cm in diameter. These toddy ladles are usually Scottish in origin, but Irish examples are known, one is illustrated in the book "Celebration of Limerick Silver, page 132. The ladle is clearly hallmarked "STERLING" in rectangular punch with rounded corners, the letters irregular, so clearly a provincial "home made" punch. No makers mark is present. This sterling hallmark was used by Irish provincial makers, Cork but also Limerick, to denote the standard, these are rare items today. Given the repair we cannot recommend this ladle for use, but hopefully it is of interest to a collector researching different variations of the Sterling marks.
An interesting silver medallion, made to commemorate the World Championship Fly Casting event held in 1968 in Lenzerheide, Switzerland. The medallion reads "1968 LENZERHEIDE CHVR SWITZERLAND SCHAFT WELTMEISTER CHAMPION ATVDMOND WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CASTING IXII" in an interesting font, the other side has stylised design with a flower. The medallion is marked 900 (silver grade), maker LM Co., designer Gia Pedretti (Guiliano Pedretti, an artist and sculptor, 1924-2012). The event was held by the ICSF (International Casting Sport Federation) , for the World Championship on Water Fly Casting event
A lovely Irish silver Bright Cut Celtic Point tablespoon, with traditional Dublin Star cut on the terminal. The spoon has an oval cartouche, with engraved family crest of a Griffin holding branch with leaves, this is crisp and clear. The spoon is bottom marked, and unusually has excellent hallmarks (bottom marked hallmarks are oftern squashed), they could not be better. The include Dublin Hibernia and Harp Crowned, date letter O for 1786, and makers mark J.S for John Shiels (or Sheils) who worked between 1762 and 1790.
A beautiful sterling silver antique cheese scoop, in the Indian pattern, made by Whiting of New York and retailed by N. Harding & Co. of Boston (Haverhill). The scoop bowl is gold washed, and has lovely bright cut engraving (flowers with pattern) on the back of the bowl. The scoop has 2 engraved initials on the front, an ornate P and M, and on the back is engraved "Fathers Day 02" (for 1902). This spoon is described as a cheese scoop in the pattern books, but the extreme foldover of the bowl shows it was designed for Stilton cheese. The hallmarks are clear, including Whiting lion makers mark, "PAT 1874 STERLING", retailers mark N Harding & Co (slightly worn but still visible), and additional marks 3 and A near the makers mark. We can date this scoop between 1874 when the pattern was designed by Charles Osborne, and 1889 which is the year Harding & Co closed (operated 1851-1889). We really like this cheese scoop.The Whiting Manufacturing Company was established in 1866, and was a supplier to Tiffany. They wer...
A beautiful pair of sterling silver fruit serving spoons, made by Bailey & Co of Philadelphia between 1871 and 1878. The spoons have bright cut bowls which are gold washed, the handles also have a lovely design with palm leaves, we have not been able to identify the pattern (assistance welcome). The spoons have engraved owners initials MII in fancy script. The hallmarks are clear on both spoons, "STERLING PAT 1871, 1A, BAILEY & Co." The bowls also have an additional hallmark, an ornate shield with fancy design. Bailey & Co worked between 1832 and 1878 when they became Bailey, Banks & Biddle, they still exist today. Joseph & Charles Bailey are remembered for excellent quality, these spoons are no exception. The firm claimed the distinction of being the first to introduce the sterling 925 British standard to the American public, at the time the standard was 900 (Rainwater, Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers, page 33).
A Irish Georgian silver tablespoon, in the Old English pattern, with original owners engraved initials PRM. The spoon has a lovely feel, full of character, with quite a large bowl. The hallmarks are bottom marked, and very clear, they could not be better. They include Dublin Hibernia, Crowned Harp, date letter R for 1765 and makers mark C.S in diamond punch, with star above and below, very distinctive. Skinner worked between 1739 and 1765, so this spoon was made right at the end of his career. He was a highly respected silversmith, he was elected Warden in 1751, Master in 1754 and in 1755 was elected to the Dublin City Common Council (Bennett, Collecting Irish Silver, page 153).
A mixed set of antique American sterling silver, comprising of an olive spoon and olive fork. The spoon is Towle Empire pattern, patent 1894, with gold wash pierced bowl, this is a beautiful spoon. It was designed by George P Tilton, and has no monogramme. The fork is by Clark & Biddle, made between 1866 and 1870, it has a twisted stem, 3 tines with barbs, and intricate engraving. The fork has engraved owners initial P in fancy script, and is also engraved on the back "Thanksgiving 02", we assume 1902. Both items are clearly hallmarked.
An Irish Provincial silver Bright Cut Celtic Point tablespoon, made in Cork and hallmarked in Dublin in 1804. The spoon is quite large, over 23 cm, and has intricate bright cut engraving, the quality is excellent. The spoon has engraved family crest of a Boar's head, this too is beautifully engraved, and very crisp and clear. The hallmarks are clear, Dublin hallmarks for 1804, and JK in script makers mark for Joseph Kinselagh of Cork, he worked between 1802 and 1807, he may have been a descendant of earlier silversmith of same name, 1750-1783, perhaps the makers mark was passed down the family. More research is required on this maker.
A mixed set of 6 Irish silver tablespoons, all with excellent hallmarks. 3 spoons are Old English pattern (a matching pair by John Pittar, 1779, bottom marked, with worn shellbacks, and a spoon by Michael Keating, 1799), and 3 are Fiddle pattern (1805 by J.S, 1812 by Richard Sawyer and 1832 by Samuel Neville, this last spoon has a rat-tail. 3 spoons have engraved family crest, 2 spoons have engraved initials, and one spoon has not been engraved. All 6 spoons have well struck and clear Dublin hallmarks, and clear makers marks.
A Gorham sterling silver Louis XIV pattern pickle knife, with a pair of matching master salt spoons. The pattern is striking, described as "17 th Century Magnificence", named after King Louis Quatorze of France, who "made his reign famous for it's splendour". The pickle knife (similar to an English butter knife) is bright cut and gilded, with no monogramme, which the 2 saltspoons have goldwash bowls and engraved initials G. The hallmarks are clear on all 3 items, "Patent 1870, Sterling, and the Gorham lion, anchor and gothic G. Gorham Corporation, which still exists today, was founded in 1831, they dominated the solid silver flatware market in the USA for 125 years (Gorham Silver, page 50).
A Cape silver konfyt fork in the Fiddle pattern, with 3 tines. The fork is quite colonial in character, the tines have slightly different thicknesses, overall a little crude but clearly hand made. The fork has makers mark DBD between 2 five pointed stars (Welz mark 44), this is clearly struck with slight wear along the top. Dominique Baudouin Du Moulin worked between 1818 and 1833, he arrived in the Cape from Brabant (now Belgium) and married the sister of Cape silversmith Johannes Hendricus Beyleveld (Cape Silversmiths by Welz, page 131.). His work is only found occasionally.
A set of 6 sterling silver grapefruit spoons in the Kings pattern, double struck, in excellent condition, they appear unused. The spoons are very ggood quality and weight, over 30 grammes each, and the hallmarks are excellent on all 6 spoons. Cooper Brothers was established in 1866, they were successful manufacturers, eventually being sold in 1983. The original box has a label that reads "Bracher & Sydenham, Queen Victoria Street, Reading, est 1790", the firm has a long and illustrious history, and still operates today after being acquired by Goldsmiths chain in 1974. They received a Royal warrant from King Edward VII, who visited the shop personally. Note - 5 spoons are 1966, one is 1965, so made over the date letter change.
A pair of antique silver serving spoons, with beautiful pierced and engraved handles, in pristine condition. The detail of the piercing is excellent, an architectural feature surrounded by foliage. The spoons are a useful size, ideal for serving. The spoons appear to have never been used, such a pity for such beautiful items. The hallmarks on both spoons are clear, and include makers mark for the Sheffield firm of Hawksworth & Eyre, who worked between 1841 and 1932, when they were taken over by Ellis of Barker Brothers. Charles Hawksworth and John Eyre exhibited a wide variety of goods at the Great Exhibition of 1851, they had showrooms in London Fleet Street and Montreal, Canada. (Culme, Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, page 222).