A delightful antique silver Christening present, a child's feeding spoon decorated with a scene from J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, depicting Captain Hook, complete with hook and pistol, running away from the crocodile, with the Jolly Roger pirate ship in the background. The handle, which forms a circle (traditional baby feeding spoon), is also decorated with Peter Pan playing his flute, and 2 scenes with rabbits. The detail is lovely, as can be seen in the photos. The hallmarks are very clear, and include a registration number "Rd No 611912", indicating the design was registered to prevent copying by other firms. Levi & Salaman was established in 1870, and was merged into Barker Brothers in 1921 (Culme, Directory Gold and Silversmiths). They were highly regarded, particularly for good quality souvenir spoons. They made a number of variations of these nursery rhyme spoons, including "this little pig (S 1535) and "hey diddle diddle (S120) featured on our website. They also made a "little miss muffet" version.
A fabulous Victorian silver prize medallion, one of the finest we have encountered. The medallion is oval, surrounded by a cast rim of flowers. A silver suspension loop is attached to an ornate scroll. This medallion is large and heavy, the quality is exceptional. Both oval plaques are engraved, the first reads "TAIN ROYAL ACADEMY AWARDED TO G.ERNEST ROSS FOR EXCELLENCE IN CLASSICS", the second reads "PRESENTED BY D. FOWLER ESQ. PROVOST OF TAIN JULY 1899". The hallmarks are small but clear, very well struck. Donald Fowler was Provost (the Scottish equivalent of Mayor) of Tain between 1898 and 1910, he was a chemist by profession.
A Cape silver konfyt fork in the Fiddle pattern, with 3 tines. The fork has the original owners initials PJS, quite quaintly engraved in Colonial style.The fork has excellent hallmarks, they could not be better. They include makers mark MLS and the leaf device, with the veins clearly visible (Welz mark 117). Smith was a Dane who arrived in the Cape as a VOC employee in 1757 aged 35, he died in 1806. He led an interesting life, he married 4 times, and had 10 children.
A set of 6 Irish silver dessert spoons, in the Fiddle pattern with rat-tails, a feature of Irish flatware of the period. The spoons have original owners engraved initials WMH. The hallmarks on all 6 are excellent, and include makers mark IB for James Brady, who worked between 1821 and 1842. The spoons also have the retailer's mark, NEILL, which is very clear on all the spoons. Irish retailers were among the first to mark flatware, early adopters of corporate branding. NEILL was a leading Belfast retailer, first established by Robert Neill in 1803, the firm survived until 1960.
A Danish silver Skonvirke (Arts & Crafts) cream ladle, made by the respected Danish silversmith Evald Nielsen in 1924. The ladle is the No 4 pattern, which has organic flowing scrolls in relief, so quite pleasing to hold. The ladle is hand hammered, with the planish marks visible in the bowl and the stem. The ladle has a flat circular bowl with a narrow lip, about 0.7 cm deep. The ladle is 830 grade silver, as is usual for Danish silver. The well struck hallmarks include "Evald Nielsen" in an attractive script, with "No 4" indicating pattern, date letter "ANNO 1924", the letter "S" surrounded by dots in shaped punch for silver, and "830" in oval punch surrounded by dots for grade of silver. Evald Nielsen worked between 1905 and 1958 from Copenhagen, he designed all his own designs (as opposed to his contemporary Georg Jensen). He won numerous awards internationally, and his silver can be seen in numerous museums, including the Metropolitan in New York, V&A in London, and Kunstmuseum in Denmark. Nielsen produ...
An interesting German silver coin dish, with a German 3 Mark silver coin set in the centre of the circular dish. The coin is a special issue by the city of Hamburg, the front has the Hamburg city armorial (3 turreted castle supported by lions, it has lovely detail), and city motto "FREIE UND HANSESTADT HAMBURG", the obverse has German eagle and "DEUTSCHES REICH 1911 DREI MARK". The bowl is also engraved "UBERSEE-KAFFEE, Hamburg", Ubersee Kaffee (translated Overseas Coffee) was a large German coffee business focussed on the export market, we assume this was a corporate gift. Given the size of their building it must have been a substantial business (see photo). The hallmarks are clear, the German silver half moon and crown used after 1888, 835 standard mark, and a script makers mark W Hafer, which we have not been able to trace (assistance welcome).
A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A collection of 10 sterling silver Royal souvenir spoons. Six spoons have enamel finials, 1 has enamel bowl as well. Six spoons are English, 3 are Canadian and 1 is Dutch. 4 spoons commemorate coronations. The spoons include:
1. Edward VII in commemoration of the Coronation, Westminster Abbey 1902, Birmingham 1901, Henry Griffiths & Sons, Abbey in bowl
2. Edward VII, Birmingham 1901, S Blanckensee & Sons, Edward in bowl, pierced cast Edward handle, gilded, a lovely spoon
3. Victoria Queen and Empress, London 1898, Saunders & Shepherd, imported F mark, gilded
4. King George V, Mary Queen Consort, Crowned at Westminster June 22 1911, Birmingham 1910, BH Joseph & Co, coronation chair in cast handle
5. Elizabeth II, Crowned 1953, Birmingham 1952, Mappin & Webb, coronation hallmark, "Fire Triumphs over Materials" for JK Smit & Sons, diamond drilling company
6. Royal visit to South Africa, King George VI and Queen Mother, South African coat of arms, Dutch dagger hallmark and makers mark for Van Kempen
An Art Nouveau antique silver mustard pot, complete with original green glass liner. The pot is oval in shape, and has traditional Art Nouveau stylised flowers on the 4 corners, repeated on the lid thumbpiece. The glass pot sits on a circular support, which is also hallmarked (as is the main body and lid). The hallmarks are clear, and include registration mark RD 436134, meaning Walker and Hall registered this design to prevent copying by competitors.
A fabulous set of 6 Tiffany Sterling silver Indian Chrysanthemum tablespoons, in immaculate condition, they could not be better. The pattern is truly beautiful, it extends right down the back of the spoon bowls as well. All 6 spoons are clearly hallmarked "TIFFANY & Co STERLING PAT.1880.M, the M indicates these are early pieces (the pattern was produced from 1880-1934). This must be one of the most beautiful example of hallmarks, with the design wrapping over and through the hallmarks. Each individual spoon weighs 120 grams, certainly the heaviest tablespoons we have encountered (the very best quality English tablespoons can reach 100 grammes). Indian Chrysanthemum has been described as "one of the most magnificent and celebrated sterling silver designs of the 19th century. Chrysanthemum represents one of the last great designs of the Victorian period" -(www.replacements.com), it was designed by Charles Grosjean. "Master silversmith Charles T. Grosjean joined the Tiffany firm as the Superintendent of Silverwa...
An Edwardian silver and enamel novelty vesta case, of circular form with hinged flip top lid and striker built into the base. The vesta has an applied enamel in silver rope border, featuring a pack of 8 English foxhounds, very attractively modelled with lovely colours. Vesta cases (also called matchsafes) were used to store vestas (early matches before safety matches were invested), they were very popular between 1890 and 1910.
A set of 6 Old English pattern Cape silver tablespoons, made by Johannes Combrink. All 6 spoons have engraved owners initials G, we assume the original owner. This set has been made by hand, there are slight differences in length, also differences in the shape of the handle, with some having narrower ends. One spoon also has a noticeably larger bowl than the other 5, so perhaps made at a different time. The drop on 2 spoons is also slightly longer, overall interesting but subtle differences between the spoons. The hallmarks also exhibit differences, three spoons are struck with makers mark IC three times, the other three are struck with makers mark IC four times (similar to the English duty dodgers). The orientation of the marks also differs, some are struck vertically and some sideways, so it appears the silversmith struck marks quite randomly. This mark is 29 or mark 30 in the book Cape Silver by Welz, the C is quite close the the I, and has short arms, almost looks like a K. The slightly larger spoon, whic...
An Irish silver wine label engraved CLARET, made by Benjamin Taitt in Dublin circa 1785. The label has a curved rectangular shape, with an attractive bright cut and wiggle work border, and original chain. This particular form of label is uniquely Irish, English examples of this type curved up, only Irish labels curve down. The Claret engraving is quirky, done by hand and rougher than London examples of the time. The hallmarks are excellent, and include makers mark BT in a serrated oblong, harp crowned in a irregular shaped punch (so pre 1786) and Hibernia in an oval punch (used before 1793). A very similar label, also by Taitt, is depicted in the book Wine Labels 1730-2003, pg 279, figure 927, for W-WINE, described as circa 1785-1790 so the dates match. The same book describes Taitt as "arguably the most innovative of Irish wine label makers, a particularly successful exponent of bright-cut engraving". He made the famous balloon label, only one of which is known, pg 82, and he worked between 1775 and 1800.
An interesting silver gilt Georgian vinaigrette, in the shape of a purse or handbag, the body decorated with chased 3 leaf device, which has been described as a trefoil design in the literature. The shape is lovely, very pleasing to hold, and with the texture has good grip. The quality is excellent, certainly made by a master craftsman. The base has a leaf design around oval eye. The lid is also beautifully decorated, a central flower on finely engraved cross-hatch surrounded by pattern border, and the side of the lid has a fruiting vine border, very delicately chased. The vinaigrette has 2 eyelets which holds the original chain, each chain link is also decorated with a bar pattern. The pierced grille has a foliate design, also engraved, both hinges are perfect. The interior gilding is also perfect. The vinaigrette has clear hallmarks, the lid has Georgian duty mark, very clear makers mark L&Co which is struck upside-down, and lion passant. The base has anchor town mark, partially worn makers mark and a very ...
A fabulous pair of Cape Silver lemoen lepels, (orange spoons), in excellent condition, and with very clear makers mark. The spoons are typical of the Cape lemoen lepels, with pointed terminal and bowl, the bowl itself eye shaped and quite deep. The spoons have typical Cape engraving, with a 4 petal flower and wrigglework along the edges of the handles. They also have a distinctive V joint connecting handle to bowl, the 2 v joints are quite different in angle and style, reflecting their hand-made character. The IC makers mark on both spoons is well struck and clear (Welz mark 32 with canted corners). Welz describes orange spoons as"probably the most attractive type of spoon made at the Cape, derived from Dutch spoons", pg 95. He also notes that all known examples are by Cape born silversmiths of the early 19th century (so not made by the more prolific English immigrants who arrived after 1815). As far as we are aware, only Jan Lotter and Johannes combrink made lemoen lepels, probably between 1800 and 1815.
A collection of ten sterling silver shipping and sporting souvenir spoons, 7 with enamel finials. The spoons include:
1, 2 & 3. Steamships SS Virginian, Tunisian, Mauretania, Chester 1906, Alfred Wigley, gilded bowls
4. SS City of Poona, JRE SS, Birmingham 1929, James Fenton
5. Wembley Bowling Club, Birmingham 1913, Birmingham Medallion Co, 3 swords crested medallion, lovely quality
6. Bowling medallion trophy spoon, Birmingham 1931, Turner & Simpson
7. Bowling shield trophy spoon, Sheffield 1936, Gladwin Ltd
8. Pretoria Golf Club, Miss Whitfield, Birmingham 1902, James Fenton, beautiful crest
9. Lady golfer, Birmingham 1921, Herbert Bushell & Son, nice detail
10. UK & PC Bulldog club, Mrs BH Arnold 18/1/13, London 1912, Robert Pringle & Sons, beautiful enamel bulldog.
A rare Philadelphia coin silver teaspoon, in the American Fiddle pattern, made by John Townsend. The spoon has original owners script initials engraved on both sides, ALH on the front and AH on the back. The makers mark J.TOWNSEND in rectangular punch is clearly struck, this is a rare makers mark, not illustrated in the book "Philadelphia Silversmiths and related Artisans to 1861", by Catherine Hollan, which has over 3800 entries. The punch itself is interesting, the letters are not quite properly aligned, with the E lower than the S, so perhaps the punch itself was home made. John Townsend was born in 1789 in Pennsylvania, he was listed as a jeweller, clockmaker and watchmaker, he worked between 1811 and 1860. His son John K Townsend was born in 1809, he practised as a watchmaker and dentist, first in Philadelphia and later in Washington. Philadelphia was the largest silver market in the USA between 1760 and 1820. Our interest in this particular spoon is that Townsend shares a name with Cape Silversmith John...
A fine and heavy cast silver commemorative caddy spoon made to celebrate the investiture of the Prince of Wales in 1969. The caddy spoon bowl is made up of the 3 Prince of Wales feathers, joined to the handle with a Royal crown and the motto "ICH DIEN", translated "I Serve", the handle has a Welsh dragon. The bowl is quite deep, the feathers have been shaped, the detail of the feathers is also very fine. The spoon is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, including makers mark G&Co Ld. for Garrards, the Crown Jewellers (founded in 1722, it retained the Royal Warrant until 2007). The back of the caddy spoon is also marked "Garrard & Co Ltd 112 Regent St W". Another example of this caddy spoon is shown in the book "The Story of the Caddy Spoon 1775-2015" produced by the Society of Caddy Spoon Collectors, page 63. It also was part of the John Norie Collection, Part II, lot 384.
A pair of antique sterling silver shoe buckles, made in Birmingham in 1912. The buckles are rectangular with canted corners, with a supporting centre strut for attachment to a shoe. Both buckles are clearly hallmarked, one makers mark has been over-stamped by the Levi & Salaman makers mark, so they were probably the retailers. Shoe buckles were fashion accessories for both men and women from the mid 17th century for the next few hundred years.
A pair of rare Old English Feather Edge and Cartouche silver tablespoons, made by William Pinder in 1771. The spoons are lovely quality and in excellent condition, we really like these spoons. The cartouche has been chased and engraved by hand, you can see small differences between the 2, notably the size and orientation of the scroll underneath. The cartouches are engraved with a family crest, a Griffin's head erased, this is the family crest of the Nalder Family (Fairbairns crests). Whilst Old English Feather Edge is a common pattern, the addition of the Cartouche, first produced around 1770 by Thomas Northcote, is rare (Silver Flatware, Ian Pickford, page 105). The pattern was revived late 19th century by Carrington, who called it Carrington Shield. The hallmarks are bottom marked, and include clear makers mark WP, with the W and P co-joined for William Pinder, who worked from Bunhill road between 1770 and 1784 (Grimwade page 624). The crowned leopards head and lion passant are partially worn but still cle...