4 piece tea service comprising teapot, hot water jug, creamer and sugar, by the well known craftsman A.E. Jones. They are beautifully made, with spot hammered bodies and cast disc feet. A simple design of an embossed band with roses is present, as is the engraved initial R. All pieces are fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, including the lids and even the finial screwnut.
A magnificent Bacchanalian pattern silevr dessert spoon, with fluted bowl. This is one of the rarest English silver flatware patterns, it was originally produced by Paul Storr. The spoon shows Bacchus, the Roman God of wine, riding a lion, whilst a topless Diana looks on, with another figure asleep at her feet. The back of the spoon is also beautifully decorated, with a masque over a theatre curtain, and tilted amphora of wine. Bunches of grapes and vine leaves complete the decoration. The spoon is extremely good quality, quite heavy to hold, sturdy enough to use as a serving spoon, and the hallmarks are clear.
Bacchanalian pattern is shown in "Silver Flatware" by Pickford (pg. 127), where an identical dessert service made by Wakely and Wheeler is depicted. The pattern was originally designed by Thomas Stothard, the famous painter and designer, for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell, the Royal silversmiths, in 1812, the first service was used by King George III. The other rare patterns in the same series include Boar...
A handbeaten, three legged, Arts and Crafts sweet bowl, with leaf and paw feet. In addition to the hallmarks (which are clear) the bowl is stamped "Connell, 83 Cheapside". Connell's was a highly regarded firm which was situated at 83 Cheapside from 1845 until it went into voluntary liquidation in 1939, probably as a result of the outbreak of war. Connell's of Cheapside have been described as "pioneers of modern artistic silverware" (Pudney, Silver Society Journal 11), one of the few traditional London dealers that promoted the Arts and Crafts movement. Much of their silver was produced by WH Haseler, William Hutton & Sons and AE Jones.
Asparagus server with plain handle and blades with pierced floral design, one blade has a lip. Hallmarks are clear, the spring is also marked with a lion passant. Wellby was reknowned for its fine copies of earlier designs, and supplied many leading retailers, including Barnard & Sons. They were located in Garrick St, Covent Garden from 1866 - 1965.
A replica Slip Top spoon, made to commemorate the silver jubilee (25 years on the throne) of King George V and Queen Mary. The spoon is in traditional slip-top form, with hexagonal stem, slip-top end and pear shaped bowl. Original Slip Top spoons date from the early 17th century, and were described by Eric Delieb (Investing in Silver) as "possibly the most graceful of spoons". The hallmarks are exceptional, showing very good detail, including the Jubilee mark which shows the sovereign's heads in profile. This mark was only used in 1934 and 1935 on a voluntary basis.
Interesting set of 3 wine labels, for Port, Sherry and RRandy! - the original engraver made quite a mistake! The labels are Brittania silver (950 as opposed to sterling 925)and have a Georgian scroll design, in the style of Hester Bateman, circa 1785. They have zig zag engraved borders, and a small blank heraldic shield above the scroll. Levi and Salaman were well regarded, known for their work in reproducing the Georgian style.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
An antique silver and gold fob medallion, still in original box, marked "Fattorini & Sons, Goldsmiths, Bradford". The gold plaque is engraved "1904 E.P.R.F.U. Cup", we imagine Eastern Province Rugby Football Union (of South Africa). The back is engraved "Olympic F.C. (football club), 2nd Team, G. Brown". The hallmarks are excellent, this is also stamped "Fattorini Bradford".
Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by Italian immigrants, they specialised in sports trophies and medals. They made both the FA Cup and the Rugby League Challenge Cup, both still in use today.
Two sterling silver Apostle spoons, the first St. Jude and the second St. James the Greater. Both Apostles are well modeled, with lovely detail. St. Jude carries an axe, St. James a staff and bible. Both spoons are from a set (no 146) which originally contained 13 spoons, issued by The Heritage Collection in 1978, limited to 1000 sets. The hallmarks are clear, and include maker mark CM (Cape Mint, part of the Pagliari Group), STG for Sterling silver, antelope head for South Africa, and date letter E for 1978. Both spoons have the Apostle's name engraved on the stem.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
An interesting silver spoon, commemorating the 7th Battalion, The Duke of Cambridge Own Middlesex Regiment. The spoon has the regimental badge, a Roman soldier with shield and sword, surrounded by the motto "Pro Rege Patria et Laribus", translated "For King, Home and Country". A laurel wreath surrounds this, and the Royal crown sits on top. The spoon also carries the motto "South Africa 1900", signifying battle honours won during the Boer War, and "1798", which commemorates the Hampstead Volunteers of 1798, the founders of the Regiment. The regiment is known as the "Die Hards", a nickname earned during the Peninsula wars at Albuera in 1811. During the Boer War they were involved in the Relief of Ladysmith, and the attack on Spioenkop. The 7th Battalion were formed in 1907, it was a volunteer Battalion, and also a "special reserve" Battalion, whose duty was supplying drafts to the 4 front line Battalions in time of need. In 1911 (the year the spoon was made, so we assume it commemorates this event), the 7th be...
A silver thimble, size 11, with an unusual and attractive "pierced skirt" or "garland of flowers", the garlands decorated with tiny flowers, with leaves suspended between the garlands. The hallmarks are clear, but have some wear. The makers mark CH is very clear. The hallmarks are accompanied by size mark "11".
Charles Horner invented the "Dorcas" thimble in the 1880's, the business became famous for thimbles, hatpins and enamels. It was located in Halifax, Yorkshire, as a consequence most Horner silver is hallmarked in Chester. We have been informed that this border is called Vandyke.
A lovely set of classic deco coffee spoons, in original box. All 6 spoons are clearly hallmarked.
A collectable antique silver fob medallion depicting a footballer kicking a ball, and engraved "C.R.F.U., Second Team, 1905". The footballer has a beaded border, set on medallion shaped fob with flying scrolls. The hallmarks are clear. CRFU today stands for "Cornwall Rugby Football Union", but given the round ball we feel this was more likely a football rather than rugby club. Charles Winter worked between 1904 and 1911, first at Soho Metal Works and later at Soho Scientific Instrument Co. (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths).
Beautiful set of dainty Art Deco cake forks, in original box. Very clear hallmarks on all 6 forks. Charles Fletcher took over the firm Brewis and Co in 1907, the firm still exists today.
A boxed set of 6 silver enamel commemorative teaspoons, with enamel "Southern Rhodesia" with coat of arms, and cast bowls featuring "Rhodes Statue, Bulawayo". Cecil John Rhodes was a British empire builder, who obtained mineral rights in the territory later to bear his name in 1888. Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was the name used for the British colony between 1901 and 1964. The spoons are in their original box, and were retailed by Birch & Gaydon, "Watchmakers to the Admiralty", of Fenchurch street, London. The hallmarks are clear on all spoons, although the makers mark (present but unidentified) is poorly struck and only partially visible.
Miniature toy trophy or goblet, with gilt interior. Woodward specialised in making trophies and cups for other retail firms. Clear hallmarks.
An interesting antique silver spoon, used as a prize in a rifle shooting competition in Natal (now Kwazulu Natal), South Africa. The stem has the cast inscription "For Making Central Bulls Eye", the back of the bowl has an applied plaque, the emblem of the Natal Rifle Association. It contains a seated Boer soldier on a horse, with the motto "Semper Parati" (Always Prepared), and the date 1862, we assume the date the association was formed. The horse and rider are well modelled, as can be seen in the photos. Semper Parati is now the motto of the Boy Scout movement, perhaps Baden Powell encountered it during his time in South Africa during the Boer war.
The spoon was made by the highly regarded Levi & Salaman, and has Birmingham hallmarks for 1905.
A delightful silver whistle in full working order, it emits a piercing and loud whistle (which certainly attracted attention when we tested it!). The whistle is engraved with scrolling foliage, and has a ring and link to allow it to be suspended from a chain or chatelaine. The hallmarks are very clear. This would make a lovely and functional pendant on a silver necklace. William John Hutchinson worked between 1900 and 1929.