Early pair of bright cut English provincial sugar tongs with clear makers and duty mark, however date and town mark are not present. Quite heavy and solid, have a nice feel. Initials TMM on bow.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
An antique silver and gold fob medallion, still in original box, marked "Fattorini & Sons, Goldsmiths, Bradford". The gold plaque is engraved "1904 E.P.R.F.U. Cup", we imagine Eastern Province Rugby Football Union (of South Africa). The back is engraved "Olympic F.C. (football club), 2nd Team, G. Brown". The hallmarks are excellent, this is also stamped "Fattorini Bradford".
Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by Italian immigrants, they specialised in sports trophies and medals. They made both the FA Cup and the Rugby League Challenge Cup, both still in use today.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A silver thimble, size 11, with an unusual and attractive "pierced skirt" or "garland of flowers", the garlands decorated with tiny flowers, with leaves suspended between the garlands. The hallmarks are clear, but have some wear. The makers mark CH is very clear. The hallmarks are accompanied by size mark "11".
Charles Horner invented the "Dorcas" thimble in the 1880's, the business became famous for thimbles, hatpins and enamels. It was located in Halifax, Yorkshire, as a consequence most Horner silver is hallmarked in Chester. We have been informed that this border is called Vandyke.
Pair of Georgian provincial silver Exeter tablespoons in the Old English pattern, with clear hallmarks.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
An Exeter silver sifter ladle in the Fiddle pattern, with an engraved family crest featuring a dog or wolf. The sifter is the traditional shape, with beautiful scroll and cross-hatch piercing. The hallmarks are excellent, and include makers mark JAP, Victoria duty mark, lion passant, castle town mark and date letter gothic C for 1839. James Andrew Page worked between 1833 and 1862 in Plymouth, he died in 1898. In 1862 the business became Page, Keen & Page, which survived being destroyed by bombs in 1941, and merged with Bowdens in 1970. Page, Keen & Page produced interesting silver replica spoons complete with early Plymouth hallmarks.
Basting spoon that was made in Bristol but hallmarked in Exeter. The spoon is a good weight, and has no wear in the bowl. The hallmarks are extremely clear, even including the workman's tallymark. A lovely spoon, ideal for use as a serving spoon. William Woodman of Bristol were one of England's largest flatware producers in their day.
An interesting collection of York silver teaspoons, with well struck and interesting York silver hallmarks. The oldest spoon is Old English pattern, the other 5 are Fiddle pattern. The spoons are as follows:
1. Old English, Robert Cattle & James Barber, 1809, Mark 16, Baggott, pg 89 (An Illustrated Guide to York Hallmarks 1776-1858)
2. Barber, Cattle & North, 1828, mark 21 Baggott, pg 89 - half moon journeymans mark, engraved "Kathleen".
3. Barber, Cattle & North, 1831, mark 23 Baggott, pg 90, engraved initials ED in script, contemporary.
4. Barber & North, 1835, mark 24 Baggott pg 90, defect to corner of punch.
5 & 6). Pair, Barber & North, 1844, mark 25 Baggott pg 90, defect to edge of punch.
As can be seen form the photographs, the marks are well struck and quite varied.
Robert Cattle, originally in partnership with George Cattle, John Hampston and John Prince, took James Barber into partnership in 1808. The partnership was dissolved in 1814. Robert Cattle was Lord Mayor in 1840, he died in 1842 (Mu...
Lovely Albert fob chain, of exceptional quality - each and every link in the chain is individually hallmarked with the lion sterling mark. One link has the citymark and datestamp as well. Both bulldog clips at the end of the chains are also hallmarked with the lion and date letter. Albert Cohen and Charles Solomon were highly regarded manufacturing jewellers, based in Holborn Circus, London, who were the sole representatives of the Parisian firm Baudet Freres & Cie in the UK and colonies. The Albert was named after Prince Albert, Consort to Queen Victoria. This particular one is a double, with 2 chain ends, and central attachment for a seal. The bar would fit into a waistcoat buttonhole. Given the length of this Albert, it could be worn as a necklace.
Delightful 8 piece miniature Coffee set including coffeepot, with composition handle, milk jug, sugar basin, 2 cups and saucers, and a two handled tray. The interiors are gilt, and each of the 8 pieces is clearly hallmarked (including the coffee pot lid). Saunders and Sheperd were well known for their miniatures.
Plain set of 3 Old English tablespoons from Newcastle, with very clear hallmarks. These spoons all have the same Initial B as the 4 tablespoons with the incuse duty mark (item S 1184).
A delightful Chester silver miniature card box, complete with complete set of "Little Duke" cards. Box and lid are both hallmarked with Chester marks. George Nathan and Ridley Hayes worked between 1897 and 1912, they had premises in Howard Street, Birmingham and also a retail shop at 13 Hatton Gardens, London.
Teapot, sugarbowl, creamer and tray. Teaservice oblong shaped, half fluted. Tray oval with two handles, ball feet and lattice design over wooden base. Gilt interiors. All items Birmingham except sugarbowl which has a Chester hallmark. All items fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, even the teapot lid!
A rare Exeter silver caddy spoon, made by Henry Samuel Ellis, who was only mentioned in the Exeter records in 1853, silver by him is rare (he died in 1878). The spoon has a vine leaf on the front of the handle, and a gilded fluted shell bowl. This is an unusual design, only used by Ellis in 1853 as far as we know (a few 1853 spoons by Ellis have this design, it is now called the HSE trademark leaf terminal - see www.antiquesilverspoons.co.uk and Bonhams - Knowle lot 121, 19/9/2006). The hallmarks are clear, the HSE makers mark is slightly worn at the top. Henry Samuel Ellis was Mayor of Exeter in 1868, his photograph is courtesy of www.exetermemories.co.uk. Henry Ellis and Son, advertised that their spoons were made with silver from the Combe Martin silver mine Story of the Caddy Spoon, 1775-2015, exhibition catalogue, page 35). Combe Martin is in North Devon, the disused silver mines are now a tourist attraction. Silver from Combe Martin was used for items in the crown jewels, it also financed war expenses o...
An interesting antique silver milk (or cream) jug, hallmarked in Exeter but possibly made in Devon. It is oblong in shape, with an unusual cast rim with different types of flowers and thistles, and a very fine engraved band of scrolling foliage around the body. The jug has an ornate leaf and rose capped scroll handle, and 4 bun feet. The jug, casting and engraving is very fine quality, the work of a master craftsman. The 5 hallmarks are all clear, including makers mark SL. The base has an engraved number "10", possibly an inventory number. The oblong shape was popular for tea services between 1805 and 1815 in London, we often see a style lag in provincial centres. Simon Levy produced Exeter hallmarked silver between 1818 and 1832. Of Jewish origin, he was buried in the Jewish burial ground in Exeter, just outside the Roman wall. He was the son of Emanuel Levy, also a silversmith. They resided in the parish of St Thomas, Devon.
A lovely set of 6 single struck Kings pattern with shoulders (Kings Front French Shoulder, Pickford, Silver Flatware, pg 123) Newcastle silver teaspoons. The spoons are the larger size teaspoons, and have a good gauge, over 20 grammes each, these are pleasing quality. Single struck flatware is usually found in Scotland, it is unusual in England, where the patterns were usually double struck (pattern on both sides) The hallmarks on all 6 teaspoons are excellent, and include makers mark TS for Thomas Sewell I, who worked between 1846 and 1875. They include an additional 5 hallmarks, uncrowned Victoria duty mark, lion passant, three castle town mark, leopards head uncrowned, and date letter I in circular punch for 1847. It is clear the date letter and makers mark were struck individually, the other 4 marks struck together in a stub (the date letter punch overlaps slightly on 2 spoons). These are interesting hallmarks, the uncrowned leopards head was only used for 5 years between 1846 and 1850, when it reverted b...
An interesting 17th century style silver notched 2 pronged fork and matching spoon, the fork a replica of the earliest known English table fork. Both are faithful replicas of the puritan style, with 3 notches at the top of the flat stem. Both carry 2 family crests, the top a griffiths head and wings, the Montagu family crest, the second is a peacock in pride, the crest of John Manners, 8th Earl of Rutland of Haddon Hall, the owner of the original fork. This fork, made in 1632, is known as the Manners Fork, and is in the V&A museum in London. Frances Montagu was the wife of John Manners. The hallmarks are exceptionally well struck, they could not be better. They include makers mark "GOF Lo under star" for George Lowe & Son of Bridge Street, Chester, who date back to 1770 and who still trade today. They also include the Chester wheat sheaf town mark (struck in the spoon bowl as is usual for 17th century spoons), date letter and lion passant. The original box, marked "Lowe & Sons, Silversmiths, Bridge St Row, Ch...
An antique Essex crystal brooch, set in an attractive 18 carat gold setting with rope border. The brooch contains the burgee (yacht club pennant) of the Royal London Yacht Club, with the London crest under a crown. The brooch is of extremely good quality, and is in immaculate condition. The crystal is convex, polished into a cabochon, the image itself is carved and hand painted, and the viewer is given a 3 dimensional view. The Royal London Yacht Club was founded in 1838, and is now based in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
The hallmarks are very clear, and include the crown and "18" indicating 18 carat gold, Chester wheatsheaf town mark, date letter gothic "S" for 1881, and makers mark R.N. for Richard Nevill, who was a manufacturing jeweller based in Birmingham (Chester Gold and Silver Marks, Ridgway and Priestley, pg 360), they worked between 1880 and 1917. The rim has additional 18 ct hallmarks, and the gold pin is also hallmarked.