A provincial silver Seal Top spoon, with an acanthus baluster seal top, which is probably a Taunton casting. The seal top is well made, and has remnants of gilding throughout, especially in the recessed areas. The stem is flattened hexagonal, and the bowl is the traditional fig shape, and it has a small rat-tail . The seal top has remnants of prick engraving, some pricks clearly visible, but not enough to read what was engraved. The spoon bowl itself is the traditional shape, with deep bowl, curving down from the stem. The spoon is struck 3 times by the same makers mark, once in the bowl and twice on the stem. The marks are not very clear, either they are worn or more probably struck with a worn punch. The punch has a rough shield shape with irregular edge, with a trifid top edge (Poole, Identifying British Silver, punch shapes, pg 15). The figure in the punch has a smaller roughly circular shape on top of a larger circular shape, our imagination runs to a crown over rose, piece of fruit or even a bird (with ...
A rare and unusual Victorian silver double lidded twin stamp box, one of the most practical designs we have seen on a stamp box. The box is rectangular, and is good quality, a pleasing weight, with gilded interior with 2 sloped compartments, and twin lids on separate hinges. The lids have separate silver frames which hold the glass in place covering the representative stamp. The box is clearly hallmarked, both lids and both frames are hallmarked as well. Cohen & Charles worked between 1890 and 1974, founded by Albert Cohen and Charles Solomon. They were the sole English agents for the leading French firm of Baudet Freres & Cie, so were a prestigious firm (Culme, Gold & Silversmiths, pg 88).
A very interesting West Country Provincial Apostle spoon, made by Thomas Dare II of Taunton. The Apostle has a circular nimbus with flying dove, the modelling is slightly crude (for example facial features not very distinct), his right hand is higher than his left, he appears to be holding something stretching between both hands, possibly the bat of St James, but this could also be a fold in his robe. He stands on the usual pedestal, and retains a pleasing amount of the original gilding. The join is flat (as opposed to London made V joint spoons), as is usual for provincial spoons, the stem is flat front and back but has rounded edges. It joins to the bowl with a small crude rat-tail, the bowl is the traditional fig shape, with deep bowl and strong curve from stem. This Apostle could also be St Matthew or St John, but safest to describe it as a generic Apostle spoon with no coherant emblem. The spoon is struck 4 times with makers mark TD in shaped shield over Fleur De Lys (M 38 in Tim Kent's book "West Count...
An interesting and rare set of 11 York Georgian silver Old English pattern tableforks, by the York makers Hampston & Prince, with a matching London tablefork. All 12 forks have the same engraved monogram HWT which is original. The forks consist of 4 dated 1789 (date letter C), 4 dated 1793 (date letter g), 3 dated 1794 (date letter h), and the London example dated 1809 by Robert Rutland, a spoonmaker. The forks have lovely balance and shape, very elegant, with long tines and a strong turn-ups at the end of the forks. The London fork matches well but has shorter tines, possibly from wear, what is interesting is that the 11 York forks are noticeably better quality (and weight) than the London example, which has an old repair on one tine (this goes against conventional wisdom that London made flatware is better quality than provincial - we feel this proves the opposite). The hallmarks are excellent, and demonstrate that many different punches were in operation at the York office at the same time, and that stand...
An antique silver and gold fob medallion, still in original box, marked "Fattorini & Sons, Goldsmiths, Bradford". The gold plaque is engraved "1904 E.P.R.F.U. Cup", we imagine Eastern Province Rugby Football Union (of South Africa). The back is engraved "Olympic F.C. (football club), 2nd Team, G. Brown". The hallmarks are excellent, this is also stamped "Fattorini Bradford".
Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by Italian immigrants, they specialised in sports trophies and medals. They made both the FA Cup and the Rugby League Challenge Cup, both still in use today.
A rare west country seal top silver spoon, with a Salisbury Group A finial. The seal top is prick engraved "E.B over T.B, 1661", indicating the celebration of a marriage. The bowl is fig shaped, and the stem is tapered and faceted. A small rat-tail connects the bowl to the stem. The seal top join is clearly visible at the back of the spoon, a horizontal join, as opposed to V joint seen on London spoons. The seal top is a decorative baluster casting, of substantial size, decorated with scrolls and gadrooning. This has been described by Tim Kent as a "Salisbury Group A" (Salisbury Silver and its Makers, 1550-1700, Silver Society Journal 3), where similar examples are illustrated on page 16. Kent has recognised that many West Country seal tops of the period were made by one silversmith who specialised in seal top castings, and who distributed them to the silversmiths of the area. Kent also identifies John Smith II as one of the silversmiths who used these (he cites an example of a Salisbury type B found on a sea...
A good quality antique silver replica of what is commonly referred to as "The Tudor Cup", which became famous when it was sold (as part of the Dunn-Gardner collection) at Christies auction in 1901 for GBP 4100, the highest price ever paid for a piece of silver at that time. John Dunn-Gardner, of Soham Manor, had a legendary collection of silver, the sale covered 6 volumes. The original cup of 1521, with scallop shell makers mark, is also known as the Holms cup, named after a previous owner. The original cup is now part of the collection of the Royal Scottish Museum, who purchased it in 1958 for GBP 9500. The museum's resources were augmented by the National Art Collection's fund, the Pilgrim Trust, the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths, H.M. Treasury and 2 private donors, enabling the cup to be kept in Great Britian (Ian Finlay, Silver in the Royal Scottish Museum, Connoisseur June 1959), where the original cup is pictured. The original cup is also pictured in the book "Old London Silver" by Howard (pg 100).
Basting spoon that was made in Bristol but hallmarked in Exeter. The spoon is a good weight, and has no wear in the bowl. The hallmarks are extremely clear, even including the workman's tallymark. A lovely spoon, ideal for use as a serving spoon. William Woodman of Bristol were one of England's largest flatware producers in their day.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
Delightful set of 4 silver fox menu holders (or place holders), of extremely high quality, by a well regarded maker. The menu holders all have the letter B engraved on the base disk. All are fully hallmarked with clear marks, including the number 9 before the makers mark. Sampson Mordan & Co had a retail shop in Regent Street, London.
Plain set of 3 Old English tablespoons from Newcastle, with very clear hallmarks. These spoons all have the same Initial B as the 4 tablespoons with the incuse duty mark (item S 1184).
A delightful Chester silver miniature card box, complete with complete set of "Little Duke" cards. Box and lid are both hallmarked with Chester marks. George Nathan and Ridley Hayes worked between 1897 and 1912, they had premises in Howard Street, Birmingham and also a retail shop at 13 Hatton Gardens, London.
Pair of Georgian provincial silver Exeter tablespoons in the Old English pattern, with clear hallmarks.
Delightful 8 piece miniature Coffee set including coffeepot, with composition handle, milk jug, sugar basin, 2 cups and saucers, and a two handled tray. The interiors are gilt, and each of the 8 pieces is clearly hallmarked (including the coffee pot lid). Saunders and Sheperd were well known for their miniatures.
Early pair of bright cut English provincial sugar tongs with clear makers and duty mark, however date and town mark are not present. Quite heavy and solid, have a nice feel. Initials TMM on bow.
Early provincial waiter of good gauge and in outstanding condition. The waiter has a shell and scroll rim, lion paw feet and an interesting Stag crest. The hallmarks are exceptionally clear, even the castle windows are clear in the town mark! The base is also scratch engraved with the weight, being 7.2 oz pnt.
A silver thimble, size 11, with an unusual and attractive "pierced skirt" or "garland of flowers", the garlands decorated with tiny flowers, with leaves suspended between the garlands. The hallmarks are clear, but have some wear. The makers mark CH is very clear. The hallmarks are accompanied by size mark "11".
Charles Horner invented the "Dorcas" thimble in the 1880's, the business became famous for thimbles, hatpins and enamels. It was located in Halifax, Yorkshire, as a consequence most Horner silver is hallmarked in Chester. We have been informed that this border is called Vandyke.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
Teapot, sugarbowl, creamer and tray. Teaservice oblong shaped, half fluted. Tray oval with two handles, ball feet and lattice design over wooden base. Gilt interiors. All items Birmingham except sugarbowl which has a Chester hallmark. All items fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, even the teapot lid!
An interesting antique silver milk (or cream) jug, hallmarked in Exeter but possibly made in Devon. It is oblong in shape, with an unusual cast rim with different types of flowers and thistles, and a very fine engraved band of scrolling foliage around the body. The jug has an ornate leaf and rose capped scroll handle, and 4 bun feet. The jug, casting and engraving is very fine quality, the work of a master craftsman. The 5 hallmarks are all clear, including makers mark SL. The base has an engraved number "10", possibly an inventory number. The oblong shape was popular for tea services between 1805 and 1815 in London, we often see a style lag in provincial centres. Simon Levy produced Exeter hallmarked silver between 1818 and 1832. Of Jewish origin, he was buried in the Jewish burial ground in Exeter, just outside the Roman wall. He was the son of Emanuel Levy, also a silversmith. They resided in the parish of St Thomas, Devon.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
A lovely pair of Victorian silver fish servers, beautifully decorated with an unusual sea horse design (actual horses with mermaid tails). The decoration is pierced and very finely engraved. The servers consist of a fish slice and serving fork in the Fiddle, Thread and Shell pattern. The set is good quality, and has a substantial feel when used. They have been beautifully preserved in their original felt and silk lined box, we get the impression they have never been used. The box itself is intact, with hinge and clasp in full working order, but the box is a little battered and worn, with remnants of an old label on the lid - acceptable given its 160 year age. The hallmarks are well struck and very clear on both items. John Stone was a well regarded Exeter silversmith who worked between 1825 and 1867, from 30 Bridge Street, Exeter, he produced many items of flatware. He registered his mark in London in 1844 (Culme, Directory of Gold and Silversmiths, pg 436), perhaps he wanted his finer items to have London ra...
Lovely Albert fob chain, of exceptional quality - each and every link in the chain is individually hallmarked with the lion sterling mark. One link has the citymark and datestamp as well. Both bulldog clips at the end of the chains are also hallmarked with the lion and date letter. Albert Cohen and Charles Solomon were highly regarded manufacturing jewellers, based in Holborn Circus, London, who were the sole representatives of the Parisian firm Baudet Freres & Cie in the UK and colonies. The Albert was named after Prince Albert, Consort to Queen Victoria. This particular one is a double, with 2 chain ends, and central attachment for a seal. The bar would fit into a waistcoat buttonhole. Given the length of this Albert, it could be worn as a necklace.
A lovely set of 4 Sampson Mordan menu holders (or place holders), modelled as owls, with original glass eyes. The owls are delightful, with lovely detail, and are set on circular silver bases. All 4 owls are fully hallmarked, with very clear hallmarks, including makers mark SM&Co. The owls also have an original design registration number, RD433091, and are also stamped with the number 14. Sampson Mordan produced a vast range of good quality personal and novelty trinkets, very innovative at the time, including pencils, bottles and cases (Bexfield, Millers Guide to Silver and Plate, pg 286). Owls were a favourite theme, they appear as bookmarks, scent bottles, vesta cases and of course menu holders.
A lovely pair of collectable Sampson Mordan silver owls, for use as place or menu holders. The owls have lovely detail, and the hallmarks are very clear on both. Each owl is lovely quality, as is usual for Mordan items. Each owl has 2 original amber glass eyes, each with a small and large pupil.
Sampson Mordan became famous for producing high quality, innovative novelty items, which enjoyed wide appeal. The firm existed between 1823 and 1941.
A provincial silver trefid spoon, made in Exeter in 1714. The spoon has an oval bowl, rat-tail with ribs, a flat stem and the traditionally shaped end with 2 clefts, with a slight upturn. The spoon is engraved "MH 1707" on the back of the spoon, the MH are co-joined, and the engraving is contemporary. During this period spoons were placed on the table bowl down, hence the engraving on the back. The spoon is quite light, as is often the case with provincial spoons, but in very good condition, given its age. The spoon has 5 hallmarks, makers mark MA co-joined, 3 turreted castle (Exeter town mark), Brittania (very worn), lions head erased (used in Exeter between 1701 and 1720 to denote Britannia silver, which is higher grade than Sterling), and date letter O in shield for 1714. The makers mark appears to be MA co-joined, but could also be read the other way around (?W). We now believe this to be the mark of John Manley I of Dartmouth, who entered his mark in Exeter in 1705 (See mark 86, West Country Spoons and t...
An antique Essex crystal brooch, set in an attractive 18 carat gold setting with rope border. The brooch contains the burgee (yacht club pennant) of the Royal London Yacht Club, with the London crest under a crown. The brooch is of extremely good quality, and is in immaculate condition. The crystal is convex, polished into a cabochon, the image itself is carved and hand painted, and the viewer is given a 3 dimensional view. The Royal London Yacht Club was founded in 1838, and is now based in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
The hallmarks are very clear, and include the crown and "18" indicating 18 carat gold, Chester wheatsheaf town mark, date letter gothic "S" for 1881, and makers mark R.N. for Richard Nevill, who was a manufacturing jeweller based in Birmingham (Chester Gold and Silver Marks, Ridgway and Priestley, pg 360), they worked between 1880 and 1917. The rim has additional 18 ct hallmarks, and the gold pin is also hallmarked.
An interesting collection of York silver teaspoons, with well struck and interesting York silver hallmarks. The oldest spoon is Old English pattern, the other 5 are Fiddle pattern. The spoons are as follows:
1. Old English, Robert Cattle & James Barber, 1809, Mark 16, Baggott, pg 89 (An Illustrated Guide to York Hallmarks 1776-1858)
2. Barber, Cattle & North, 1828, mark 21 Baggott, pg 89 - half moon journeymans mark, engraved "Kathleen".
3. Barber, Cattle & North, 1831, mark 23 Baggott, pg 90, engraved initials ED in script, contemporary.
4. Barber & North, 1835, mark 24 Baggott pg 90, defect to corner of punch.
5 & 6). Pair, Barber & North, 1844, mark 25 Baggott pg 90, defect to edge of punch.
As can be seen form the photographs, the marks are well struck and quite varied.
Robert Cattle, originally in partnership with George Cattle, John Hampston and John Prince, took James Barber into partnership in 1808. The partnership was dissolved in 1814. Robert Cattle was Lord Mayor in 1840, he died in 1842 (Mu...
A rare Exeter silver caddy spoon, made by Henry Samuel Ellis, who was only mentioned in the Exeter records in 1853, silver by him is rare (he died in 1878). The spoon has a vine leaf on the front of the handle, and a gilded fluted shell bowl. This is an unusual design, only used by Ellis in 1853 as far as we know (a few 1853 spoons by Ellis have this design, it is now called the HSE trademark leaf terminal - see www.antiquesilverspoons.co.uk and Bonhams - Knowle lot 121, 19/9/2006). The hallmarks are clear, the HSE makers mark is slightly worn at the top. Henry Samuel Ellis was Mayor of Exeter in 1868, his photograph is courtesy of www.exetermemories.co.uk. Henry Ellis and Son, advertised that their spoons were made with silver from the Combe Martin silver mine Story of the Caddy Spoon, 1775-2015, exhibition catalogue, page 35). Combe Martin is in North Devon, the disused silver mines are now a tourist attraction. Silver from Combe Martin was used for items in the crown jewels, it also financed war expenses o...
An Arts and Crafts silver sugar bowl with fitted lid, the lid has a foot and can also be used as a dish. It is a copy of an early Georgian design, circa 1735 (Miller's Silver and Plate Buyers Guide, pg 27). This is a lovely bowl, hand hammered in typical arts and crafts fashion leaving a planished finish, it is also very good quality and a pleasing weight. This would make an ideal Christening present. The Chester hallmarks are clear, the lid is also hallmarked.
An interesting 17th century style silver notched 2 pronged fork and matching spoon, the fork a replica of the earliest known English table fork. Both are faithful replicas of the puritan style, with 3 notches at the top of the flat stem. Both carry 2 family crests, the top a griffiths head and wings, the Montagu family crest, the second is a peacock in pride, the crest of John Manners, 8th Earl of Rutland of Haddon Hall, the owner of the original fork. This fork, made in 1632, is known as the Manners Fork, and is in the V&A museum in London. Frances Montagu was the wife of John Manners. The hallmarks are exceptionally well struck, they could not be better. They include makers mark "GOF Lo under star" for George Lowe & Son of Bridge Street, Chester, who date back to 1770 and who still trade today. They also include the Chester wheat sheaf town mark (struck in the spoon bowl as is usual for 17th century spoons), date letter and lion passant. The original box, marked "Lowe & Sons, Silversmiths, Bridge St Row, Ch...
A lovely set of 6 single struck Kings pattern with shoulders (Kings Front French Shoulder, Pickford, Silver Flatware, pg 123) Newcastle silver teaspoons. The spoons are the larger size teaspoons, and have a good gauge, over 20 grammes each, these are pleasing quality. Single struck flatware is usually found in Scotland, it is unusual in England, where the patterns were usually double struck (pattern on both sides) The hallmarks on all 6 teaspoons are excellent, and include makers mark TS for Thomas Sewell I, who worked between 1846 and 1875. They include an additional 5 hallmarks, uncrowned Victoria duty mark, lion passant, three castle town mark, leopards head uncrowned, and date letter I in circular punch for 1847. It is clear the date letter and makers mark were struck individually, the other 4 marks struck together in a stub (the date letter punch overlaps slightly on 2 spoons). These are interesting hallmarks, the uncrowned leopards head was only used for 5 years between 1846 and 1850, when it reverted b...