A boxed set of 6 silver enamel commemorative teaspoons, with enamel "Southern Rhodesia" with coat of arms, and cast bowls featuring "Rhodes Statue, Bulawayo". Cecil John Rhodes was a British empire builder, who obtained mineral rights in the territory later to bear his name in 1888. Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) was the name used for the British colony between 1901 and 1964. The spoons are in their original box, and were retailed by Birch & Gaydon, "Watchmakers to the Admiralty", of Fenchurch street, London. The hallmarks are clear on all spoons, although the makers mark (present but unidentified) is poorly struck and only partially visible.
A set of six silver teaspoons with enamel finials, 3 with a swimmer and 3 with a motorcyclist. The teaspoons have an attractive stem, and all 6 are fully hallmarked on the back of the bowl, and all are stamped "England". The enamels were hand painted, as the details on each differ slightly. We can only guess as to their origin, perhaps a special commission for a family involved in both sports.
A lovely golfing memorabilia teaspoon, with enamel finial of a lady golfer in early 20th century dress. The teaspoon shaft has an attractive design, and the hallmarks are clear. A.J. Bailey worked from the Everest works in Tenby Street.
A lovely blue and white enamel and silver buckle of very good quality, in a circular floral shape. The buckle has a separate silver loop for attachment, and 4 matching silver and enamel buttons, complete with fastening attachment. The buckle is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, the buttons are all stamped "Sterling", probably of continental origin. Levi and Salaman were known for their souvenir spoons and enamel novelties and jewellery.
A lovely silver and enamel fob, depicting a footballer in early 20th century dress. The fob would have been attached to a silver "Albert" or pocketwatch chain. The hallmarks are very clear.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
A lovely silver belt buckle, decorated with a mother of pearl flower with purple, white and orange colours, which change colour as it catches the light. The buckle is also engraved with leaves and flowers in bright cut fashion. The buckle has Birmingham hallmarks, with makers or retailers mark "FHA Ld" overstriking other marks, including the date letter. FH Adams used this mark between 1908 and 1915, they worked from New John Street. Given the style of decoration and lovely mother of pearl work, it is possible the buckle is continental in origin, and received Birmingham marks after import into Britian.
A pair of Russian silver and enamel teaspoons, with twisted stems and decorated enamel bowls and stems. These spoons are 88 grade silver as opposed to the commoner 84 grade, and were made in Moskow, as indicated by the delta (triangle) next to the Kokoshnik. The makers mark we believe to be that of Ivan Khlebnikov, an important maker who received the Imperial Warrant, and who specialised in enamel. The hallmarks are small but discernable. (Note: - as we are not experts in Russian silver, we cannot vouch for our identification).
A beautiful set of 6 art deco gilded sterling silver and enamel coffee spoons, with seal top finials. The gilding is a deep yellow colour, which provides a lovely contrast to the enamel. The back of the spoon bowls are beautifully decorated with fan shaped guilloche enamel, in 6 different bold colours (green, red, yellow, purple and light and dark blue). Guilloche enamel is a technique where a precise pattern is engraved on the silver base using a rose engine lathe, also called engine turning. The hallmarks on all 6 spoons are clear, including makers mark SLd for William Suckling Ltd, who worked between 1922 and 1955.
A rare silver and green enamel annular brooch designed by Alexander Ritchie, the famous Iona silversmith. The brooch has a Gaelic inscription "A h-uile latha sona dhuit", translated "May all your days be happy". These brooches are traditional wedding presents to celebrate a marriage. The Alexander Ritchie website (see our links page) shows 2 similar brooches, one in blue and the other in red enamel, both are described as rare, they do not show a green enamel example. Ritchie began to use the Birmingham assay office in 1931, and he had close links to the Birmingham firm of Darby & Sons, who made items for him. After Ritchie's death in 1941, some of his original moulds were used by Darby until the 1950's, this is one of these (see Ritchie website). The hallmarks are small but visible, the pin is also hallmarked.
A rare World War I 9 carat gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the South African Heavy Artillery, who served with distinction at Delville Wood. The badge consists of a springbok head above 2 crossed artillery guns, with "South African Heavy Artillery" below in gold letters with blue enamel (note slight loss to enamel between H AF and small chip before H in heavy). The brooch is cast, the quality is good, 2 different tones of gold have been used (yellow with red gold accents). The clasp connector and catch are also gold, but the pin is not. The hallmarks are clear, Birmingham 1917 with 9 and .375 marks for 9 carat gold, along with makers mark E.A.P&Co (not much is known about this firm, they worked in 1916 and 1917). The South African Heavy Artillery Brigade was part of the volunteer South African Overseas Expeditionary Force, who served during World War I between 1916 and 1918, in East Africa, Egypt, Palestine and the Western Front (Somme, Ypres, Passchendaele and Cambrai, notably Delville Wood).
An antique silver and enamel vesta case, with the coat of arms of Kirkwall, Orkney Islands. The vesta is rectangular with rounded corners, and has a safety suspension ring. The applied cast coat of arms has red, blue and yellow enamel, and features a three masted sailing ship with sails furled, above KIRKWALL and below motto "Si Deus Nobiscum", translated "If God be for us" from Romans 8:31. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark R.C. for Robert Chandler, who worked between 1902 and 1924. Kirkwall is the capital of the Scottish Orkney Islands, the original Kirk was the 11th century St Olaf's of Norway. Kirkwall is also the home of Highland Park whisky, so is on my list of places I would like to visit.
A nine carat gold fishing rod and reel brooch, with a cast silver and enamel rainbow trout jumping over the rod. The fish has lovely detail, and the colours are realistic, the enamel work perfect, with no damage. The rod is segmented, overall this is a lovely brooch. The rod is hallmarked 9CT for 9 carat gold in 2 places, and also makers mark A&W, the fish is stamped SILVER. The box is also good quality, leather and silk, and reads "Terry & Co, Goldsmiths & Silversmiths, Corner of Cross St & King St, Manchester. We have traced an advert of theirs to 1967.
A lovely antique silver and enamel vesta case, with a circular dog enamel, we guess a border collie (assistance welcome, thanks!). The vesta is quite small, rectangular in shape, and is engraved with scrolling foliage, it also has a silver suspension ring, which is also hallmarked. The hallmarks are small but clear, in the usual position on the rim of the vesta case.
A silver and enamel vesta case, with a circular enamel plaque depicting a smokers pipe and the words "Just one more". The case is rectangular, the interior and strike are gilded, so lovely quality inside. The vesta also has a suspension ring. The hallmarks are clear, the initials LA are engraved next to the hallmarks, we suspect an owners mark rather than makers mark.
Beautiful, reversible blue enamel pendant and choker, designed by Bjorn Sigurd Ostern for David Andersen. The pendant is reversible, and looks remarkably different when worn the different ways. It hangs very well, and is most striking when worn. The choker is original, and is also silver. Ostern was the chief designer for Andersen between 1961 and 1985. The pendant is clearly hallmarked, David-Andersen, Norway Sterling 925S, INV.B.S.O., and the choker is also hallmarked Andersen and 925S.
An Edwardian silver and enamel novelty vesta case, of circular form with hinged flip top lid and striker built into the base. The vesta has an applied enamel in silver rope border, featuring a pack of 8 English foxhounds, very attractively modelled with lovely colours. Vesta cases (also called matchsafes) were used to store vestas (early matches before safety matches were invested), they were very popular between 1890 and 1910.
A large size enamel silver engine turned cigarette case, depicting a scantily clad 1940's pin-up girl. The interior is gilt, and is engraved "Brian from Mamie 19th December 1950". Hallmarks are clear, including "Made in England", both sides are hallmarked, even the clasp has a .925 hallmark. W.T. Toghill & Co worked between 1927 and 1951.
Magnificent enamel silver cigarette case, depicting a Boston Terrier, (brindle with white muzzle) of very good quality. The detail of the enamel is extremely good. The box is engine turned, and has a gilt interior. Both sides of the box are hallmarked with clear marks. John Thompson & Sons, which was formed in the 1860's, still trades as a Jewellers at 20 Rosebury Ave, London.
A lovely enamel silver cigarette case with a bespectacled golfer swinging a wood, with flag visible behind him. The enamel is very good quality, well painted with lots of detail. The interior is gilt, and both sides of the box are hallmarked with clear marks. Blanckensee & Son was established in 1826, and by the turn of the century they had a large export trade and London showrooms. In the Jewellers exhibition of 1913, Blanckensee had "two of the prettiest windows in the exhibition", which included enamel cigarette cases (Culme, Directory of Silversmiths 1838 - 1914).