Regimental spoon with Feather edge pattern and gilt bowl by George Adams, the highly regarded Victorian spoonmaker. The spoon has an engraved Royal Crown finial with mounted cross, containing 2 Fleur de Lys. The crown is above an 8 pointed star, containing a crest (hunting horn below ICRV) and the motto "Salus Populi Suprema Lex", which translates as "The health of the people is the supreme law". ICRV stands for Inns of Court Rifle Volunteers, which was a regiment supplied by members of the legal profession belonging to the 4 Inns of London (Lincoln's, Gray's, Inner Temple, Middle Temple). The regiment, which was active in the 18th century, was reformed in 1860 as the 23 Middlesex (Inns of Court) Rifle Volunteer Corps at Lincoln's Inn. The crest sits above an engraved chalice. The spoon is an unusual size, being larger than a teaspoon but smaller than a dessert spoon. The hallmarks are very clear, and in addition to the usual marks also include an additional mark C, possibly a journeyman's mark.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
An interesting silver spoon, commemorating the 7th Battalion, The Duke of Cambridge Own Middlesex Regiment. The spoon has the regimental badge, a Roman soldier with shield and sword, surrounded by the motto "Pro Rege Patria et Laribus", translated "For King, Home and Country". A laurel wreath surrounds this, and the Royal crown sits on top. The spoon also carries the motto "South Africa 1900", signifying battle honours won during the Boer War, and "1798", which commemorates the Hampstead Volunteers of 1798, the founders of the Regiment. The regiment is known as the "Die Hards", a nickname earned during the Peninsula wars at Albuera in 1811. During the Boer War they were involved in the Relief of Ladysmith, and the attack on Spioenkop. The 7th Battalion were formed in 1907, it was a volunteer Battalion, and also a "special reserve" Battalion, whose duty was supplying drafts to the 4 front line Battalions in time of need. In 1911 (the year the spoon was made, so we assume it commemorates this event), the 7th be...
Beautiful pair of heavy egg spoons with Madras Artillery crest, in the Fiddle, Thread and Shell pattern. Very clear hallmarks. George Adams was the proprietor of Chawner and Co., the most important firm of silver spoon and fork manufacturers in Victorian England.
An interesting antique silver spoon, used as a prize in a rifle shooting competition in Natal (now Kwazulu Natal), South Africa. The stem has the cast inscription "For Making Central Bulls Eye", the back of the bowl has an applied plaque, the emblem of the Natal Rifle Association. It contains a seated Boer soldier on a horse, with the motto "Semper Parati" (Always Prepared), and the date 1862, we assume the date the association was formed. The horse and rider are well modelled, as can be seen in the photos. Semper Parati is now the motto of the Boy Scout movement, perhaps Baden Powell encountered it during his time in South Africa during the Boer war.
The spoon was made by the highly regarded Levi & Salaman, and has Birmingham hallmarks for 1905.
A set of 4 Continental (probably German or Dutch) silver teaspoons with realistically modeled Boer soldier finial, complete with beard, hat, bandolier and rifle. The spoons are 835 grade silver. The Boer finial rests on a plinth, above a 4 sided and twisted stem with traditional mask head above the join to the bowl. The spoons also have a short rat-tail. All 4 spoons are hallmarked "835" and makers mark "B2V".
A set of 6 silver and enamel teaspoons, with the badge of the Transvaal Scottish Regiment. The badge has a Scottish thistle surrounded by heraldic strap and buckle, over the "Star of the Order of the Thistle". The motto "Alba nam Buadh" (Well done, Scotland or Scotland, Home of the Virtues) is underneath the thistle. All 6 teaspoons are fully hallmarked. James Fenton worked from Great Hampton St, Birmingham between 1905 and 1954.
Lovely silver and enamel brooch celebrating the end of the First World War. A dove is carrying a Victory / Peace banner, enclosed in a laurel wreath.
An interesting solid silver napkin ring, awarded as 2nd prize in the Dewar Shield of 1939 by SANRA (South African National Rifle Association). The ring is rectangular in shape, with but with lobed sides, so a pleasing shape, it is quite heavy at 55 grammes, the quality is excellent. The napkin ring has applied crest of the South African National Rifle Association, a jumping springbok under crossed rifles, above a laurel wreath, with SANRA above and SANS below (Afrikaans equivalent). The ring is engraved "The Dewar Shield, 1939, 2nd Prize". The silver hallmarks are clear, including maker mark for Charles Green & Co, who worked between 1904 and 1986.
An antique sterling silver bowl or ash tray, set in the centre with a copper 1 penny Zuid Afrik. Republiek coin dated 1898. The bowl is engraved "Kruger Coinage", still clearly visible but worn from polishing. This penny was part of the first Kruger coinage, initiated in 1892 by President Paul Kruger. The bowl is dated 1900, which co-incides with the Anglo Boer War, we are not sure of the significance. The hallmarks are visible but slightly worn from polishing. The coin is in good condition, it has been protected by the raised silver rim.
A silver bowl bearing the crest of The Kings Royal Rifle Corps, complete with motto "Celer et Audax" (Swift and Bold). The bowl (or possibly ashtray, although we cannot imagine putting ash into such a lovely bowl) is well made, in Arts and Crafts style with hand hammered marks giving lovely texture. The crest is detailed, and has the initials EMV of the silversmith. The date 1914 is significant, being the start of the "Great War", now known as World War I, so was probably made to commemorate the departure of the Corps to the Western Front. The Corps, known today as the "Green Jackets", was expanded to 22 battalions during the war. As riflemen, they were in the thick of trench warfare, and earned 8 Victoria Crosses, but paid the price with the loss of 12824 men.
A Boer War teaspoon, with a very detailed Lee-Metford rifle as the shaft. The bowl is engraved "Souvenir of the Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1900". The rifle is very detailed, even the strap holes and buckle are visible.The butt of the rifle is engraved Lee-Metford, and the bayonet connects the bowl to the rifle. The hallmarks are very clear, as is the registration number "Rd No 349937". A similar spoon is illustrated in the book "Boer War Memorabilia" by Pieter Oosthuizen, figure 8 on page 119. The Lee-Metford rifle was soon replaced by the Lee-Enfield, which had the advantage of smokeless powder.
An interesting antique silver spoon, used as a prize in a rifle shooting competition in Natal (now Kwazulu Natal), South Africa. The stem has the cast inscription "For Making The Possible", the back of the bowl has an applied plaque, the emblem of the Natal Rifle Association. It contains a seated Boer soldier on a horse, with the motto "Semper Parati" (Always Prepared), and the date 1862, we assume the date the association was formed. The horse and rider are well modelled, as can be seen in the photos. Semper Parati is now the motto of the Boy Scout movement, perhaps Baden Powell encountered it during his time in South Africa during the Boer war.
The spoon was made by the highly regarded Levi & Salaman, and has Birmingham hallmarks for 1904. We had a similar spoon, S 1563, now sold, with the same NRA plaque, but motto "For making the Bulls Eye".
A lovely Hanau silver commemorative spoon, with a cast bust of Frederick the Great, with lovely detail. The bust sits on a plaque with the words "Fridericus Borussorum Rex 1740-1786", translated "Frederick King of Prussia". The stem of the spoon is decorative, with dolphins, a crown and a twisted design. The spoon bowl is also decorated with flowers and scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark "n" (Scheffler 489) for Neresheimer, and stylised bunch of grapes (image 1, 3rd hallmark under Neresheimer on www.925-1000.com). The Neresheimer n is also called the "Nuremberg n" (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths). They also include importers mark B.M (struck twice) for Berthold Muller, who for many years was the sole British agent for Neresheimer (Culme). Berthold Muller and Son traded between 1892 and 1915, when Muller changed his name to Miller (we assume as a result of anti-German feeling in London during the First World War). The 2 B.M marks were struck by different punches, the larger one B...
Unusual spring loaded silver patented bookmark with textured pattern, in full working order. Both arms are hallmarked and stamped "Made in England", in addition to full hallmarks on body. Patent number 257529. Suitable for hard cover books. We think this would have made an excellent gift for a returning serviceman. The rectangular piece slides onto the front cover of a hard cover book, the spring arm reserves the page. The bookmark stays in place when closed and when you are reading.
A 9 carat gold and enamel RAF (Royal Air Force) sweetheart brooch, beautifully preserved in its original box. The pin and box are both very good quality, the pin has lovely detail. The pin is stamped ? CT gold, the number is obscured, we assume it is 9 carat. The gold in the RAF lettering has a red colour, which contrasts nicely against the yellow gold wings and red and green enamel. The retailer was "T&J Perry Ltd, Jewellers & Silversmiths, 124 Regent St W".
A Boer War silver belt buckle, with pith helmet above 2 crossed rifles with bayonets attached, surrounded by a wreath with the British national flowers (rose, thistle, shamrock and leek). The engraving is quite attractive. Unfortunately we have not been able to identify the regiment, we have seen nurse's buckles similar to this, but feel the presence of rifles makes a nursing attribution unlikely.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
A Boer War "sweetheart brooch" in 15 carat gold, so we assume the sweetheart was an officer. The brooch carries the badge of an Infantry Regiment, the 19th (County of London) Battalion, St Pancras. It is engraved "South Africa, 1899 - 1902". The gold has a reddish colour, whcih contrasts well with the red and blue enamel. It is lovely quality, even the clasp and pin are in 15 ct gold. Both the brooch and pin are stamped "15ct", these are the only hallmarks. 15 ct gold was only used in Britian between 1854 and 1932, when the 15 ct and 12 ct standards were replaced by 14 carat.
A Cape Colony National Rifle Association silver shooting trophy, the Inter Colonial Grand Challenge Shield. The shield is mounted on its original wooden stand, with brass hinge, it also has an additional silver plaque on the back that is engraved "The Grand Challenge Shield 1945". The shield has lovely detail, 6 flags divided by Kings crown, above a ribbon that reads "CAPE COLONY NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION". Below that, the Cape Colony coat of arms with female herald supporters, blowing trumpets. To the right and left Zulu shields and spears above crossed rifles, all above a shooting range scene, with seated adjudicator and spectator with binoculars, surrounded by laurel wreath. The base has a cartouche which reads "INTER COLONIAL GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD". This shield is also found in white metal and copper, this is a sterling silver version, with a full set of clear hallmarks. It is listed in Laidlaw (Commemorative Medals of South Africa, 1017), it was first produced by Mappin & Webb between 1902 and 1910. Ev...