Aide memoire with 2 pierced silver covers, with a rose amongst scrolling foliage, and rope border. The silver protects 2 tortoiseshell covers, which in turn cover the ivory pages. Both silver covers are fully hallmarked, as is the clasp. The original owners shopping list is still visible in pencil. This miniature notebook would have hung from a chatelaine. Oldridge was the sole partner of Grey and Co of Great Portland Street. The firm was noted for its novelties, and supplied many leading retailers, including Asprey & Co.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
An antique silver and gold fob medallion, still in original box, marked "Fattorini & Sons, Goldsmiths, Bradford". The gold plaque is engraved "1904 E.P.R.F.U. Cup", we imagine Eastern Province Rugby Football Union (of South Africa). The back is engraved "Olympic F.C. (football club), 2nd Team, G. Brown". The hallmarks are excellent, this is also stamped "Fattorini Bradford".
Fattorini & Sons was a jewellery business established by Italian immigrants, they specialised in sports trophies and medals. They made both the FA Cup and the Rugby League Challenge Cup, both still in use today.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A silver thimble, size 11, with an unusual and attractive "pierced skirt" or "garland of flowers", the garlands decorated with tiny flowers, with leaves suspended between the garlands. The hallmarks are clear, but have some wear. The makers mark CH is very clear. The hallmarks are accompanied by size mark "11".
Charles Horner invented the "Dorcas" thimble in the 1880's, the business became famous for thimbles, hatpins and enamels. It was located in Halifax, Yorkshire, as a consequence most Horner silver is hallmarked in Chester. We have been informed that this border is called Vandyke.
A collectable antique silver fob medallion depicting a footballer kicking a ball, and engraved "C.R.F.U., Second Team, 1905". The footballer has a beaded border, set on medallion shaped fob with flying scrolls. The hallmarks are clear. CRFU today stands for "Cornwall Rugby Football Union", but given the round ball we feel this was more likely a football rather than rugby club. Charles Winter worked between 1904 and 1911, first at Soho Metal Works and later at Soho Scientific Instrument Co. (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths).
Delightful silver handled (hook is steel) boot button hook, shaped as a leopard's head, of exceptional quality. The cast leopard's head has fine detail, including the 4 teeth and tongue. Buttonhooks were an essential Victorian accessory, used for buttons on boots and tight fitting clothing. The only hallmark present is an English Lion passant, which is worn, but still visible.
A delightful silver whistle in full working order, it emits a piercing and loud whistle (which certainly attracted attention when we tested it!). The whistle is engraved with scrolling foliage, and has a ring and link to allow it to be suspended from a chain or chatelaine. The hallmarks are very clear. This would make a lovely and functional pendant on a silver necklace. William John Hutchinson worked between 1900 and 1929.
Realistically modelled cast silver shell, with 4 shell spikes used as feet. It has lovely detail, and is very good quality. The only hallmark present is 800. having never seen one of these before, we are not sure of its origin or use, perhaps it is a salt.
A well modelled silver equestrian medal, showing a horse rider with hounds on the front, and 3 horses in a field with a tree on the rear. It reads "Hunters Improvement and National, Light Horse Breeding Society, 1932". The medallion was modelled by Frank Hyams Ld, as indicated by his signature.
A Southern Transvaal Football Association sterling silver medallion, we assume a football trophy. The medallion features the coat of arms of the original South African Republic (Transvaal), used from 1866. It features a lion, Boer soldier complete with rifle and bandolier, oxwagon symbolising the "Great Trek", with a fouled anchor in the centre. The medallion has not been engraved. The hallmarks include makers mark RMP (Royal Mint Pretoria) and 925 indicating sterling standard. The medallion is in its original box, with RMP on the lid. The medallion has a loop, so can be worn as a pendant.
An original antique silver Wembley badge, depicting the Wembley lion in silver set in tortoiseshell, with silver rim. Wembley, "The home of Legends", is amongst the most famous football stadiums in the world. This badge would have been made to commemorate the opening of Wembley by King George V in 1924. The Wembley lion, designed by Herrick in Egyptian style, was the symbol of the British Empire Exhibition of 1924 - the "Lion of Industry". Collett & Anderson were known for producing silver and tortoiseshell badges and brooches. The hallmarks are clear.
A set of 4 Continental (probably German or Dutch) silver teaspoons with realistically modeled Boer soldier finial, complete with beard, hat, bandolier and rifle. The spoons are 835 grade silver. The Boer finial rests on a plinth, above a 4 sided and twisted stem with traditional mask head above the join to the bowl. The spoons also have a short rat-tail. All 4 spoons are hallmarked "835" and makers mark "B2V".
A Scottish silver clan badge, which can be worn as a pendant or as a brooch or kilt sash pin. The badge comprises a "Lions Head Effrontee" (looking forward) with the motto "I Bear in Mind". This is the crest and motto of the Campbell clan of Barbreck. The Campbells are one of the most powerful clans of Scotland, descendants of King Robert Bruce. The Campbells of Barbreck are from the Argyll district. The badge is very good quality, the lion is cast and has lovely detail, it stands out from the badge. It is a pleasing weight, and hangs well from a chain. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark RWF. The badge also has a silver plaque which reads " R.W. Forsyth Ltd, Edinburgh & Glasgow". R.W. Forsyth was a leading Scottish department store from 1897 until the 1980's.
A pair of antique sterling silver shoe buckles, made in Birmingham in 1912. The buckles are rectangular with canted corners, with a supporting centre strut for attachment to a shoe. Both buckles are clearly hallmarked, one makers mark has been over-stamped by the Levi & Salaman makers mark, so they were probably the retailers. Shoe buckles were fashion accessories for both men and women from the mid 17th century for the next few hundred years.
A rare Scottish provincial teaspoon from Dumfries, in the Old English pattern. The hallmarks include a fowled anchor, X, crown and MH (small) makers mark. The hallmarks have some wear but are still clearly visible, makers mark is very clear.
A sterling silver fob medallion depicting a footballer (soccer player) kicking a ball. The detail is good, and the surrounding design of laurel wreath, triangles and crown is interesting. The hallmarks are clear. The connecting ring is also hallmarked. James Fenton worked from Great Hampton Street between 1856 and 1954. Fob medallions would have been attached to a gentlemen's "Albert" (watch chain), the now make attractive necklace pendants.
A set of six silver teaspoons with enamel finials, 3 with a swimmer and 3 with a motorcyclist. The teaspoons have an attractive stem, and all 6 are fully hallmarked on the back of the bowl, and all are stamped "England". The enamels were hand painted, as the details on each differ slightly. We can only guess as to their origin, perhaps a special commission for a family involved in both sports.
Lovely silver and enamel brooch celebrating the end of the First World War. A dove is carrying a Victory / Peace banner, enclosed in a laurel wreath.
A silver figure depicting "The Trusty Servant" of Winchester College, one of the oldest and most prestigious of English public schools. The figure is well engraved, with lovely detail. A picture of the Trusty Servant hangs in the kitchen of Winchester College. The figure is dressed in Windsor uniform and wig, and has a pigs head, donkey ears, padlocked jaw, deers feet, sword and collection of household implements. These refer to "desirable attributes of a servant", padlocked jaw (to keep secrets), stags feet (swift errands), household implements (to work hard) and sword (to protect master). We are not sure what the figure was intended for (it has no stand or attachments), but is probably intended as a bookmark, or could be added to a trophy or adapted as menu holder.