An interesting set of 4 Roman reproduction Scottish silver miniature wine cups, perfectly preserved in original box. The wine cups have a circular spherical bowl, attached to a large flat circular base with a rim, by a baluster stem. They are quite heavy and well made, the quality is excellent. The original box reads "Brook & Son, Goldsmiths to the King, 87 George Street, Edinburgh". The hallmarks are very clear on all 4 wine cups, makers mark "BROOK & SON EDINBURGH", Scottish thistle, Edinburgh castle and date letter W. Brook and Son were the leading Scottish silversmiths in the early 20th century, they operated between 1891 and 1939 from 87 George Street (Hamilton and Inches today). These wine cups are reproductions of Roman cups that were part of the Traprain Law treasure hoard, which was discovered by George Pringle at Traprain Law, East Lothian, in 1919. The hoard dates from 400 AD, and consisted of 160 pieces, mostly cut up ready for melting. William Brook was the silversmith involved in conserving and...
A delightful sterling silver Christening plate, the rim decorated with the "Three Bears" of Goldilocks fame walking past engraved trees. The plate is fabulous quality, very heavy, the bears (4 sets of 3) are cast and applied, the detail is lovely. The plate is engraved "Mappin & Webb Ltd, London & Sheffield", and all the hallmarks are excellent. Mappin and Webb was founded in 1859, it still exists today and is one of Britain's most prestigious brands. In addition to Royal Warrants, Mappin and Webb are the Crown Jeweller. The was produced just after the end of World War II, silver was very cheap, items from this period are often heavy and superb quality. One of the nicest Christening present a baby could hope to receive. Note - we have 2 matching items, a mug and bowl, S 1982 and S1983.
A collection of 18 vintage Stocknagel, or hiking staff medallions, (also called walking stick badges), bought by hikers to commemorate a particular hike, and attached to their walking stick. Each medallion is stamped metal (not silver), with 2 holes for pin attachment, with lovely detail as can be seen on the photographs. The medallions include:
1. Dresden Neues Rathaus
2. Am Walchensee
3. Carl Hagenbucks Tierpark, Altona Stellingen, Haupteinsgang
5. Garmisch Partenkirchen
6. Mittenwold Viererspitse
7. Zum Besten Des Deutchen Marine Ehrenmals Kiel Laboe
8. St Johann Saarbruchen Kaiser Wilhelm Denkmaal
9. Dinkelsbuhl V Ost
10. Heidelberg C Weiss
11. Eibsee Mit Zugspitze
13. Feldberg Schwarzw 1500m UDM
14. Partenkurchen 722m Gegen die Zugspitze 2964m
15. Seilschwebebahn Zum Kreuzeck 1652m
16. Urfeld Am Walchenzee
17. Richard Wagner Bayreuth Festspilhaus
18. Nurnberg Eppelein Spring.
An antique Dutch silver gilt vinaigrette (zilveren lodereindoosje) in the form of an armoire (kabinet). These have also been described as pomanders, scent boxes, and also incorrectly described as snuff boxes and peppermint boxes. The box has a curved shaped front, and the back panel has the impressed words "HE. DAT IS LIEF", translated He that is love", so probably presented as a love token. The armoire has frontal doors with floral decoration, and 3 drawers below, the back and side panels also have floral decoration. The lid is decorated with an angel reaching up to pluck fruit, with trees in the background, the figure is quite crude, almost as if drawn by a young child. The base is engraved with original owners initials HDV. The hallmarks include Lion Passant 2nd Purity for 833 grade silver (inside main box), and the rim has makers mark AM over 3 dots in rectangular punch (or WV below 3 dots), we have not been able to identify this maker, all assistance welcome. The rim also has Minerva head duty mark (off...
A rare antique sterling silver 1/3 gill tot measure, in the traditional shape of a tankard. The tankard is baluster in shape, the handle just large enough for a finger. The tankard rim is raised, we assume the base indicates the measure point. The base has a design number 74642, the London hallmarks on the side are very clear. The tankard measures 42 millilitres, so a generous double tot, this is 1/3 of a gill using the traditional measures. Tot measures such as this are commonly found in brass, copper, pewter and other base metals, occasionally found in silver plate, solid silver versions such as this one are rare. The gill measure dates back to the 14 Century in Great Britain, 1 gill is a quarter of a pint, 1/6 gill was the traditional single shot whisky measure. Horace Woodward & Co operated between 1875 and 1916.
A rare Georgian silver novelty articulated fish vinaigrette, made by William Lea & Co in Birmingham, 1817. The fish has 6 separate articulated sections, and a hinged lid (fish head) that opens to reveal an oval gilded vinaigrette, with scrolling grille which opens to reveal the gilded sponge compartment. The open mouth contains a suspensory silver ring, to allow the vinaigrette to be attached via a chain. The vinaigrette is beautifully engraved, with scales, fins and eyes, the tail and top fin are also realistically engraved. The hallmarks on the tail are very clear, the grille is also hallmarked. William Lea & Co worked between 1811 and 1825, they focused on small novelty items. A number of these fish vinaigrettes by Lea and Co are known, featuring 2 different engraving styles. An almost identical vinaigrette, also made by Lea & Co in 1817, is featured on the Bourdan Smith website (www.bourdansmith.co.uk), incorrectly described as reticulated, has very similar engraving to this one. Another example, made a y...
A Redhill & District Football League silver, gold and enamel fob medallion for the year 1925. The medallion has a central gold panel with 3 footballers and football, with goals in the background, marked with registration number 401749, so this design was protected. This is surrounded with a blue enamel ring with the writing, and decorative silver scrolls and suspension ring surrounding. The original suspension ring is also hallmarked, this is ideal for wear as a pendant. The hallmarks are very clear. The Redhill and District Football League still exists, is a regional English football league formed in 1897. It comprises teams from Surrey, Kent, Greater London and Sussex. It currently has four divisions, the highest of which, the Premier Division, is situated at the 14th level of the English football league system source Wikipedia). I am sure we can be confident that they no longer award such beautiful medallions!
A pair of Victorian silver grape scissors, with attractive handle design of symmetrical scrolls and loops. The set is very finely engraved (on the front side only) with a foliage pattern, very intricate, in typical Victorian fashion. The blades are the traditional grape scissor design, with one blade thicker with right angle to accommodate the other blade. The hinge has a silver cover, also engraved, the pin is silver as well. The hallmarks are clear but hidden by the engraving, both arms are hallmarked, including makers mark A&S for Aston and Son of Regent place, Birmingham, Thomas and William Aston ran the business between 1856 and 1861. Henry Aston (we assume another son) took over the business in 1862, it was still operating in 1930 as wedding ring manufacturers (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths, page 18).
An antique Dutch silver lodereindoosje, made in Amsterdam in 1809. The english translation would be vinaigrette, pomander of scent box. The box is in the form of an armoire (kabinet) in traditional shape, with domed lid and shaped doors, decorated with swags and urns, with drawers in the base. The sides and lid are decorated with traditional Dutch scenes, the lid a man with angel alongside tree and horse, the back with a couple in horse drawn cart, and the sides with women churning butter and carrying milk. The base has original owners engraved initials P.V.I., nicely engraved. The hallmarks on the base are clear, and include date letter b for 1809, Amsterdam town mark of 3 crosses without crown (only used between 1807 and 1812 during Kingdom of Holland period). The 3rd mark is 10, the 10 penningen silver standard mark (833/1000), see "Netherlands Responsibility Marks from 1797" page 37, and the 4th mark is makers mark of a heart under device, this mark is slightly worn. This is the mark of Dirk Goedhart, so ...
A 20th Lancers Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Enamel sweetheart brooch. The brooch features the traditional crossed lances with flying pennons, with Royal crown above, LANCERS scroll below and XX in the centre, denoting the regiment as 20th Lancers. The brooch is 15 carat gold, the 2 X's are platinum set with 18 diamonds, all are present. The crown has red enamel, the pennons red and white enamel, and LANCERS blue enamel, all enamel is perfect. The brooch is hallmarked "15 ct & PT.", indicating 15 carat gold and platinum, which was often used in English jewellery from circa 1890 until 1932. Platinum use in jewellery became popular in Edwardian times, 15 carat gold was used between 1854 and 1932, when it was replaced by 14 carat gold. The 20th Lancers was a regiment of the British Indian Army, which saw service between 1921 and 1937. Today both India and Pakistan have a 20th Lancers regiment. This brooch is accompanied by a valuation certificate from Gemlab confirming authenticity of diamonds and that the brooch ...
A fabulous Victorian silver prize medallion, one of the finest we have encountered. The medallion is oval, surrounded by a cast rim of flowers. A silver suspension loop is attached to an ornate scroll. This medallion is large and heavy, the quality is exceptional. Both oval plaques are engraved, the first reads "TAIN ROYAL ACADEMY AWARDED TO G.ERNEST ROSS FOR EXCELLENCE IN CLASSICS", the second reads "PRESENTED BY D. FOWLER ESQ. PROVOST OF TAIN JULY 1899". The hallmarks are small but clear, very well struck. Donald Fowler was Provost (the Scottish equivalent of Mayor) of Tain between 1898 and 1910, he was a chemist by profession.
An interesting German silver coin dish, with a German 3 Mark silver coin set in the centre of the circular dish. The coin is a special issue by the city of Hamburg, the front has the Hamburg city armorial (3 turreted castle supported by lions, it has lovely detail), and city motto "FREIE UND HANSESTADT HAMBURG", the obverse has German eagle and "DEUTSCHES REICH 1911 DREI MARK". The bowl is also engraved "UBERSEE-KAFFEE, Hamburg", Ubersee Kaffee (translated Overseas Coffee) was a large German coffee business focussed on the export market, we assume this was a corporate gift. Given the size of their building it must have been a substantial business (see photo). The hallmarks are clear, the German silver half moon and crown used after 1888, 835 standard mark, and a script makers mark von Hafen, for Juwelier von Hafen, a Hamburg Jeweller established in 1902, they still exist today, specializing in jewelry with a nautical theme.
An Edwardian silver and enamel novelty vesta case, of circular form with hinged flip top lid and striker built into the base. The vesta has an applied enamel in silver rope border, featuring a pack of 8 English foxhounds, very attractively modelled with lovely colours. Vesta cases (also called matchsafes) were used to store vestas (early matches before safety matches were invested), they were very popular between 1890 and 1910.
A pair of antique sterling silver shoe buckles, made in Birmingham in 1912. The buckles are rectangular with canted corners, with a supporting centre strut for attachment to a shoe. Both buckles are clearly hallmarked, one makers mark has been over-stamped by the Levi & Salaman makers mark, so they were probably the retailers. Shoe buckles were fashion accessories for both men and women from the mid 17th century for the next few hundred years.
An antique Dutch silver gilt vinaigrette (zilveren lodereindoosje) in the form of an armoire (kabinet). These have also been described as pomanders, scent boxes, and also incorrectly described as snuff boxes and peppermint boxes. The box has a curved shaped front, and the back panel has the impressed words "HE. DAT IS LIEF", translated He that is love", so probably presented as a love token. The armoire has frontal doors with floral decoration, and 3 drawers below, the back and side panels also have floral decoration. The lid has an oval panel with seated figure of justice holding sword and scales, surrounded by a wreath. The base is engraved with original owners initials T:V:V, the base also has a clear makers mark of AK under flower (Adrianus Kuijlenburg of Schoonhoven, 1812 -1816, see Nederlands Responsibility Marks since 1797 no 897). The lid has a Minerva head office mark (duty mark), and the box interior rim has the Lion Passant 2nd purity for 833 grade silver and date letter G for 1816. Loderein comes...
An Edwardian silver pocket stamp case, with a spring loaded interior for holding stamps in place. The case is rectangular, with an engine turned design with vacant circular cartouche for initials or family crest, and ring attachment for attachment to an Albert chain. The interior is gilded, the stamp compartment is also engine turned. The case, lid and stamp compartment are all hallmarked. Saunders & Shepherd are a well known firm, first established in 1869 by Cornelius Saunders and Frank Shepherd.
A lovely sterling silver medallion, commemorating the 100 year anniversary of Stellenbosch University in 1966. This is a high quality medallion, with beautiful stylised engraving. The front depicts the "Ou Hoofgebou" (Old Main Building), the oldest building on campus, built in 1886, in Cape classical style, with collonaded veranda and ornamental balcony. This is surrounded with "HOER ONDERWYS OP STELLENBOSCH 1866-1966", translated Higher Education at Stellenbosch. The back has the Stellenbosch University Coat of Arms under "UNIVERSITEIT VAN STELLENBOSCH", this was adopted in 1918, described as "Quarterly: I and IV: Or, three towers gules 2 and 1; II: Azure, the head of the Roman goddess Minerva wearing a winged helmet, argent; III: Azure, three oak twigs each with two leaves below and an acorn above, argent, 2 and 1; Upon an inescutcheon sable, an open book proper, with a red initial letter S in upper dexter, and with two seals, one red and one blue, pendant from the book (source www.andrewcusack.com). The 3 ...
A Swiss 800 silver scalloped silver bowl, with an inserted Canton Bern 5 Batzen coin dated 1810. The bowl is planished (hand hammered in Arts and Crafts style), and has 6 segments. The bowl has a pleasing weight and is good quality, we believe hand-made. The coin reads "DOMINUS PROVIDEBIT", translated "The Lord will provide". The bowl is hallmarked 800 (800 grade silver), and a shaped shield with V and 3 circles for the prestigious Jezler of Schaffhausen, established in 1822 and a leading Swiss silver and jewellery brand today.
A Cape Colony National Rifle Association silver shooting trophy, the Inter Colonial Grand Challenge Shield. The shield is mounted on its original wooden stand, with brass hinge, it also has an additional silver plaque on the back that is engraved "The Grand Challenge Shield 1945". The shield has lovely detail, 6 flags divided by Kings crown, above a ribbon that reads "CAPE COLONY NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION". Below that, the Cape Colony coat of arms with female herald supporters, blowing trumpets. To the right and left Zulu shields and spears above crossed rifles, all above a shooting range scene, with seated adjudicator and spectator with binoculars, surrounded by laurel wreath. The base has a cartouche which reads "INTER COLONIAL GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD". This shield is also found in white metal and copper, this is a sterling silver version, with a full set of clear hallmarks. It is listed in Laidlaw (Commemorative Medals of South Africa, 1017), it was first produced by Mappin & Webb between 1902 and 1910. Ev...
A fabulous pair of cast silver mustard pots, realistically modelled as dragons, with the head resting on the lid, and coiled body forming the pot, with barbed tail forming the handle. The back of the dragon's head acts as a thumb piece, the hinged lids open to reveal clear glass liners for holding the mustard (or other condiments). These are substantial items, they weigh over 350 grammes each without the liners, the quality is superb. The bodies were cast in 2 separate sections, the solder join is visible on the interior. The hallmarks are excellent on both pieces, the lids are hallmarked as well. We have not encountered this model before, it is possible they were specially commissioned and as such are unique. C.J. Vander was established in 1886 by Cornelius Joshua VanderPump, the firm became "the last of England's preeminent silver firms, creating exceptional silver masterpieces using the time-honored traditions of the silversmith's art. It was this firm's steadfast commitment to quality that made them the ...