A Clan MacGregor (or Gregor) Scottish sterling silver clan badge, with pin to be worn as a brooch or kilt pin. The badge is the traditonal shape, with cast silver crowned lion erased, surrounded by belt with motto "'S RIOCHAIL MO DHREAM", translated "Royal is my Race". The badge is lovely quality and is in excellent condition. The badge is clearly hallmarked for Edinburgh 1950, with makers mark H&I for Hamilton & Inches, the leading Edinburgh silversmith from Princes Street, they worked between 1870 and 1977. The current MacGregor clan chief is Sir Malcolm Macgregor, 7th Baronet of Lanrick and Balquhidder. The clan dates back to the early 800's, they were amongst the first clans to play bagpipes, and their most famous member was the outlaw and folk hero Rob Roy MacGregor.
An interesting Scottish silver baby dish, engraved around the rim with 4 ancient scenes, possibly Mesopotamia, we are not sure of the significance. The dish is extremely good quality, it weighs over 300 grammes, and the engraving is lovely. The 4 panels are interspersed with 2 ladies heads, complete with earings, and 2 cartouches for engraved initials. The engraving contains armed soldiers with swords, shields, spears and bow and arrows, animals (some pulling carts and carriages), palm trees and a winged beast, hence our tentative description as Mesopotamian (all suggestions and assistance most welcome). As the engraving is on what we believe to be a baby dish (solid base, size etc), we believe it to be a Christening present, with the engraving from a fable or historically significant event (similar dishes of the period are engraved with nursery rhymes). The hallmarks are excellent, including Glasgow marks for 1931 and makers mark E&S for Edward and Sons, of Buchanan Street, Glasgow, they also had a London br...
A Scottish Provincial silver kilt pin brooch, made by John Fraser of Inverness, but hallmarked in Edinburgh as required by regulations. The kilt pin has a classic celtic design, and is a pleasing quality, and a good size and weight. The pin and clasp are also good quality, and in perfect working order. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark JF incuse for John Fraser of Silvercraft, Inverness, who worked between 1965 and 1982.
A set of six Victorian Scottish silver spoons, with matching tongs, in a Grecian pattern variant, not present in the book Silver Flatware by Ian Pickford, so we believe to be rare. The spoons can best be described as very large teaspoons, but definitely more suitable for eating dessert. The spoons and tongs have original owners engraved initials CS in fancy script. The pattern is very similar to Grecian, but noticeable differences include a shell at the top of the stem, and small beads as a border of the stem. The pattern is single struck, as is usual for Scottish flatware. Grecian pattern is a mid 19th century pattern, first exhibited by George Adams of Chawner & Co. at the Great Exhibition of 1851, the pattern is also present in the Chawner pattern book (pages 144, 145 and 218 of Pickford book above). The hallmarks are excellent on all 7 items, they could not be clearer, and include the Glasgow town mark with tree and fish. Robert Scott worked from Buchanan Street, Glasgow between 1849 and 1927. We really l...
A fabulous Victorian Scottish silver Rams Head snuff mull cover, decorated with an impressive faceted semi precious stone and 6 hardstone cabochons. The cover is dome shaped with a circular base, and is embossed and engraved with Scottish thistles and Celtic knot designs. The central diamond shaped crystal has a diameter of 3.7 cm, this is a large stone. The six hardstone cabochons are 2.2 cm in diameter, colours range from green to red to brown, we imagine Scottish granite. The interior is gilded, and the hallmarks are perfectly preserved. This is the largest and most impressive Rams head snuff mull cover we have seen, we have seen similar smaller examples. The cover would have been mounted on a ceremonial Rams head, used to dispense snuff at a table - we prefer this cover without the original rams head! Mackay & Chisholm were a prestigious Scottish firm, the worked between 1834 and 1941 from Princes Street, Edinburgh.
A fine set of 12 Victorian Scottish silver table forks, in the plain Old English pattern, these forks have a very good weight and feel in the hand. The forks are engraved with the original owners initial A with a typical Victorian flourish. The forks are in excellent condition, with long tines, these forks have not seen much use. All 12 forks have excellent hallmarks that are well struck and very clear, event Queen Victoria's hair is visible in the duty mark. The town mark also has clearly defined bird, bell and fish in the tree, the coat of arms of Glasgow. Robert Gray and Sons of Glasgow produced "some of the finest British silver of the period" (Walter Brown, Finial, June 2006).
An unusual set of Scottish Silver Hanoverian tablespoons, made in Victorian times. These spoons are lovely spoons, very good quality and weight, a pleasure to use. The spoons have a double drop, are bottom marked and have script initials "AW" engraved on the back of the spoons, in 18th century style. The spoons were probably made to order, as they are replicas of an earlier style. The hallmarks on all 4 spoons are excellent, including makers mark "G&MC" for George and Michael Crichton, who worked between 1864 and 1876.
A lovely set of early Scottish tablespoons, complete with a double drop, by John Welsh, who was entered in 1742, and who made the Liberta Communion cups. The makers mark and townmark are very clear on both spoons, the date mark and thistle are visible one one spoon (slight wear), and worn on the other.
Pleasing early Scottish bottom - marked spoon, with very clear hallmarks, and good weight.
Scottish Fiddle pattern table forks, appear unused, with tines in excellent condition. Very clear hallmarks.
Pleasant set of Scottish Fiddle pattern tablespoons, of very good weight and by a well known maker. Extremely clear hallmarks on all spoons.
A fine example of a Scottish Georgian Silver toddy ladle, by very fine makers. The ladle is Fiddle pattern, and is engraved with the initial C, in contempory style. Toddy ladles are uniquely Scottish, used for that "wee dram" of spirits, but also suitable as sauce ladles. The hallmarks are very clear and detailed (the tree, fish and bell in the Glasgow town mark are all visible), an additional "star" journeymans mark is also present. Robert Gray and Sons of Glasgow produced "some of the finest British silver of the period" (Walter Brown, Finial, June 2006). Silver by Gray can be found with both Glasgow and Edinburgh marks, as between 1784 and 1819 the Glasgow assay office was closed.
Fine pair of Fiddle pattern Scottish toddy ladles, with engraved initials WG. The makers mark is very clearly RC, possibly Robert Carfrae, who was an Edinburgh unfreeman in the early 1800's (Source Rod Dietert, who wrote Scottish Compendium) - this maker is not recorded in Jacksons. We had originally suggested Robert Clark, this is now proved incorrect as he joined the military and settled in North America circa 1800. Hallmarks very clear.
We have now been informed this mark belongs to Robert Chisholm, who worked alone from 1833-1835, when he formed the very successful partnership of Mackay & Chisholm (source Henry Fothringham, Historian to the Incorporation of Goldsmiths of the city of Edinburgh, website www.incorporationofgoldsmiths.co.uk).
A magnificent Scottish kilt sash brooch, used to hold the shoulder plaid in place. The brooch has cast thistles and celtic "buttons" surrounding a spectacular cairngorm (commonly known as citrine, also called black quartz or smoky quartz). The gemstone is very impressive, amongst the largest we have seen. It has been estimated at over 100 carats, and is a round brilliant cut.
The hallmarks are clear, with retailers mark J.S.McL (McLeod we assume) overstriking the makers mark. Scottish citrine is called cairngorm after its place of origin in the Scottish Highlands, and is the November birthstone, also the symbol of brightness, life and hope.
A Fiddle pattern Scottish silver toddy ladle, with a magnificent crest - a unicorn's head erased above a crown, with the motto "Virtute Acquiritur Honos", translated "Honour is acquired by Virtue". This is the motto of the Richardson family. The crown probably indicates the families membership of the peerage. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark AW in strangely indented punch. AW has been attributed to Alexander Wotherspoon (British silver makers marks website) but given the similarity of the punch to JW (John Williamson) there is a high probibility of a family relationship (father and son?), so the maker could be A Williamson.
An interesting Roman reproduction Scottish silver tea strainer, with a stylised dolphin handle. The bowl is circular, with holes in radiating circles, and has a substantial rim. The handle is lovely, the dolphin tail is cleverly curved, to allow it to loop over a finger whilst the thumb holds the tail in place. The dolphin has a large mouth, 3 fins around the head, and the body is decorated with dots. The strainer is very good quality, and is a pleasure to use. The hallmarks are very clear, makers mark B&S in serrated punch, Scottish thistle, Edinburgh castle and date letter U. An additional hallmark is present, a stylised "S" in a diamond punch. Brook and Son were the leading Scottish silversmiths in the early 20th century, they operated between 1891 and 1939 from 87 George Street (Hamilton and Inches today). This strainer is a reproduction of a Roman spoon that was part of the Traprain Law treasure hoard, which was discovered by George Pringle at Traprain Law, East Lothian, in 1919. The hoard dates from 40...
A Scottish silver clan badge, which can be worn as a pendant or as a brooch or kilt sash pin. The badge comprises a "Lions Head Effrontee" (looking forward) with the motto "I Bear in Mind". This is the crest and motto of the Campbell clan of Barbreck. The Campbells are one of the most powerful clans of Scotland, descendants of King Robert Bruce. The Campbells of Barbreck are from the Argyll district. The badge is very good quality, the lion is cast and has lovely detail, it stands out from the badge. It is a pleasing weight, and hangs well from a chain. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark RWF. The badge also has a silver plaque which reads " R.W. Forsyth Ltd, Edinburgh & Glasgow". R.W. Forsyth was a leading Scottish department store from 1897 until the 1980's.
A Scottish silver quaich of traditional shape, and medium in size. It is quite plain but very good quality, and a pleasing weight. The base is engraved "Brook & Son, 87 George St, Edinburgh", and the hallmarks, including makers mark B&S, are clear. The quaich is a traditional Scottish drinking vessel, the large sized ones were passed around at ceremonial occasions. They are popular christening presents in Scotland.
An interesting set of 4 Scottish silver dessert spoons in the Old English pattern, made by a highly regarded silversmith, Patrick Robertson. The spoons are bottom marked, and are engraved with a floral device. The hallmarks are excellent, including makers mark "PR" for Patrick Robertson, which is well struck. Robertson had a long and distinguished career, he worked between 1751 and 1790. He was born in 1729, and was apprenticed to Edward Lothian in 1743. He was Deacon in 1755 and 1765, and was a member of the Royal Company of Archers. He was related to the architect Robert Adam ("Silver Made in Scotland", Dalgleish and Fothringham).
A lovely Scottish silver cigar or cheroot case, with motto "Should auld acquaintance be forgot", and the Carstairs family crest and motto "Te Splendente", translated "Whilst thou art shining". The case is beautifully engraved with a spectacular interlocking architectural pattern interspersed with different flowers, this is one of the nicest we have seen. The case has a pleasing shape and feel, easy to slide into a pocket given its curved shape. The front of the case has "Should auld acquaintance be forgot" in the top panel, and Carstairs family crest and motto in the bottom, along with "DC to FC", we assume members of the Carstairs family. The Carstairs armorial has a chevron between 3 primroses, with sun darting its rays on a primrose above. The back has 2 circular panels, with finely engraved flowers, we assume a primrose. The hallmarks are clear, but cleverly hidden in the engraving. George Cunningham only worked between 1855 and 1858, but given the quality of this case must have been a master craftsman.