4 piece tea service comprising teapot, hot water jug, creamer and sugar, by the well known craftsman A.E. Jones. They are beautifully made, with spot hammered bodies and cast disc feet. A simple design of an embossed band with roses is present, as is the engraved initial R. All pieces are fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, including the lids and even the finial screwnut.
A handbeaten, three legged, Arts and Crafts sweet bowl, with leaf and paw feet. In addition to the hallmarks (which are clear) the bowl is stamped "Connell, 83 Cheapside". Connell's was a highly regarded firm which was situated at 83 Cheapside from 1845 until it went into voluntary liquidation in 1939, probably as a result of the outbreak of war. Connell's of Cheapside have been described as "pioneers of modern artistic silverware" (Pudney, Silver Society Journal 11), one of the few traditional London dealers that promoted the Arts and Crafts movement. Much of their silver was produced by WH Haseler, William Hutton & Sons and AE Jones.
Small Arts and Crafts basket, possibly Norwegian, with swing handle. The basket is spot hammered and has an attractive embossed 5 dome design. The base is stamped 830, and both the interior and the handle are hallmarked with a script V, the Dutch import mark (post 1906).
An antique sterling silver bowl or ash tray, set in the centre with a copper 1 penny Zuid Afrik. Republiek coin dated 1898. The bowl is engraved "Kruger Coinage", still clearly visible but worn from polishing. This penny was part of the first Kruger coinage, initiated in 1892 by President Paul Kruger. The bowl is dated 1900, which co-incides with the Anglo Boer War, we are not sure of the significance. The hallmarks are visible but slightly worn from polishing. The coin is in good condition, it has been protected by the raised silver rim.
A silver bowl bearing the crest of The Kings Royal Rifle Corps, complete with motto "Celer et Audax" (Swift and Bold). The bowl (or possibly ashtray, although we cannot imagine putting ash into such a lovely bowl) is well made, in Arts and Crafts style with hand hammered marks giving lovely texture. The crest is detailed, and has the initials EMV of the silversmith. The date 1914 is significant, being the start of the "Great War", now known as World War I, so was probably made to commemorate the departure of the Corps to the Western Front. The Corps, known today as the "Green Jackets", was expanded to 22 battalions during the war. As riflemen, they were in the thick of trench warfare, and earned 8 Victoria Crosses, but paid the price with the loss of 12824 men.
A circular silver bowl, with the crest of the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers, and the date 1937 engraved on it. The 2 lizards or salamanders are used in the crest of the Ironmongers as they could reputably survive fire. The Company of Ironmongers is one of the 12 great livery companies, 10th in order of precedence (The Goldsmiths are 5th). The bowl was made to commemorate the coronation of King George VI in 1937, and would probably have been distributed to it's freemen. The company is still active today, and its hall (destroyed during WW1) can be rented out for functions. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark C.E, who has not been identified, but who worked between 1924 and 1956 (www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk, on our links page).
Art Deco octagonal sweet dish with Ivory handles, with very clear hallmarks. This dish could also be used for teabags, and would fit very nicely with the Deco tea service (item S179).
A Victorian silver miniature replica of a porringer, probably intended as a toy. The porringer is typical 17th century style, with gadrooned and punched dot decoration, and scrolling handles. Daniel and John Wellby specialised in fine copies of early pieces (Pickford, Jackson's Hallmarks). The hallmarks are clear with the exception of the makers mark, which is partially worn but still identifiable.
A Tiffany silver bleeding bowl, with flat pierced handle, in the traditional style. This bowl is very good quality, as you would expect from Tiffany. Bleeding bowls (known as porringers in the USA) were used extensively in the 17th century, different themes abound as to their use. Today they are often used as wine tasters, which is probably what this bowl was intended for. The base is stamped "Tiffany & Co, Sterling, 383". They are also popular as Christening gifts.
An antique sterling silver napkin ring with an applied cast silver bulldog, very realistically modelled, and engraved "S.A. Bull Dog Club", for South African bulldog club. The napkin ring is circular, and is clearly hallmarked with makers mark M&W for Mappin & Webb, with Sheffield hallmarks for 1909. The South African Bulldog club was formed in May 1908 and still exists today, see their Facebook page. We assume this napkin ring was commissioned by the original members as prizes.
A pair of octagonal engine turned napkin rings, with applied armorial of the city of East London, South Africa. The armorials are lovely, with 4 colours of enamel, and good quality and gilded, we assume a metal, possibly silver, but no hallmarks are visible (possibly hidden on the back which is glued to the napkin rings. The rings are a pleasing shape, with 2 engine turned panels each, both are clearly hallmarked. The armorial depicts the cross of St George, as with the original London, with sheaves of wheat and sheep depicting agriculture, below a rising sun signifying the east. The shield rests on a gold anchor, as per the Cape Colony arms. This armorial was granted in 1892, it was replaced in 1959 by a more heraldically correct version.
A Cape Colony National Rifle Association silver shooting trophy, the Inter Colonial Grand Challenge Shield. The shield is mounted on its original wooden stand, with brass hinge, it also has an additional silver plaque on the back that is engraved "The Grand Challenge Shield 1945". The shield has lovely detail, 6 flags divided by Kings crown, above a ribbon that reads "CAPE COLONY NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION". Below that, the Cape Colony coat of arms with female herald supporters, blowing trumpets. To the right and left Zulu shields and spears above crossed rifles, all above a shooting range scene, with seated adjudicator and spectator with binoculars, surrounded by laurel wreath. The base has a cartouche which reads "INTER COLONIAL GRAND CHALLENGE SHIELD". This shield is also found in white metal and copper, this is a sterling silver version, with a full set of clear hallmarks. It is listed in Laidlaw (Commemorative Medals of South Africa, 1017), it was first produced by Mappin & Webb between 1902 and 1910. Ev...
An Ilias Lalaounis "Greek Gold" Arts & Crafts silver beaker, in 900 silver and gilded with a deep golden colour, with hand hammered planished surface. The beaker is a delight to hold, it is bulbous in shape, with flat bottomed base. This beaker (or small vase) is part of Lalaounis's Archaeological collection, where he made replicas of ancient Greek art, this piece dates to the Cycladic period, 3000B.C. The beaker is clearly hallmarked with Lalaounis makers mark and 900 silver standard mark. The beaker is also accompanied with it's original guarantee certificate, where it is described as a "silver gold plated cigarette vase of Cycladic Period 3000 B.C." This certificate shows a number of Lalaounis outlets, Athens, Mykonos, Rhodes and Corfu in Greece, but also Geneva, Zurich, Liberty's in London Regent Street, France, Vienna and Brussels - showing how successful Lalaounis was. Lalaounis opened a store in New York in 1979, so we know this certificate predates 1979. Wikipedia records that Lalaounis was internatio...
Plain silver piecrust waiter by Asprey, of exceptional quality, as you would expect from Asprey. The waiter has 3 feet, very clear hallmarks, and is also stamped "Asprey London, J". It is a good weight, and in excellent condition.
Bright cut helmet shaped cream jug with beaded rim and square base, very typical of the period. Clear hallmarks, with evidence hallmarks were applied before the bright cut engraving. Cartouche has initials engraved on it. Very interesting makers name!
An interesting German silver coin dish, with a German 3 Mark silver coin set in the centre of the circular dish. The coin is a special issue by the city of Hamburg, the front has the Hamburg city armorial (3 turreted castle supported by lions, it has lovely detail), and city motto "FREIE UND HANSESTADT HAMBURG", the obverse has German eagle and "DEUTSCHES REICH 1911 DREI MARK". The bowl is also engraved "UBERSEE-KAFFEE, Hamburg", Ubersee Kaffee (translated Overseas Coffee) was a large German coffee business focussed on the export market, we assume this was a corporate gift. Given the size of their building it must have been a substantial business (see photo). The hallmarks are clear, the German silver half moon and crown used after 1888, 835 standard mark, and a script makers mark von Hafen, for Juwelier von Hafen, a Hamburg Jeweller established in 1902, they still exist today, specializing in jewelry with a nautical theme.
The General Smuts Cup, a sterling silver shooting trophy awarded to Captain W. Marks of Belfast in 1950. The trophy is a small circular bon-bon dish, on a raised circular foot, with irregular rim featuring scrolls. The dish has an applied silver badge of the SANRA (South African National Rifle Association), of a jumping springbok below crossed rifles, and above a laurel wreath, surrounded by engraving "Capt. W. Marks Belfast, Genl. Smuts Cup 1950". The rim of the foot is also engraved, this is very small and barely visible, it reads "M. Tiger, Bloemfontein", we assume the trophy was re-awarded at a later date. The dish is clearly hallmarked on the base for Birmingham 1939 by Charles Green & Co, given it is engraved 1950 we assume it's use was delayed by World War II. Belfast is a small town in the North East of South Africa, primarily known for coal mining and trout fishing. Field Marshal Jan Smuts (1870-1950) was the Prime Minister of South Africa during World War II, he had a strong friendship with Winston ...
Pear shaped baluster caster with spreading base made by the Daniel's, who specialised in casters. Initials ELN are scratch engraved on the base. Both pieces are clearly hallmarked.
A near pair of silver golf trophies from the Manchester Old Golf Club, both won by the same person. The first was made in Sheffield in 1900 by Fenton Brothers, the second in London in 1901 by Harris & Sons. The trophies are bowls, similar in shape to rosebowls, but smaller. They both have a half fluted design. Both are engraved, the first reads "Manchester Old Golf Club, Atherton Silver Medal, 1900, Edwin Oliver, 98-15-83", the second "Old Manchester Golf Club, Silver Challenge Bowl, 1903, E. Oliver". The hallmarks on both are clear, one makers mark is rubbed but still visible.
A lovely porringer in the style of Charles II. Spot hammered, embossed with acanthus leaves and scroll handles with dolphin head. This porringer is very good quality, amongst the best we have seen. George Fox was a member of the well known Fox family of silversmiths, who supplied some of the leading silver retailers of the day. They are particularly well known for their fine copies of earlier styles (as is this piece). Britannia silver is higher grade than sterling silver, being 950/1000, as opposed to sterling's 925/1000.