A Scottish Provincial silver kilt pin brooch, made by John Fraser of Inverness, but hallmarked in Edinburgh as required by regulations. The kilt pin has a classic celtic design, and is a pleasing quality, and a good size and weight. The pin and clasp are also good quality, and in perfect working order. The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark JF incuse for John Fraser of Silvercraft, Inverness, who worked between 1965 and 1982.
A lovely 9 carat gold and enamel RAF (Royal Air Force) sweetheart brooch, with very good detail. This is very pleasing quality, it would have been an expensive item when first made. The brooch has RAF in red gold under a red enamel crown, above a green enamel laurel wreath, all set in gold, with the feathered yellow gold wings either side. The contrast between the red gold RAF and yellow gold wings is lovely, set off by the red and green enamel. The back is clearly hallmarked "9 CARAT", indicating 9 carat gold. The badge and both clasp connectors are 9 carat gold, the pin itself is a whiter colour so may not be gold.
An interesting Indian Colonial 9 carat gold sweetheart brooch, featuring a well modelled cast elephant and battle honour ASSAYE. The brooch is good quality, and the original gold pin and clasp in full working order. The brooch is clearly hallmarked, makers mark H&CoLD, and 9Ct for nine carat gold. This makers mark was used by Hamilton & Co, the "Garrards of India", between 1926 when they became a limited company and 1936 when they introduced date letters. The battle of Assaye was a major battle of the Second Anglo-Maratha War fought between the Maratha Empire and the British East India Company in 1803, the future Duke of Wellington commanded the British, he "considered Assaye the finest thing he ever did in the way of fighting even when compared to his later military career" - Wikipedia. He had 2 horses shot under him during the battle. "Both British regiments and Indian units were awarded the Assaye battle honour and most were later given permission to adopt an Assaye elephant as part of their insignia. The ...
A Royal Navy Gold Officers Sweetheart brooch, with gold pin and clasp in full working order. The cast badge has the Royal Navy fouled anchor under Crown, surrounded by laurel wreath, the badge has good detail. No hallmarks are present, but we are certain the pin is solid gold (we assume 9 carat).
A nine carat gold fishing rod and reel brooch, with a cast silver and enamel rainbow trout jumping over the rod. The fish has lovely detail, and the colours are realistic, the enamel work perfect, with no damage. The rod is segmented, overall this is a lovely brooch. The rod is hallmarked 9CT for 9 carat gold in 2 places, and also makers mark A&W, the fish is stamped SILVER. The box is also good quality, leather and silk, and reads "Terry & Co, Goldsmiths & Silversmiths, Corner of Cross St & King St, Manchester. We have traced an advert of theirs to 1967.
An interesting solid gold bar brooch, with a natural gold nugget, set with a round brilliant diamond. The nugget is a beautiful shape and size, approximately 5 grams, with tiny quartz crystals confirming it is natural. The diamond is approximately .20 carats, 0.4 mm diameter, is a round brilliant cut, colour G/H and clarity VS. The bar brooch itself is 15 carat gold, it is hallmarked 15C, and has makers mark CM. This brooch is accompanied by a valuation certificate from The Gem Lab Gemmological Services, confirming replacement value of R 20800, and confirming the diamond and gold details above.
A 15 carat gold and enamel RAF (Royal Air Force) sweetheart brooch, with red and green enamel, perfectly preserved in it's original leather and silk box. The only hallmark present is 15CT for fifteen carat gold. The box is lovely, and reads "Royal Appointment, Gieves Ltd, 21 Old Bond St London W1". Gieves is now Gieves and Hawkes after the acquisition of Hawkes in 1974, they hold Royal Warrants for the Royal Family and the Prince of Wales, now at 1 Savile Row.
An interesting gold miner or prospectors gold brooch, consisting of a gold spade, pick and rope, with 3 real 24 carat gold nuggets - the largest central on the handles, with smaller nuggets on the spade and pick end. The spade blade has stamped "rivets", the gold safety chain and safety pin is attached to the spade blaed. The brooch pin is also gold, but a redder colour compared to the bright gold nuggets, spade and pick. The brooch has no hallmarks, we believe the spade, pick and rope to be 18 carat, the nuggets pure 24 carat and possibly the pin is 9 carat. These brooches became popular at the turn of the 20th century, worn to advertise success in the goldfields.
A very interesting (and large) Odd Fellows antique silver medallion or pendant, with a central Brittannia surrounded by a laurel wreath, in silver, on blue (enamel?) background, covered by glass. The oval medallion is engraved "VOTED BY THE YARMOUTH BRITANNIC LODGE OF ODD FELLOWS TO G. BOATWRIGHT P.G. 29 MARCH 1843". This is surrounded by an attractive engraved chain, the border is also engraved. The hallmarks are clear, and include the distinctive J.D makers mark with indented corners (Grimwade 3421). Dallinger was an engraver, lithographer and copper plate maker, he first worked in Ipswitch from 1824 and moved to Norwich in 1829 when he made this medallion. He is known as a maker of Odd Fellow regalia. The Odd Fellows is a Fraternal Society promoting philanthropy and charity, it dates back to 1745 and still exists today.
A fabulous quality Royal Fusiliers City of London Regimental sweetheart brooch, with 77 diamonds set in Platinum and 9 carat gold. The badge consists of a Fused (or smoking) Grenade, above a Tudor rose enclosed by Royal Garter, with motto "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", translated "evil to him who evil thinks", surmounted by Royal crown. The grenade has 63 diamonds, the rose has 11 diamonds, gold lettering surrounded by blue enamel, and the crown has 3 diamonds and red enamel. The pin, clasp and hinge are all solid 9 carat gold, the diamonds are set in platinum. The brooch is hallmarked "9Ct" for 9 carat gold, and "PLAT" for platinum. Platinum usage in high end quality jewellery only commenced at the turn of the 20th century during Edwardian times, it's usage had died out by World War II due to expense, so we can date this brooch to either the Boer War or World War I. The Royal Fusilier (or 7th Regiment of Foot) regiment dates back to 1685, and has seen service in the American War of Independance, Napoleonic War...
A lovely Georg Jensen sterling silver brooch, pattern number 266. The brooch is rectangular, with a wavy crosshatch bar pattern interspersed with 3 different sizes of silver balls, this has been described as the Jensen "Silver Ball" brooch. The brooch is clearly hallmarked with interesting marks, 6 distinct punch groupings have been used, so quite unusual to have so many hallmarks on such a small piece. They include 1. "Georg Jensen Silversmiths LTD", 2. "Sterling", 3. "Denmark", 4."266", 5. "GJLd" (makers mark), 6. "London post 1906 import mark, .925, N" (London import marks for 1948). The first 4 marks would have been added in Denmark, the last 2 on import into London in 1948.
A Unidor sterling silver pendant, in Modernist style, circa 1970. The pendant is circular, the disc has been cut, folded and partly textured, and 17 silver balls of different sizes have been applied. The disc hangs from a long connecting rod, also with 4 balls, the pin has 2 arms similar to a hair-clip. The top of the pin has a connecting loop for a silver chain. The pin is hallmarked "925 UNIDOR", which is small but very clear. Unidor was a German jeweller operating from Pforzheim, the "Goldstadt" or Golden City, renowned for its jewellery industry.
An antique Dutch silver Zeeland Button costume belt buckle, in excellent condition. The buckle has 14 silver Zeeland buttons (Zilver Zeeuwse Knop), 2 large and 12 small, on a rectangular belt buckle, with central supporting strut for attachment to belt. The buttons themselves are made to a traditional design, with balls and filigree work, each Zeeland district has a slight variation. The buckle has 2 hallmarks, makers mark JW and the Dutch sword mark quality guarantee. The Dutch Button has been part of the Zeeland traditional costume since the 18th century.
A classic Kupittaan Kulta Sterling silver and moss agate ring, designed by Elis Kauppi of Turku, Finland. The ring is beautifully designed, it features 2 segments, with a stunning etched texture on both sides, around a central semi precious stone ball (we believe moss agate), orange and white in colour with black strands, with 4 sterling silver balls on the end of each segment. The ring itself is plain, adjustable for sizing, it is clearly hallmarked with Kupittaan Kulta makers mark and 925S sterling guarantee. The ring resembles an opening seed pod to us, one of the more innovative of the Kauppi designs. Elis Kauppi (1921 - 2004) established Kupittaan Kulta in Turku, Finland, in 1945 at the end of the Second World War, at age 24. His use of local semi-precious stones and innovative design resulted in increased attention, and by 1958 he was an award winning regular exhibitor at international shows. Today he is remembered as a foremost figure in modernist jewellery, who put Finnish design on the world stage. W...
A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A 9 carat gold Natal Cadet Bisley shooting trophy medallion for 1907. The medallion has the emblem of the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment, used prior to 1910, with the British Royal Coat of Arms above two running antelope. The Royal arms include mottoes "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", and "Dieu en Mon Droit" clearly readable. The medallion has clear hallmarks, including E & Co for Elkington, a leading British silversmith, and the numbers 9 and 375 representing 9 carat gold. The original loop is also gold, and is hallmarked with tiny marks. This medallion would be suitable to be worn as a pendant. Bisley is a small English village that since 1890 has been the home of the National Rifle Association championships, hence the name of the shooting medallion. The Bisley revolver has been used for target shooting since 1894.
An interesting British Arts & Crafts medallion, which could be worn as a pendant. The pendant has the Manchester Coat of Arms, complete with sailing ship and globe signifying Manchester's world trade, with bees on the globe signifying the industrial revolution. The supporters include an antelope and lion, and the motto "Concilio et Labore", translated "By Wisdom and Effort". The medallion also has Arts and Crafts symbols, including hammer & anvil, paintboard and brush, and hammer & wheel. The back is engraved "Awarded to Mabel Maynard for Miniature Painting, Manchester April 1901". The hallmarks are clear, and the loop is also hallmarked.
A lovely gold lady golfer medallion or brooch, with a lady golfer in full swing, above a scroll reading "R D L G C", possibly Royal Durban Ladies Golf Club. The medallion has 2 different colours of gold, a redder colour and also brighter yellow colour, which combined with the texture makes the picture stand out. The back of the medallion is engraved "W.m PAY LOVING CUP, 1935, J HEY", the original winner of the medallion. The medallion has a 14 carat gold pin and clasp on the back, allowing it to be worn as a brooch (this could be easily removed, allowing the medallion to be worn as a pendant). The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark for Marples and Beasley, who were jewellers and medallists, they worked between 1899 and 1994. The other hallmarks include 9 and .375 indicating 9 carat gold, and date letter for 1921, so it was made some time before it was awarded.
A rare 9 carat gold Currie Cup medallion, issued by the South African Football Association, which would have been presented to members of the South African Rugby Team who won the Currie Cup. The medallion is lovely and depicts a springbok and a wildebeest, presumably standing on Robben Island with Table Mountain, Cape Town in the background. The front reads "South African Football Association", the back reads "Currie Cup won by", with the space for the name and the year left blank. This dates back to before the Second World War, before the word rugby was used in the organisation's title. The medallion has 4 hallmarks, springbok head indication South African origin, 9ct for 9 carat gold, date letter Z and makers mark "SAM" for South African Mint. We have tentatively dated this to 1938, as the only other one we have seen is dated 1938, perhaps the trophy was interrupted by the arrival of World War II, hence the lack of inscription.
A Chinese jade pendant with 14 carat gold clasp and ring. The jade is light green, with some natural dark green patches. The pendant is kidney shaped, and both sides have a carved tree. The gold ring is hallmarked "14 K, 585" indicating 14 carat gold, which is 58.5% pure. 14 Carat gold is often used for jewellery. According to Chinese tradition, sons are thought fortunate, and in celebration male progeny is often presented with a piece of jade.
A lovely Emerald and God Neckpiece, with 21 Brazilian emeralds set in a decorative 12 carat gold necklace. The emeralds have an average size of 0.365 ct, the clarity is good, cut good and colour very slightly blueish green.
The neck piece was appraised in 2010 by a registered Gemologist Appraiser (ISG) and member of the Jewellery Council of South Africa, the replacement value then was R 27 187 (South African Rands, approximately US $ 3200). The original certificate accompanies this purchase. Note - This necklace was revalued in May 2017 by Gemlab (www.gemlab.co.za), certifying 7.81 carats of oval mixed good colour heavily included emeralds, with 10.44 grams of 14 carat gold, replacement value R 93100, this certificate is included.
A collectable antique silver fob medallion depicting a footballer kicking a ball, and engraved "C.R.F.U., Second Team, 1905". The footballer has a beaded border, set on medallion shaped fob with flying scrolls. The hallmarks are clear. CRFU today stands for "Cornwall Rugby Football Union", but given the round ball we feel this was more likely a football rather than rugby club. Charles Winter worked between 1904 and 1911, first at Soho Metal Works and later at Soho Scientific Instrument Co. (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths).
A lovely blue and white enamel and silver buckle of very good quality, in a circular floral shape. The buckle has a separate silver loop for attachment, and 4 matching silver and enamel buttons, complete with fastening attachment. The buckle is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, the buttons are all stamped "Sterling", probably of continental origin. Levi and Salaman were known for their souvenir spoons and enamel novelties and jewellery.
A lovely silver belt buckle, decorated with a mother of pearl flower with purple, white and orange colours, which change colour as it catches the light. The buckle is also engraved with leaves and flowers in bright cut fashion. The buckle has Birmingham hallmarks, with makers or retailers mark "FHA Ld" overstriking other marks, including the date letter. FH Adams used this mark between 1908 and 1915, they worked from New John Street. Given the style of decoration and lovely mother of pearl work, it is possible the buckle is continental in origin, and received Birmingham marks after import into Britian.
A sterling silver fob medallion depicting a footballer (soccer player) kicking a ball. The detail is good, and the surrounding design of laurel wreath, triangles and crown is interesting. The hallmarks are clear. The connecting ring is also hallmarked. James Fenton worked from Great Hampton Street between 1856 and 1954. Fob medallions would have been attached to a gentlemen's "Albert" (watch chain), the now make attractive necklace pendants.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A set of 3 delightful fob medals, all won by H. Duncan of Camps Bay Amateur Swimming Club, South Africa. The first shows a lifesaver in action, with the words "The Royal Lifesaving Society, Competition Medal - Henry Cup, 1925, 1st, H. Duncan, Camps Bay A.S.C." The second shows a swimmer diving into a pool, and reads "RD 679779, C.B.A.S.C. Club C'ship, 1925-26, 3rd, H. Duncan". The 3rd, oval in shape, shows a swimmer with a yacht in the background, reads "C.P. Schools under 14 Team Race Championship, Gordons Cup, 1922". (C.P. stands for Cape Province). All 3 medals have clear hallmarks, the makers are Joseph Duffern & Co, William Hair Haseler and the unidentified JM respectively. WH Haseler had close ties with Liberty & Co.
A lovely 9 carat gold music prize medallion, decorated with crisp and finely detailed musical instruments, including a harp, violin, trombone, oboe and clarinet, complete with sheets of music. The medallion is engraved "SFCC EISTEDDFOD, 1922, SENr Piano Solo, 1st Prize, Miss M Butt". The engraving has been done by hand. The medallion is attached to a gold link by scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark T&S, 9 ct gold hallmarks, Birmingham town mark and date letter for 1922. The ring also has gold hallmarks.
A lovely Irish silver torque, hand crafted with clearly visible hand hammered marks. This is a neck torque (as opposed to a bangle torque intended for a wrist). Torques are a traditional Celtic design.
Padraig O'Mathuna worked from the lovely town of Cashel in Tipperary. Cashel is the traditional seat of the Kings of Munster.
A magnificent Scottish kilt sash brooch, used to hold the shoulder plaid in place. The brooch has cast thistles and celtic "buttons" surrounding a spectacular cairngorm (commonly known as citrine, also called black quartz or smoky quartz). The gemstone is very impressive, amongst the largest we have seen. It has been estimated at over 100 carats, and is a round brilliant cut.
The hallmarks are clear, with retailers mark J.S.McL (McLeod we assume) overstriking the makers mark. Scottish citrine is called cairngorm after its place of origin in the Scottish Highlands, and is the November birthstone, also the symbol of brightness, life and hope.
A Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) silver pendant by the famed Murrle Bennett & Co. The pendant is hammered silver, set with a turquoise cabochon, flanked by eight studs and four cut out scrolls. The pendant has the MB&Co makers mark, and 950 standard mark (incuse). Murrle Bennett was founded by Ernst Murrle and JB Bennett, they specialised in high quality but reasonably priced jewellery in the Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) style. They were London based, but production took place in Pforzheim, Germany. They had their own catalog and shop, but also sold through Liberty & Co.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
A lovely antique Irish silver brooch in the form of the Irish harp. The harp is decorated with traditional Celtic motifs, in the traditional manner. The hallmarks are clear, except Hibernia who is only partially visible.
A rare Iona silver scarf ring, in the Celtic Arts and Crafts style. The ring is very good quality, and has a classic Ritchie Viking longship motif, with celtic knotwork side panels, and terminals of wolf like celtic beasts. The ship is copied off an 11th century stone carving in Iona's Abbey museum, and the beasts are similar to those found in the Book of Kells. The hallmarks are very clear, "AR IONA" incuse, along with makers mark ICA (Iona Celtic Arts) and Birmingham hallmarks for 1934. Ritchie registered the ICA makers mark in 1931 in Birmingham. Alex Ritchie's work was inspired by the ancient Celtic and Viking carvings on Iona. He is regarded as one of the most respected and sought after Scottish silver jewellers of the 20th century. (All information courtesy of Alexander Ritchie website, see link on our links page. A similar scarf ring is shown on the website.)
A Boer War "sweetheart brooch" in 15 carat gold, so we assume the sweetheart was an officer. The brooch carries the badge of an Infantry Regiment, the 19th (County of London) Battalion, St Pancras. It is engraved "South Africa, 1899 - 1902". The gold has a reddish colour, whcih contrasts well with the red and blue enamel. It is lovely quality, even the clasp and pin are in 15 ct gold. Both the brooch and pin are stamped "15ct", these are the only hallmarks. 15 ct gold was only used in Britian between 1854 and 1932, when the 15 ct and 12 ct standards were replaced by 14 carat.
A rare silver and green enamel annular brooch designed by Alexander Ritchie, the famous Iona silversmith. The brooch has a Gaelic inscription "A h-uile latha sona dhuit", translated "May all your days be happy". These brooches are traditional wedding presents to celebrate a marriage. The Alexander Ritchie website (see our links page) shows 2 similar brooches, one in blue and the other in red enamel, both are described as rare, they do not show a green enamel example. Ritchie began to use the Birmingham assay office in 1931, and he had close links to the Birmingham firm of Darby & Sons, who made items for him. After Ritchie's death in 1941, some of his original moulds were used by Darby until the 1950's, this is one of these (see Ritchie website). The hallmarks are small but visible, the pin is also hallmarked.
A Scottish silver clan badge, which can be worn as a pendant or as a brooch or kilt sash pin. The badge comprises a "Lions Head Effrontee" (looking forward) with the motto "I Bear in Mind". This is the crest and motto of the Campbell clan of Barbreck. The Campbells are one of the most powerful clans of Scotland, descendants of King Robert Bruce. The Campbells of Barbreck are from the Argyll district. The badge is very good quality, the lion is cast and has lovely detail, it stands out from the badge. It is a pleasing weight, and hangs well from a chain. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark RWF. The badge also has a silver plaque which reads " R.W. Forsyth Ltd, Edinburgh & Glasgow". R.W. Forsyth was a leading Scottish department store from 1897 until the 1980's.
Beautiful, reversible blue enamel pendant and choker, designed by Bjorn Sigurd Ostern for David Andersen. The pendant is reversible, and looks remarkably different when worn the different ways. It hangs very well, and is most striking when worn. The choker is original, and is also silver. Ostern was the chief designer for Andersen between 1961 and 1985. The pendant is clearly hallmarked, David-Andersen, Norway Sterling 925S, INV.B.S.O., and the choker is also hallmarked Andersen and 925S.
A Scottish Provincial sterling silver brooch from Aberdeen, with a silver rim surrounding a polished oval pink granite. Aberdeen is known as the "Granite City", with its' building stone quarried from Rubislaw Quarry. The brooch is hallmarked with makers mark R&S and ABD, the unofficial Aberdeen town mark. Rettie and Son worked between 1824 and 1892, and are well known for their jewellery with the local granite (Benjamin, Antique Jewellery, page 92). The book "Aberdeen Silver, A Collectors Guide, Michael Wilson, pg 56, describes Rettie & Sons as "famous for silver and granite jewellery" Wilson also explains that the salmon pink granite used in this brooch is from the Corrennie Quarry, granite from Rubislaw is grey (pg 14).
An antique Essex crystal brooch, set in an attractive 18 carat gold setting with rope border. The brooch contains the burgee (yacht club pennant) of the Royal London Yacht Club, with the London crest under a crown. The brooch is of extremely good quality, and is in immaculate condition. The crystal is convex, polished into a cabochon, the image itself is carved and hand painted, and the viewer is given a 3 dimensional view. The Royal London Yacht Club was founded in 1838, and is now based in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
The hallmarks are very clear, and include the crown and "18" indicating 18 carat gold, Chester wheatsheaf town mark, date letter gothic "S" for 1881, and makers mark R.N. for Richard Nevill, who was a manufacturing jeweller based in Birmingham (Chester Gold and Silver Marks, Ridgway and Priestley, pg 360), they worked between 1880 and 1917. The rim has additional 18 ct hallmarks, and the gold pin is also hallmarked.
A lovely 9 carat gold HMS Conway rowing medallion, awarded to L.H. Barradell, rowing at position 5 (we assume of 8). The medallion is beautifully cast, with a very realistically modelled ship. The medallion is perfectly preserved in its original box, marked "Old Fields Limited, Post Office Place, Church St, Liverpool". The hallmarks are very clear and include "9" and "375" indicating 9 carat gold. HMS Conway was a 19th century wooden battleship, used as a Naval Training School for cadets. It was stationed on the Mersey in Liverpool, which accounts for the origin of the medallion. It operated between 1859 and 1953. The motto was "Quit Ye Like Men Be Strong". L.H. Barradell rose to the rank of Commander, he completed his career in Kenya. He was awarded the Legion of Honour (Crois de Chevalier) by the President of the French Republic in recognition of his services during the war, during the battle of Jutland, when he was a Lt RNR (Lieutenant Royal Naval Reserve) (www.hmsconway.org web site). We have now...
An original antique silver Wembley badge, depicting the Wembley lion in silver set in tortoiseshell, with silver rim. Wembley, "The home of Legends", is amongst the most famous football stadiums in the world. This badge would have been made to commemorate the opening of Wembley by King George V in 1924. The Wembley lion, designed by Herrick in Egyptian style, was the symbol of the British Empire Exhibition of 1924 - the "Lion of Industry". Collett & Anderson were known for producing silver and tortoiseshell badges and brooches. The hallmarks are clear.
A Boer War silver belt buckle, with pith helmet above 2 crossed rifles with bayonets attached, surrounded by a wreath with the British national flowers (rose, thistle, shamrock and leek). The engraving is quite attractive. Unfortunately we have not been able to identify the regiment, we have seen nurse's buckles similar to this, but feel the presence of rifles makes a nursing attribution unlikely.
A well modelled silver equestrian medal, showing a horse rider with hounds on the front, and 3 horses in a field with a tree on the rear. It reads "Hunters Improvement and National, Light Horse Breeding Society, 1932". The medallion was modelled by Frank Hyams Ld, as indicated by his signature.
A lovely antique 9 Carat rose gold Albert Chain bracelet, of exceptional quality. This has been converted into a bracelet from a Gentleman's Albert chain, used to hold his pocket watch in place, named after Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband. The links are gradated, with each link either slightly larger (or smaller) than the one next to it, the largest links are in the centre of the bracelet (0.8 cm across), the smaller at the end (0.6 cm). The original gold T-bar hangs from a few links off the end of the chain, so it hangs freely when the bracelet is closed. The gold has a noticeable lovely reddish tinge, hence our description rose gold, which is usually associated with Welsh gold. What marks this chain as exceptional quality is that each and every link is hallmarked, some more clearly than others, with the 9 carat mark (9.375). The T-bar has the same 9.375 mark, plus makers mark E.W&S for E Whitehouse and Sons, who worked in 1902, from Vyse Street, Birmingham. The shepherds hook clasp, which ensures a...
A silver prize fob medallion, of the Surbiton Motor Club (just outside London), awarded for the London to Barnstaple race in 1927. The medallion is beautiful, and features a maiden in flowing dress holding a laurel wreath, and a shield with 3 fish, we assume the crest of the Surbiton motor club. The medallion is well made, the detail is excellent, this would make an attractive necklace pendant. The rear of the medallion has a laurel wreath, and is engraved "London Barnstaple 1927 A.W. Alliston". The hallmarks are clear.
An ancient Greek silver Drachm, set in a 14 carat gold bezel with pendant loop. The Drachm depicts Alexander the Great of the Kingdom of Macedonia, the most successful general of all history. The front shows an idealised portrait of Alexander in the guise of the mythical hero Heracles, clad in a Nemean lion skin headdress. It is in high relief, the detail is lovely. The back depicts the God Zeus, seated with bare chest, he holds a trident and has a bird in the other hand. It also contains a number of symbols and letters that indicate the mint mark for Amphipolis (right angle above torch, and M and star below chair). Amphipolis was an important naval base during the reign of Alexander, it ceased to exist around 400 AD. The pendant ring is stamped 585, indicating the gold is 14 carat. Note - it has been brought to our attention by a coin expert that this is not an original coin, but a later replica, as only Poseidan, not Zeus, should be holding a trident, apologies. We have reduced the price by 50%.
A 9 carat gold and green enamel sweetheart brooch, for the Irish regiment the Royal Ulster Rifles. The brooch has the regimental crest of Irish winged harp below Royal crown, and motto " Quis Separabit" (Who shall separate us). It also has a shamrock and hunting horn below the harp, the detail is lovely, this is a very good quality brooch. It is mounted on original gold brooch safety pin, which is in perfect working order. It is stamped with 9CT indicating it is 9 carat gold. The original leather box with gold trim is also lovely and well preserved, even the silk lining is still good. It is marked "W.P. Lewis & Co, Goldsmiths, Successors to Pim Bros Ltd, 19 Exchequer St, Dublin", the original retailer. The Royal Ulster Rifles also served in the Anglo Boer War, so this brooch could be older than our World War 1 date, as sweetheart brooches were also popular then. As this is a high quality gold brooch, it probably would have been presented by an officer. The Royal Ulster Rifles have won 7 Victoria Crosses, 4 in...
A delightful silver whistle in full working order, it emits a piercing and loud whistle (which certainly attracted attention when we tested it!). The whistle is engraved with scrolling foliage, and has a ring and link to allow it to be suspended from a chain or chatelaine. The hallmarks are very clear. This would make a lovely and functional pendant on a silver necklace. William John Hutchinson worked between 1900 and 1929.
A fabulous quality gold and Diamond World War II Sweetheart brooch, for the Gordon Highlanders Regiment. The brooch has a textured 9 carat gold stags head with impressive antlers, green cabochon eyes (we assume emerald) and two red faceted stone nostrils (we assume ruby). The stags head is surrounded in a wreath of 18 leaves (white 9 carat gold), each leaf contains a diamond, and sits above a crown (which also contains 5 diamonds, so 23 diamonds in total, all are present). The regimental motto "BYDAND", translated as "Stand and Fight", in gold letters set in blue enamel sits in a gold scroll at the base. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark J.W.B, 9 and .375 indicating 9 carat gold, anchor town mark for Birmingham and date letter R for 1941. The pin is also hallmarked 9 .375 indicating it is also 9 carat gold. John William Barrett was a manufacturing jeweller who worked between 1903 and 1953, a number of other high quality sweetheart brooches are known by him, so we assume this was an area of spec...
A 20th Lancers Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Enamel sweetheart brooch. The brooch features the traditional crossed lances with flying pennons, with Royal crown above, LANCERS scroll below and XX in the centre, denoting the regiment as 20th Lancers. The brooch is 15 carat gold, the 2 X's are platinum set with 18 diamonds, all are present. The crown has red enamel, the pennons red and white enamel, and LANCERS blue enamel, all enamel is perfect. The brooch is hallmarked "15 ct & PT.", indicating 15 carat gold and platinum, which was often used in English jewellery from circa 1890 until 1932. Platinum use in jewellery became popular in Edwardian times, 15 carat gold was used between 1854 and 1932, when it was replaced by 14 carat gold. The 20th Lancers was a regiment of the British Indian Army, which saw service between 1921 and 1937. Today both India and Pakistan have a 20th Lancers regiment. This brooch is accompanied by a valuation certificate from Gemlab confirming authenticity of diamonds and that the brooch ...