A fabulous quality gold and Diamond World War II Sweetheart brooch, for the Gordon Highlanders Regiment. The brooch has a textured 9 carat gold stags head with impressive antlers, green cabochon eyes (we assume emerald) and two red faceted stone nostrils (we assume ruby). The stags head is surrounded in a wreath of 18 leaves (white 9 carat gold), each leaf contains a diamond, and sits above a crown (which also contains 5 diamonds, so 23 diamonds in total, all are present). The regimental motto "BYDAND", translated as "Stand and Fight", in gold letters set in blue enamel sits in a gold scroll at the base. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark J.W.B, 9 and .375 indicating 9 carat gold, anchor town mark for Birmingham and date letter R for 1941. The pin is also hallmarked 9 .375 indicating it is also 9 carat gold. John William Barrett was a manufacturing jeweller who worked between 1903 and 1953, a number of other high quality sweetheart brooches are known by him, so we assume this was an area of spec...
A lovely Emerald and God Neckpiece, with 21 Brazilian emeralds set in a decorative 12 carat gold necklace. The emeralds have an average size of 0.365 ct, the clarity is good, cut good and colour very slightly blueish green.
The neck piece was appraised in 2010 by a registered Gemologist Appraiser (ISG) and member of the Jewellery Council of South Africa,the replacement value then was R 27 187 (South African Rands, approximately US $ 3200). The original certificate accompanies this purchase.
A magnificent Scottish kilt sash brooch, used to hold the shoulder plaid in place. The brooch has cast thistles and celtic "buttons" surrounding a spectacular cairngorm (commonly known as citrine, also called black quartz or smoky quartz). The gemstone is very impressive, amongst the largest we have seen. It has been estimated at over 100 carats, and is a round brilliant cut.
The hallmarks are clear, with retailers mark J.S.McL (McLeod we assume) overstriking the makers mark. Scottish citrine is called cairngorm after its place of origin in the Scottish Highlands, and is the November birthstone, also the symbol of brightness, life and hope.
A rare 9 carat gold Currie Cup medallion, issued by the South African Football Association, which would have been presented to members of the South African Rugby Team who won the Currie Cup. The medallion is lovely and depicts a springbok and a wildebeest, presumably standing on Robben Island with Table Mountain, Cape Town in the background. The front reads "South African Football Association", the back reads "Currie Cup won by", with the space for the name and the year left blank. This dates back to before the Second World War, before the word rugby was used in the organisation's title. The medallion has 4 hallmarks, springbok head indication South African origin, 9ct for 9 carat gold, date letter Z and makers mark "SAM" for South African Mint. We have tentatively dated this to 1938, as the only other one we have seen is dated 1938, perhaps the trophy was interrupted by the arrival of World War II, hence the lack of inscription.
Beautiful, reversible blue enamel pendant and choker, designed by Bjorn Sigurd Ostern for David Andersen. The pendant is reversible, and looks remarkably different when worn the different ways. It hangs very well, and is most striking when worn. The choker is original, and is also silver. Ostern was the chief designer for Andersen between 1961 and 1985. The pendant is clearly hallmarked, David-Andersen, Norway Sterling 925S, INV.B.S.O., and the choker is also hallmarked Andersen and 925S.
A lovely 9 carat gold HMS Conway rowing medallion, awarded to L.H. Barradell, rowing at position 5 (we assume of 8). The medallion is beautifully cast, with a very realistically modelled ship. The medallion is perfectly preserved in its original box, marked "Old Fields Limited, Post Office Place, Church St, Liverpool". The hallmarks are very clear and include "9" and "375" indicating 9 carat gold. HMS Conway was a 19th century wooden battleship, used as a Naval Training School for cadets. It was stationed on the Mersey in Liverpool, which accounts for the origin of the medallion. It operated between 1859 and 1953. The motto was "Quit Ye Like Men Be Strong". L.H. Barradell rose to the rank of Commander, he completed his career in Kenya. He was awarded the Legion of Honour (Crois de Chevalier) by the President of the French Republic in recognition of his services during the war, during the battle of Jutland, when he was a Lt RNR (Lieutenant Royal Naval Reserve) (www.hmsconway.org web site). We have now...
A lovely antique 9 Carat rose gold Albert Chain bracelet, of exceptional quality. This has been converted into a bracelet from a Gentleman's Albert chain, used to hold his pocket watch in place, named after Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband. The links are gradated, with each link either slightly larger (or smaller) than the one next to it, the largest links are in the centre of the bracelet (0.8 cm across), the smaller at the end (0.6 cm). The original gold T-bar hangs from a few links off the end of the chain, so it hangs freely when the bracelet is closed. The gold has a noticeable lovely reddish tinge, hence our description rose gold, which is usually associated with Welsh gold. What marks this chain as exceptional quality is that each and every link is hallmarked, some more clearly than others, with the 9 carat mark (9.375). The T-bar has the same 9.375 mark, plus makers mark E.W&S for E Whitehouse and Sons, who worked in 1902, from Vyse Street, Birmingham. The shepherds hook clasp, which ensures a...
A 9 carat gold and green enamel sweetheart brooch, for the Irish regiment the Royal Ulster Rifles. The brooch has the regimental crest of Irish winged harp below Royal crown, and motto " Quis Separabit" (Who shall separate us). It also has a shamrock and hunting horn below the harp, the detail is lovely, this is a very good quality brooch. It is mounted on original gold brooch safety pin, which is in perfect working order. It is stamped with 9CT indicating it is 9 carat gold. The original leather box with gold trim is also lovely and well preserved, even the silk lining is still good. It is marked "W.P. Lewis & Co, Goldsmiths, Successors to Pim Bros Ltd, 19 Exchequer St, Dublin", the original retailer. The Royal Ulster Rifles also served in the Anglo Boer War, so this brooch could be older than our World War 1 date, as sweetheart brooches were also popular then. As this is a high quality gold brooch, it probably would have been presented by an officer. The Royal Ulster Rifles have won 7 Victoria Crosses, 4 in...
An antique Essex crystal brooch, set in an attractive 18 carat gold setting with rope border. The brooch contains the burgee (yacht club pennant) of the Royal London Yacht Club, with the London crest under a crown. The brooch is of extremely good quality, and is in immaculate condition. The crystal is convex, polished into a cabochon, the image itself is carved and hand painted, and the viewer is given a 3 dimensional view. The Royal London Yacht Club was founded in 1838, and is now based in Cowes on the Isle of Wight.
The hallmarks are very clear, and include the crown and "18" indicating 18 carat gold, Chester wheatsheaf town mark, date letter gothic "S" for 1881, and makers mark R.N. for Richard Nevill, who was a manufacturing jeweller based in Birmingham (Chester Gold and Silver Marks, Ridgway and Priestley, pg 360), they worked between 1880 and 1917. The rim has additional 18 ct hallmarks, and the gold pin is also hallmarked.
A 9 carat gold Natal Cadet Bisley shooting trophy medallion for 1907. The medallion has the emblem of the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment, used prior to 1910, with the British Royal Coat of Arms above two running antelope. The Royal arms include mottoes "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", and "Dieu en Mon Droit" clearly readable. The medallion has clear hallmarks, including E & Co for Elkington, a leading British silversmith, and the numbers 9 and 375 representing 9 carat gold. The original loop is also gold, and is hallmarked with tiny marks. This medallion would be suitable to be worn as a pendant. Bisley is a small English village that since 1890 has been the home of the National Rifle Association championships, hence the name of the shooting medallion. The Bisley revolver has been used for target shooting since 1894.
A Chinese jade pendant with 14 carat gold clasp and ring. The jade is light green, with some natural dark green patches. The pendant is kidney shaped, and both sides have a carved tree. The gold ring is hallmarked "14 K, 585" indicating 14 carat gold, which is 58.5% pure. 14 Carat gold is often used for jewellery. According to Chinese tradition, sons are thought fortunate, and in celebration male progeny is often presented with a piece of jade.
A lovely gold lady golfer medallion or brooch, with a lady golfer in full swing, above a scroll reading "R D L G C", possibly Royal Durban Ladies Golf Club. The medallion has 2 different colours of gold, a redder colour and also brighter yellow colour, which combined with the texture makes the picture stand out. The back of the medallion is engraved "W.m PAY LOVING CUP, 1935, J HEY", the original winner of the medallion. The medallion has a 14 carat gold pin and clasp on the back, allowing it to be worn as a brooch (this could be easily removed, allowing the medallion to be worn as a pendant). The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark for Marples and Beasley, who were jewellers and medallists, they worked between 1899 and 1994. The other hallmarks include 9 and .375 indicating 9 carat gold, and date letter for 1921, so it was made some time before it was awarded.
A set of 3 delightful fob medals, all won by H. Duncan of Camps Bay Amateur Swimming Club, South Africa. The first shows a lifesaver in action, with the words "The Royal Lifesaving Society, Competition Medal - Henry Cup, 1925, 1st, H. Duncan, Camps Bay A.S.C." The second shows a swimmer diving into a pool, and reads "RD 679779, C.B.A.S.C. Club C'ship, 1925-26, 3rd, H. Duncan". The 3rd, oval in shape, shows a swimmer with a yacht in the background, reads "C.P. Schools under 14 Team Race Championship, Gordons Cup, 1922". (C.P. stands for Cape Province). All 3 medals have clear hallmarks, the makers are Joseph Duffern & Co, William Hair Haseler and the unidentified JM respectively. WH Haseler had close ties with Liberty & Co.
A rare Iona silver scarf ring, in the Celtic Arts and Crafts style. The ring is very good quality, and has a classic Ritchie Viking longship motif, with celtic knotwork side panels, and terminals of wolf like celtic beasts. The ship is copied off an 11th century stone carving in Iona's Abbey museum, and the beasts are similar to those found in the Book of Kells. The hallmarks are very clear, "AR IONA" incuse, along with makers mark ICA (Iona Celtic Arts) and Birmingham hallmarks for 1934. Ritchie registered the ICA makers mark in 1931 in Birmingham. Alex Ritchie's work was inspired by the ancient Celtic and Viking carvings on Iona. He is regarded as one of the most respected and sought after Scottish silver jewellers of the 20th century. (All information courtesy of Alexander Ritchie website, see link on our links page. A similar scarf ring is shown on the website.)
A rare silver and green enamel annular brooch designed by Alexander Ritchie, the famous Iona silversmith. The brooch has a Gaelic inscription "A h-uile latha sona dhuit", translated "May all your days be happy". These brooches are traditional wedding presents to celebrate a marriage. The Alexander Ritchie website (see our links page) shows 2 similar brooches, one in blue and the other in red enamel, both are described as rare, they do not show a green enamel example. Ritchie began to use the Birmingham assay office in 1931, and he had close links to the Birmingham firm of Darby & Sons, who made items for him. After Ritchie's death in 1941, some of his original moulds were used by Darby until the 1950's, this is one of these (see Ritchie website). The hallmarks are small but visible, the pin is also hallmarked.
A Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) silver pendant by the famed Murrle Bennett & Co. The pendant is hammered silver, set with a turquoise cabochon, flanked by eight studs and four cut out scrolls. The pendant has the MB&Co makers mark, and 950 standard mark (incuse). Murrle Bennett was founded by Ernst Murrle and JB Bennett, they specialised in high quality but reasonably priced jewellery in the Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) style. They were London based, but production took place in Pforzheim, Germany. They had their own catalog and shop, but also sold through Liberty & Co.
An ancient Greek silver Drachm, set in a 14 carat gold bezel with pendant loop. The Drachm depicts Alexander the Great of the Kingdom of Macedonia, the most successful general of all history. The front shows an idealised portrait of Alexander in the guise of the mythical hero Heracles, clad in a Nemean lion skin headdress. It is in high relief, the detail is lovely. The back depicts the God Zeus, seated with bare chest, he holds a trident and has a bird in the other hand. It also contains a number of symbols and letters that indicate the mint mark for Amphipolis (right angle above torch, and M and star below chair). Amphipolis was an important naval base during the reign of Alexander, it ceased to exist around 400 AD. The pendant ring is stamped 585, indicating the gold is 14 carat. Note - it has been brought to our attention by a coin expert that this is not an original coin, but a later replica, as only Poseidan, not Zeus, should be holding a trident, apologies. We have reduced the price by 50%.
A lovely 9 carat gold music prize medallion, decorated with crisp and finely detailed musical instruments, including a harp, violin, trombone, oboe and clarinet, complete with sheets of music. The medallion is engraved "SFCC EISTEDDFOD, 1922, SENr Piano Solo, 1st Prize, Miss M Butt". The engraving has been done by hand. The medallion is attached to a gold link by scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark T&S, 9 ct gold hallmarks, Birmingham town mark and date letter for 1922. The ring also has gold hallmarks.
A Boer War "sweetheart brooch" in 15 carat gold, so we assume the sweetheart was an officer. The brooch carries the badge of an Infantry Regiment, the 19th (County of London) Battalion, St Pancras. It is engraved "South Africa, 1899 - 1902". The gold has a reddish colour, whcih contrasts well with the red and blue enamel. It is lovely quality, even the clasp and pin are in 15 ct gold. Both the brooch and pin are stamped "15ct", these are the only hallmarks. 15 ct gold was only used in Britian between 1854 and 1932, when the 15 ct and 12 ct standards were replaced by 14 carat.
A lovely silver belt buckle, decorated with a mother of pearl flower with purple, white and orange colours, which change colour as it catches the light. The buckle is also engraved with leaves and flowers in bright cut fashion. The buckle has Birmingham hallmarks, with makers or retailers mark "FHA Ld" overstriking other marks, including the date letter. FH Adams used this mark between 1908 and 1915, they worked from New John Street. Given the style of decoration and lovely mother of pearl work, it is possible the buckle is continental in origin, and received Birmingham marks after import into Britian.