A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A collectable antique silver fob medallion depicting a footballer kicking a ball, and engraved "C.R.F.U., Second Team, 1905". The footballer has a beaded border, set on medallion shaped fob with flying scrolls. The hallmarks are clear. CRFU today stands for "Cornwall Rugby Football Union", but given the round ball we feel this was more likely a football rather than rugby club. Charles Winter worked between 1904 and 1911, first at Soho Metal Works and later at Soho Scientific Instrument Co. (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths).
A delightful silver whistle in full working order, it emits a piercing and loud whistle (which certainly attracted attention when we tested it!). The whistle is engraved with scrolling foliage, and has a ring and link to allow it to be suspended from a chain or chatelaine. The hallmarks are very clear. This would make a lovely and functional pendant on a silver necklace. William John Hutchinson worked between 1900 and 1929.
A well modelled silver equestrian medal, showing a horse rider with hounds on the front, and 3 horses in a field with a tree on the rear. It reads "Hunters Improvement and National, Light Horse Breeding Society, 1932". The medallion was modelled by Frank Hyams Ld, as indicated by his signature.
A lovely antique Irish silver brooch in the form of the Irish harp. The harp is decorated with traditional Celtic motifs, in the traditional manner. The hallmarks are clear, except Hibernia who is only partially visible.
An original antique silver Wembley badge, depicting the Wembley lion in silver set in tortoiseshell, with silver rim. Wembley, "The home of Legends", is amongst the most famous football stadiums in the world. This badge would have been made to commemorate the opening of Wembley by King George V in 1924. The Wembley lion, designed by Herrick in Egyptian style, was the symbol of the British Empire Exhibition of 1924 - the "Lion of Industry". Collett & Anderson were known for producing silver and tortoiseshell badges and brooches. The hallmarks are clear.
A Scottish silver clan badge, which can be worn as a pendant or as a brooch or kilt sash pin. The badge comprises a "Lions Head Effrontee" (looking forward) with the motto "I Bear in Mind". This is the crest and motto of the Campbell clan of Barbreck. The Campbells are one of the most powerful clans of Scotland, descendants of King Robert Bruce. The Campbells of Barbreck are from the Argyll district. The badge is very good quality, the lion is cast and has lovely detail, it stands out from the badge. It is a pleasing weight, and hangs well from a chain. The hallmarks are clear, and include makers mark RWF. The badge also has a silver plaque which reads " R.W. Forsyth Ltd, Edinburgh & Glasgow". R.W. Forsyth was a leading Scottish department store from 1897 until the 1980's.
A sterling silver fob medallion depicting a footballer (soccer player) kicking a ball. The detail is good, and the surrounding design of laurel wreath, triangles and crown is interesting. The hallmarks are clear. The connecting ring is also hallmarked. James Fenton worked from Great Hampton Street between 1856 and 1954. Fob medallions would have been attached to a gentlemen's "Albert" (watch chain), the now make attractive necklace pendants.
An antique Dutch silver Zeeland Button costume belt buckle, in excellent condition. The buckle has 14 silver Zeeland buttons (Zilver Zeeuwse Knop), 2 large and 12 small, on a rectangular belt buckle, with central supporting strut for attachment to belt. The buttons themselves are made to a traditional design, with balls and filigree work, each Zeeland district has a slight variation. The buckle has 2 hallmarks, makers mark JW and the Dutch sword mark quality guarantee. The Dutch Button has been part of the Zeeland traditional costume since the 18th century.
A Scottish Provincial sterling silver brooch from Aberdeen, with a silver rim surrounding a polished oval pink granite. Aberdeen is known as the "Granite City", with its' building stone quarried from Rubislaw Quarry. The brooch is hallmarked with makers mark R&S and ABD, the unofficial Aberdeen town mark. Rettie and Son worked between 1824 and 1892, and are well known for their jewellery with the local granite (Benjamin, Antique Jewellery, page 92). The book "Aberdeen Silver, A Collectors Guide, Michael Wilson, pg 56, describes Rettie & Sons as "famous for silver and granite jewellery" Wilson also explains that the salmon pink granite used in this brooch is from the Corrennie Quarry, granite from Rubislaw is grey (pg 14).
A lovely blue and white enamel and silver buckle of very good quality, in a circular floral shape. The buckle has a separate silver loop for attachment, and 4 matching silver and enamel buttons, complete with fastening attachment. The buckle is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, the buttons are all stamped "Sterling", probably of continental origin. Levi and Salaman were known for their souvenir spoons and enamel novelties and jewellery.
An interesting British Arts & Crafts medallion, which could be worn as a pendant. The pendant has the Manchester Coat of Arms, complete with sailing ship and globe signifying Manchester's world trade, with bees on the globe signifying the industrial revolution. The supporters include an antelope and lion, and the motto "Concilio et Labore", translated "By Wisdom and Effort". The medallion also has Arts and Crafts symbols, including hammer & anvil, paintboard and brush, and hammer & wheel. The back is engraved "Awarded to Mabel Maynard for Miniature Painting, Manchester April 1901". The hallmarks are clear, and the loop is also hallmarked.
A Boer War silver belt buckle, with pith helmet above 2 crossed rifles with bayonets attached, surrounded by a wreath with the British national flowers (rose, thistle, shamrock and leek). The engraving is quite attractive. Unfortunately we have not been able to identify the regiment, we have seen nurse's buckles similar to this, but feel the presence of rifles makes a nursing attribution unlikely.
A silver prize fob medallion, of the Surbiton Motor Club (just outside London), awarded for the London to Barnstaple race in 1927. The medallion is beautiful, and features a maiden in flowing dress holding a laurel wreath, and a shield with 3 fish, we assume the crest of the Surbiton motor club. The medallion is well made, the detail is excellent, this would make an attractive necklace pendant. The rear of the medallion has a laurel wreath, and is engraved "London Barnstaple 1927 A.W. Alliston". The hallmarks are clear.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
A lovely silver belt buckle, decorated with a mother of pearl flower with purple, white and orange colours, which change colour as it catches the light. The buckle is also engraved with leaves and flowers in bright cut fashion. The buckle has Birmingham hallmarks, with makers or retailers mark "FHA Ld" overstriking other marks, including the date letter. FH Adams used this mark between 1908 and 1915, they worked from New John Street. Given the style of decoration and lovely mother of pearl work, it is possible the buckle is continental in origin, and received Birmingham marks after import into Britian.
A lovely Irish silver torque, hand crafted with clearly visible hand hammered marks. This is a neck torque (as opposed to a bangle torque intended for a wrist). Torques are a traditional Celtic design.
Padraig O'Mathuna worked from the lovely town of Cashel in Tipperary. Cashel is the traditional seat of the Kings of Munster.
A Boer War "sweetheart brooch" in 15 carat gold, so we assume the sweetheart was an officer. The brooch carries the badge of an Infantry Regiment, the 19th (County of London) Battalion, St Pancras. It is engraved "South Africa, 1899 - 1902". The gold has a reddish colour, whcih contrasts well with the red and blue enamel. It is lovely quality, even the clasp and pin are in 15 ct gold. Both the brooch and pin are stamped "15ct", these are the only hallmarks. 15 ct gold was only used in Britian between 1854 and 1932, when the 15 ct and 12 ct standards were replaced by 14 carat.
A lovely 9 carat gold music prize medallion, decorated with crisp and finely detailed musical instruments, including a harp, violin, trombone, oboe and clarinet, complete with sheets of music. The medallion is engraved "SFCC EISTEDDFOD, 1922, SENr Piano Solo, 1st Prize, Miss M Butt". The engraving has been done by hand. The medallion is attached to a gold link by scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark T&S, 9 ct gold hallmarks, Birmingham town mark and date letter for 1922. The ring also has gold hallmarks.