A Gold and enamel sweetheart brooch for the Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own), set on a gold safety pin for attachment. The brooch has the regimental badge, complete with battle honours "ALBUHERA" in white enamel, "ICH DIEN" and "MIDDLESEX REGT" in blue enamel, and the Royal coronet of the Duke of Cambridge in red enamel. The badge also has gold Prince of Wales plumes, and the cypher of Prince George, Duke of Cambridge. The brooch has no hallmarks, but most brooches of this period were 15 Carat gold. The regiment existed between 1881 and 1966, but has battle honours from Albuhera (Peninsular War, 16 May 1811), their nickname was the "Die Hards". They fought during the Anglo Boer War (Relief of Ladysmith), First World War and Second World War, when they were a machine gun regiment. We believe this brooch to be either Boer War or WWI period.
A 9 carat gold Natal Cadet Bisley shooting trophy medallion for 1907. The medallion has the emblem of the Natal Carbineers, South Africa's senior regiment, used prior to 1910, with the British Royal Coat of Arms above two running antelope. The Royal arms include mottoes "Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense", and "Dieu en Mon Droit" clearly readable. The medallion has clear hallmarks, including E & Co for Elkington, a leading British silversmith, and the numbers 9 and 375 representing 9 carat gold. The original loop is also gold, and is hallmarked with tiny marks. This medallion would be suitable to be worn as a pendant. Bisley is a small English village that since 1890 has been the home of the National Rifle Association championships, hence the name of the shooting medallion. The Bisley revolver has been used for target shooting since 1894.
An interesting British Arts & Crafts medallion, which could be worn as a pendant. The pendant has the Manchester Coat of Arms, complete with sailing ship and globe signifying Manchester's world trade, with bees on the globe signifying the industrial revolution. The supporters include an antelope and lion, and the motto "Concilio et Labore", translated "By Wisdom and Effort". The medallion also has Arts and Crafts symbols, including hammer & anvil, paintboard and brush, and hammer & wheel. The back is engraved "Awarded to Mabel Maynard for Miniature Painting, Manchester April 1901". The hallmarks are clear, and the loop is also hallmarked.
A lovely gold lady golfer medallion or brooch, with a lady golfer in full swing, above a scroll reading "R D L G C", possibly Royal Durban Ladies Golf Club. The medallion has 2 different colours of gold, a redder colour and also brighter yellow colour, which combined with the texture makes the picture stand out. The back of the medallion is engraved "W.m PAY LOVING CUP, 1935, J HEY", the original winner of the medallion. The medallion has a 14 carat gold pin and clasp on the back, allowing it to be worn as a brooch (this could be easily removed, allowing the medallion to be worn as a pendant). The hallmarks are clear, including makers mark for Marples and Beasley, who were jewellers and medallists, they worked between 1899 and 1994. The other hallmarks include 9 and .375 indicating 9 carat gold, and date letter for 1921, so it was made some time before it was awarded.
A rare 9 carat gold Currie Cup medallion, issued by the South African Football Association, which would have been presented to members of the South African Rugby Team who won the Currie Cup. The medallion is lovely and depicts a springbok and a wildebeest, presumably standing on Robben Island with Table Mountain, Cape Town in the background. The front reads "South African Football Association", the back reads "Currie Cup won by", with the space for the name and the year left blank. This dates back to before the Second World War, before the word rugby was used in the organisation's title. The medallion has 4 hallmarks, springbok head indication South African origin, 9ct for 9 carat gold, date letter Z and makers mark "SAM" for South African Mint. We have tentatively dated this to 1938, as the only other one we have seen is dated 1938, perhaps the trophy was interrupted by the arrival of World War II, hence the lack of inscription.
A Chinese jade pendant with 14 carat gold clasp and ring. The jade is light green, with some natural dark green patches. The pendant is kidney shaped, and both sides have a carved tree. The gold ring is hallmarked "14 K, 585" indicating 14 carat gold, which is 58.5% pure. 14 Carat gold is often used for jewellery. According to Chinese tradition, sons are thought fortunate, and in celebration male progeny is often presented with a piece of jade.
A lovely Emerald and God Neckpiece, with 21 Brazilian emeralds set in a decorative 12 carat gold necklace. The emeralds have an average size of 0.365 ct, the clarity is good, cut good and colour very slightly blueish green.
The neck piece was appraised in 2010 by a registered Gemologist Appraiser (ISG) and member of the Jewellery Council of South Africa,the replacement value then was R 27 187 (South African Rands, approximately US $ 3200). The original certificate accompanies this purchase.
A collectable antique silver fob medallion depicting a footballer kicking a ball, and engraved "C.R.F.U., Second Team, 1905". The footballer has a beaded border, set on medallion shaped fob with flying scrolls. The hallmarks are clear. CRFU today stands for "Cornwall Rugby Football Union", but given the round ball we feel this was more likely a football rather than rugby club. Charles Winter worked between 1904 and 1911, first at Soho Metal Works and later at Soho Scientific Instrument Co. (Culme, Gold and Silversmiths).
A lovely blue and white enamel and silver buckle of very good quality, in a circular floral shape. The buckle has a separate silver loop for attachment, and 4 matching silver and enamel buttons, complete with fastening attachment. The buckle is fully hallmarked with clear hallmarks, the buttons are all stamped "Sterling", probably of continental origin. Levi and Salaman were known for their souvenir spoons and enamel novelties and jewellery.
A lovely silver belt buckle, decorated with a mother of pearl flower with purple, white and orange colours, which change colour as it catches the light. The buckle is also engraved with leaves and flowers in bright cut fashion. The buckle has Birmingham hallmarks, with makers or retailers mark "FHA Ld" overstriking other marks, including the date letter. FH Adams used this mark between 1908 and 1915, they worked from New John Street. Given the style of decoration and lovely mother of pearl work, it is possible the buckle is continental in origin, and received Birmingham marks after import into Britian.
A sterling silver fob medallion depicting a footballer (soccer player) kicking a ball. The detail is good, and the surrounding design of laurel wreath, triangles and crown is interesting. The hallmarks are clear. The connecting ring is also hallmarked. James Fenton worked from Great Hampton Street between 1856 and 1954. Fob medallions would have been attached to a gentlemen's "Albert" (watch chain), the now make attractive necklace pendants.
A silver and gold fob medal with unengraved central shield, which we assume is 9ct gold. The medallion is engraved "Interworks Charity Competition Winners, 1943-1944, Vickers F.C., W. Finlay". This is interesting as it indicates that even in the middle of World War II, the workers of Vickers (major armaments manufacturers) still found time for a charity football competition. The awarding of silver and gold during the austere war years is unusual, but as can be seen from the date it was manufactured some time before war broke out, and kept in stock.
A set of 3 delightful fob medals, all won by H. Duncan of Camps Bay Amateur Swimming Club, South Africa. The first shows a lifesaver in action, with the words "The Royal Lifesaving Society, Competition Medal - Henry Cup, 1925, 1st, H. Duncan, Camps Bay A.S.C." The second shows a swimmer diving into a pool, and reads "RD 679779, C.B.A.S.C. Club C'ship, 1925-26, 3rd, H. Duncan". The 3rd, oval in shape, shows a swimmer with a yacht in the background, reads "C.P. Schools under 14 Team Race Championship, Gordons Cup, 1922". (C.P. stands for Cape Province). All 3 medals have clear hallmarks, the makers are Joseph Duffern & Co, William Hair Haseler and the unidentified JM respectively. WH Haseler had close ties with Liberty & Co.
A lovely 9 carat gold music prize medallion, decorated with crisp and finely detailed musical instruments, including a harp, violin, trombone, oboe and clarinet, complete with sheets of music. The medallion is engraved "SFCC EISTEDDFOD, 1922, SENr Piano Solo, 1st Prize, Miss M Butt". The engraving has been done by hand. The medallion is attached to a gold link by scrolling foliage. The hallmarks are very clear, including makers mark T&S, 9 ct gold hallmarks, Birmingham town mark and date letter for 1922. The ring also has gold hallmarks.
A lovely Irish silver torque, hand crafted with clearly visible hand hammered marks. This is a neck torque (as opposed to a bangle torque intended for a wrist). Torques are a traditional Celtic design.
Padraig O'Mathuna worked from the lovely town of Cashel in Tipperary. Cashel is the traditional seat of the Kings of Munster.
A magnificent Scottish kilt sash brooch, used to hold the shoulder plaid in place. The brooch has cast thistles and celtic "buttons" surrounding a spectacular cairngorm (commonly known as citrine, also called black quartz or smoky quartz). The gemstone is very impressive, amongst the largest we have seen. It has been estimated at over 100 carats, and is a round brilliant cut.
The hallmarks are clear, with retailers mark J.S.McL (McLeod we assume) overstriking the makers mark. Scottish citrine is called cairngorm after its place of origin in the Scottish Highlands, and is the November birthstone, also the symbol of brightness, life and hope.
A Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) silver pendant by the famed Murrle Bennett & Co. The pendant is hammered silver, set with a turquoise cabochon, flanked by eight studs and four cut out scrolls. The pendant has the MB&Co makers mark, and 950 standard mark (incuse). Murrle Bennett was founded by Ernst Murrle and JB Bennett, they specialised in high quality but reasonably priced jewellery in the Art Nouveau (Jugendstil) style. They were London based, but production took place in Pforzheim, Germany. They had their own catalog and shop, but also sold through Liberty & Co.
A Cheshire Regiment 9 ct gold sweetheart brooch, with "Cheshire Regt" in blue enamel under the regimental oak leaves. The pin is stamped "9ct gold", no other hallmarks are present. The pin is still in its original box, marked "Dimmer & Son, 20 Eastgate Row, Chester".
The regiment was raised in 1689, and won the distinction of wearing the oak leaves at Dettingen, for protecting the king during the battle. The regimental motto is "Ever Glorious". They fought numerous engagements in the Anglo Boer War, including the capture of Johannesburg, and also raised 38 battalions during the Great war. In 2007 the regiment was merged into the Mercian regiment.
A fob medallion depicting a golfer in full swing. The central cartouche is gilded, the detail of the golfer and surrounds is very good. The hallmarks are clear. Thomas Skelton worked from Vyse Street, Birmingham between 1909 and 1961. Sporting fobs were often used as sporting trophies in the early 20th century. Suitable as pendant.
A lovely antique Irish silver brooch in the form of the Irish harp. The harp is decorated with traditional Celtic motifs, in the traditional manner. The hallmarks are clear, except Hibernia who is only partially visible.